Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

When you have a rubbish team, which there's no escaping we are at the moment, then I value work rate very very highly. Add in the set pieces and the smattering of goals and he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. Doesn't mean he's amazing, just means he's better than the rest. And I don't think there's many people who would rather have Bjarnasson, Lansbury or Onomah in that role. He's definitely way better than two of them (possibly all three) and he's definitely got a better attitude than some of them. 

Hourihane is the least of our problems. Especially at this level.

I don't disagree. He should start. 

But I do disagree with people who keep saying he's an attacking midfielder. He isn't. He's too one-footed and can't pick a through-ball. I was sat in the upper Doug near the Holte so I had an excellent view of Hourihane, Bjarnason and Taylor repeatedly failing to create a chance or put a decent ball into the box. 

• Like 3

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

But I do disagree with people who keep saying he's an attacking midfielder. He isn't. He's too one-footed and can't pick a through-ball. I was sat in the upper Doug near the Holte so I had an excellent view of Hourihane, Bjarnason and Taylor repeatedly failing to create a chance or put a decent ball into the box. 

Yeah I was sat roughly the same place, there was a time when we were on the break and Taylor was completely free on the left and he didn't even look in that direction and just shot, despite a defender right in front of him so it was inevitably blocked.

Really needs to start looking at the picture around him, I remember Merson used to look around and have a idea of where everyone was before he even received the ball. I'm not saying he needs to be as good as Merse, but that ball today through to Taylor would have had him clean through on goal. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've been saying this for months, I'm glad more people are seeing it. He's pretty good at crossing and good at set pieces, shooting and can arrive late in the box and get a shot off in space. But his through-balls are either poor or just non-existent. He often doesn't see the pass and elects to play the simple ball, and contrary to what some say this isn't Bruce's fault, it's just a fundamental flaw in Hourihane's game. 

He's a solid player, that's about it.

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've been saying this for months, I'm glad more people are seeing it. He's pretty good at crossing and good at set pieces, shooting and can arrive late in the box and get a shot off in space. But his through-balls are either poor or just non-existent. He often doesn't see the pass and elects to play the simple ball, and contrary to what some say this isn't Bruce's fault, it's just a fundamental flaw in Hourihane's game. 

Fair summary. 

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He doesn't really hit the ball forward with any pace or purpose, it is usually an under hit side foot easily cut out. His delivery from set pieces is decent but his delivery from open play in wide areas is abysmal.

Saying that, that is the level we are at and he is probably still one of the best all rounders in the division :)

42 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed 100%. The idea that he’s one of the best midfielders in the division is laughable. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He doesn't really hit the ball forward with any pace or purpose, it is usually an under hit side foot easily cut out. His delivery from set pieces is decent but his delivery from open play in wide areas is abysmal.

Saying that, that is the level we are at and he is probably still one of the best all rounders in the division :)

I genuinely don't know, he could well be, such is the lack of quality at this level. 6 goals and 2 assists for a central midfielder isn't bad at all half way into a season.  

He is a top player in this league. Massive improvement from the gardner/westwood combo we had previously. With Grealish infront and jedinak behind he does a very good job of helping out with both attack and defence and his work rate is excellent. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2018 at 09:23, Junxs said:

Yeah I was sat roughly the same place, there was a time when we were on the break and Taylor was completely free on the left and he didn't even look in that direction and just shot, despite a defender right in front of him so it was inevitably blocked.

Really needs to start looking at the picture around him, I remember Merson used to look around and have a idea of where everyone was before he even received the ball. I'm not saying he needs to be as good as Merse, but that ball today through to Taylor would have had him clean through on goal. 

I heard a similar compliment of Fabregas, that he is always taking a look around and assessing where players are around him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t think Hourihane wildly celebrated his goal yesterday as to not upset the Barnsley fans but certainly didn’t not celebrate at all! 

He looked well chuffed with both scoring and the play leading up to it by Grealish.

i was impressed to see the team celebrating as a unit after each goal - showed there’s real signs of togetherness in the camp.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I didn’t think Hourihane wildly celebrated his goal yesterday as to not upset the Barnsley fans but certainly didn’t not celebrate at all! 

He looked well chuffed with both scoring and the play leading up to it by Grealish.

i was impressed to see the team celebrating as a unit after each goal - showed there’s real signs of togetherness in the camp.  

I think he knew it was a formality to actually score the thing. The goal totally belonged to Jack and I think he was just acknowledging that. He was just the one who put it in. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's quite funny how precious football fans get about aplayer celebrating when they score. against their old club

Yeah I agree. Also to add, it was not like he did an Adebayor, he could not have been further from the away fans and kept it to an understated celebration in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah I agree. Also to add, it was not like he did an Adebayor, he could not have been further from the away fans and kept it to an understated celebration in my opinion.

Totally agree. I thought he underplayed it. I assumed it was out of respect for his old team.

Â