Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

I really thought after rNorwich  game he was kick on with goals but he seems to have reverted back to the hourihane of last year. Tends to go missing in games. Is he being instructed to play negatively and not to get forward or is it the lad himself?

He clearly knows where thw back of tge net is but i cant remember the last shot he has taken that resulted in a save or goal. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I really thought after rNorwich  game he was kick on with goals but he seems to have reverted back to the hourihane of last year. Tends to go missing in games. Is he being instructed to play negatively and not to get forward or is it the lad himself?

He clearly knows where thw back of tge net is but i cant remember the last shot he has taken that resulted in a save or goal. 

He is playing the box to box role. Most midfielders who play that role get 5-8 goals a season. Hourihane is an attacking mid, but he is playing a lot deeper. His passing has been fine, but I do wish he'd have a hit some time. His shooting is really good.

Also why is he not on corners and set pieces? I am sick of seeing Snodgrass fail to get past the first man, and keep doing it. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

He is playing the box to box role. Most midfielders who play that role get 5-8 goals a season. Hourihane is an attacking mid, but he is playing a lot deeper. His passing has been fine, but I do wish he'd have a hit some time. His shooting is really good.

Also why is he not on corners and set pieces? I am sick of seeing Snodgrass fail to get past the first man, and keep doing it. 

Yea i agree about the set.pieces. snodgrasses are terrible. Hourihane are always different and dangerous.

I agree bruce needs to be playing him in a more advanced role he scores goals fact when he does

• Like 1

Hourihane seems to be getting more crab-like with every game, and seems to now be more Whelan junior than attacking mid.

He's got a decent shot on him, but lacks a forward pass, pace and the ability to beat a man, so I don't know if he should really be too far up the pitch. Agreed he should be on set pieces though.

He is so average. Never seen him command a game. I know that people hate Whelan on this thread but he offers so much more than Conor. Whelan is good at his limited game (not saying he is good or the answer but he does contribute). Conor is not good at anything. Weak in the tackle. Weak in possession. No pace. Set pieces are generally poor. He covers a lot of ground but to little effect. All round very average.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What an horrifically negative performance, every instinct was to go sidewards or backwards. Waste of space.

If i was to judge Conor on his Villa career alone i would agree with you. But if you look at his career as a whole, I'd place an awful lot of the blame on Bruce. Conor is has not, and never will flourish in the role Bruce is asking him to play. 

Bruce's insistence on shoe horning Whelan is to blame. We saw it with Lansbury when came in. Whelan for some reason plays the more advanced role and both Lansbury and Hourihane end up sitting. Baffles me. He is like a poor mans Barry. You need him joining up attacks with the full backs and getting in and around the box.

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

If i was to judge Conor on his Villa career alone i would agree with you. But if you look at his career as a whole, I'd place an awful lot of the blame on Bruce. Conor is has not, and never will flourish in the role Bruce is asking him to play. 

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

When has he done anything at this level? He had a few good months at Barnsley and that is it. His lower league stats before that are average at best. He offers little at this level. We should have left him where he was.

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

When has he done anything at this level? He had a few good months at Barnsley and that is it. His lower league stats before that are average at best. He offers little at this level. We should have left him where he was.

2011–2014 Plymouth Argyle125 (15 goals)

2014–2017 Barnsley 112 (29 goals)

A few good months is stretching it pal. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

2011–2014 Plymouth Argyle125 (15 goals)

2014–2017 Barnsley 112 (29 goals)

A few good months is stretching it pal. 

Not wanting to call you out pal but please remind me how many of those games were at “this level”? He has only been in the championship for 18 months. First 6 good and the rest poor/average.

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Not wanting to call you out pal but please remind me how many of those games were at “this level”? He has only been in the championship for 18 months. First 6 good and the rest poor/average.

11 of those goals came in the Championship. And as @omariqy said, he has been been one of the best players at this level for 2 years.

He comes to Villa, Bruce stops him doing what has made him that player by playing him out of position and surprise surprise, he doesn't look as good. 

Its on Bruce. 

Â