Jump to content

Conor Hourihane


dont_do_it_doug.
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't think he was poor, he works hard and generally his passing is tidy but safe. He isn't really an incisive passer, and when he had a couple of big chances to play people in he got it wrong, those moments perhaps stick in the mind more than the unspectacular graft that he does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I've said before, he's a shade above average at this level, he's a decent player for us but does have a lot of limitations. He gets about the pitch very well, a good athlete who gets stuck in, reads the game pretty well and has a good delivery and shot, but what really strikes me is how poor he is at through balls, often he doesn't see the pass and then when he does his execution of pass is badly lacking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/11/2017 at 09:57, Dr_Pangloss said:

As I've said before, he's a shade above average at this level, he's a decent player for us but does have a lot of limitations. He gets about the pitch very well, a good athlete who gets stuck in, reads the game pretty well and has a good delivery and shot, but what really strikes me is how poor he is at through balls, often he doesn't see the pass and then when he does his execution of pass is badly lacking. 

I see what you mean.  He's okay at everything, especially at this level.  PL would be too quick for him maybe?  I don't know, that may be unfair. 

He's certainly not quick though.  A couple of times on Saturday, Ipswich's marauding LB broke against us and he didn't have the speed to catch up with him.  I like how he does the simple things though.  He's tidy, he does put himself about and he's quite reliable.  He always looks to get the ball forward and if under pressure, he's good enough to get himself out of trouble.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I really advise people who think Hourihane is average to focus on him next match. You'll see how many of our attacks start with Hourihane being able to link the defense to the attack. Hourihane also has a great work ethic. He runs all around the pitch and pops up with good tackles. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2017 at 09:57, Dr_Pangloss said:

As I've said before, he's a shade above average at this level, he's a decent player for us but does have a lot of limitations. He gets about the pitch very well, a good athlete who gets stuck in, reads the game pretty well and has a good delivery and shot, but what really strikes me is how poor he is at through balls, often he doesn't see the pass and then when he does his execution of pass is badly lacking. 

Wow he has a lot of attributes for a (above) average player at this level.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he will struggle premier league level, but he has done ok here. would liek to see him get abit more forward and show some more attacking play as we know he knows how to score goals 

Agree Dem though I'll caveat that by going a bit Brucey and say it's tough to change too much after winning three games in a week. 

However it does seem a bit odd that we finally gave him some more licence to go forward in the Norwich game. He scored a hatrick and I think he's played half a game with that same position since. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

Agree Dem though I'll caveat that by going a bit Brucey and say it's tough to change too much after winning three games in a week. 

However it does seem a bit odd that we finally gave him some more licence to go forward in the Norwich game. He scored a hatrick and I think he's played half a game with that same position since. 

I guess the reasoning behind this is to account for onomahs role? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

Think he would have had a better game without Onomah on the pitch. The difference wasn't Lansbury vs Hourihane but just giving the player in that position a bit of a chance without the ballhogging, useless passing, no effort, sulking Onomah on the pitch.

Indeed.He was doing a great Ayew impression tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, omariqy said:

Pretty terrible today. Expect Lansbury to start ahead of him next week.

See the thing is I have been critical of him recently and got shot down, but I thought he played today exactly like I always see him play. 

I wondered if I was ball watching too much when I criticised him so paid special attention on the tellybox to see all the hidden work I seem to be missing live, but he seemed just the same. Gives the ball away pretty much all the time, not really closing down or tackling. Just offers nothing for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Pretty terrible today. Expect Lansbury to start ahead of him next week.

Welp, it's why we have the squad lads, players will dip in form, and others will be chomping at the bit to come in.

Might be perfect timing, Landsbury will be fresh, and some of the others might need a break AND kick up the arse to be fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â