Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

53 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@TRO to be honest I find the idea that Hourihane hasn't contributed enough this season rather odd, he has 7 goals from central midfield. 

I appreciate what you're saying about him driving forward more and I would say that recently he has been doing that, notably since given license to. I think he just had a wanky day at the office up in Sheffield then a merely OK performance on Saturday. I'm not sure he's the 'dominate the ball' player in this system either - that's Jack's role. Isn't he your Mortimer? 

Hourihane just isn't a weak link for me, I think it's a case of 'what have you done for me lately'. 

perhaps its me getting ahead of myself. I accept I was being a bit picky.

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think he has done pretty well this season overall. The trouble is with his role is that it is not as easily definable as the two alongside him. Whelan/Jedi/Birkir are the holding midfielders whose job is to break up play and keep it simple. Grealish is the attacking mid who makes things happen and links up with the front three. Hourihane for me should be the box to box midfielder just as someone like Ian Taylor was. He does well in terms of chipping in with the odd goal but I think he could impose himself more.

I certainly wouldn't look to drop him and definitely not for Onomah. If anyone was to come in for him it would be Lansbury who I don't think has shown anything like what he is capable of offering.

Yeah, its just me mark looking for a bit of perfection....I would not drop him either.

Interesting how Calderwood remarked that we need to be a bit more aggressive.....I think he is right.

starting Sunday.

I too would like to see us dominate the ball a bit more.....but hey ho! 6 in 6.....I'll shut up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Hourihane is one of our quietly better players. I really wonder if people watch the same matches as I do sometimes. 

Watch our goals: Aston Villa 3 - 2 Burton Albion

1st goal - Hourihane plays a key 1-2 pass with Snodgrass which opens up the space for Snodgrass to exploit and pass into adomah resulting in Hogan's tap in.

2nd goal - Hourihane sprints back, intercepts an albion pass, then plays a through ball to Hogan, who lays it off to snodgrass who crosses it into Adomah for the goal. This goal doesn't happen if it weren't for Hourihane's defensive work, then his passing ability. 

Hourihane was then subbed off. 

Hourihane had one poor match against Sheffield, but has largely been one of the key players to our success this season. His effort and energy in midfield disrupts plays. His passing ability allows us to retain possession and spring attacks. Plus he chips in with goals. From the CM position, Hourihane is statistically one of the best in the league. 

I would agree with most of this. He just has the odd game where he goes missing for large parts. Tbf not many midfielders play well every week. He is our second top goalscorer and does well when it comes to tackles, passing and ground covered. You can't really ask for more than that. I think people thought he was this playmaker when he has never been one. He is a box to box player who chips in with goals and gets his assists largely on set pieces. His delivery is fantastic but we also have Snodgrass who takes the majority of corners and free kicks for us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's just a solid player who was being massively overrated by some on here. He has done enough to keep his place, he's consistent enough for the most part but lacks quality when it comes to forward passing and doesn't exactly dictate the midfield. 

Well I still massively rate him. I think he's underrated on the whole. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Was having another average game I thought...fair play what a hit.

Interesting how people see different things. I thought he was good, did what he needed to and affected the game going forward, his movement for the first goal was brilliant.

Just made some odd decisions towards the end

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Interesting how people see different things. I thought he was good, did what he needed to and affected the game going forward, his movement for the first goal was brilliant.

Just made some odd decisions towards the end

Yep was really intelligent movement for 1st , just stepped into the line of the defender trying to shift across 

It wasn't a great performance overall but two really big contributions. For the first goal he blocked off the Birmingham player who was trying to close down Adomah, without this I doubt Adomah would have got his shot off as easily and then of course the goal, which was a truly fantastic strike. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

That goal will be remembered as one of the best against small Heath.

stunning strike!

It's definitely up there, but i still have a liking for Cahill's overhead kick more.  However,  I'll happily watch this one again and again.   UTV

• Like 2

Goals like that are some of my favourites. It's no mean feat to get it over the keeper but down into the bottom corner, suggests he had complete control over it. I also thought he'd had a poor game before that, but honestly as I saw that header falling to one of our players in that position I thought 'I hope that's Hourihane'. 

• Like 1

Â