Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What isn't good enough? His tackling?

Lampard weren't great defensively either.

I like to look at Hourihane as a poor man's Lampard. Similar type of player.

In my opinion he goes missing when we don't do well. And he doesn't really influence the game when we're doing well either.

But, like I said, his contributions to goals, assists and set pieces are huge, he seems to have the right instinct to be in the right place at the right time.

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

In my opinion he goes missing when we don't do well. And he doesn't really influence the game when we're doing well either.

But, like I said, his contributions to goals, assists and set pieces are huge, he seems to have the right instinct to be in the right place at the right time.

You are not wrong, but.......If the other players like Nakamba, Luiz, Targett, Engles,Mings, Guilbert can provide the steel, we don't have to rely on Conor to do a job he is not geared up for.

as some other poster pointed out Lampard was not a tackler, nor was Platt......a player who gives us balance and goals, cannot be easily over looked.....His ability to shoot with accuracy from c 20+ yards out is invaluable....his transition play is not bad either.

Edited by TRO

He’s a midfield version of Darren bent in my eyes. His seconds worth of contributions can be oh so valuable however the rest of the time ultimately you are going to be carrying him. It was that way in the championship so to expect much different now would be silly. I guess that’s a balance that needs to be weighed up on a game to game basis in fairness, we aren’t good enough to carry a passenger in all games at this level like we were last year but against the bottom half it’s definitely feasible with how I’ve seen us play so far.

Its just nice to have midfield options for the first time in god knows how long where we have a genuine choice to make, think Douglas will play against the stronger sides, particularly when away from home where his overall play and ball retention becomes a tad more valuable but as I say it’s a pretty nice choice to have and there’s benefits to both rather than picking between shit and piss like we’ve had to do for all too long over the years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Not even close to being our best midfielder (which says just how much quality we have there these days), but he's repaid his transfer fee many many times over.

I understand the arguments, but the situation is not clear.

You could pay out 20 mill and not have a left peg like his.....He has his shortfalls of course, but I think he has got better since he joined us.

He is 28, so naturally he will be replaced in due course......but he does take up dangerous positions too.....I think he is more of an asset than we give him credit for.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand the arguments, but the situation is not clear.

You could pay out 20 mill and not have a left peg like his.....He has his shortfalls of course, but I think he has got better since he joined us.

He is 28, so naturally he will be replaced in due course......but he does take up dangerous positions too.....I think he is more of an asset than we give him credit for.

That's what I'm trying to say? He's been great value for money.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TRO said:

You are not wrong, but.......If the other players like Nakamba, Luiz, Targett, Engles,Mings, Guilbert can provide the steel, we don't have to rely on Conor to do a job he is not geared up for.

as some other poster pointed out Lampard was not a tackler, nor was Platt......a player who gives us balance and goals, cannot be easily over looked.....His ability to shoot with accuracy from c 20+ yards out is invaluable....his transition play is not bad either.

My action proposal was to play him for the whole of second half in most games. That's hardly overlooking, is it?

Surprisingly I think it is conner who wins our most penalties. He is just so good coming in with that delayed run where he either gets a really good chance to score or put a ball across goal or win a penalty. Got an assist and won a penalty doing that today.

On top of that he is also decent defensively for a more forward midfielder. If you compared him to someone like Ruben neves they probably are as good at defending as each other. The difference is neves is a better playmaker but we have Grealish and mcginn for that anyway so I'm happy with hourihane popping up and scoring. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What isn't good enough? His tackling?

Lampard weren't great defensively either.

I like to look at Hourihane as a poor man's Lampard. Similar type of player.

His passing is slow. He needs at least 2 touches to get the ball out of his feet. Lampard was a great passer.

He's also physically slow and weak. If he loses the ball, that's it he's not getting it back. Which isn't a huge deal in itself, but given that he's so slow to move the ball, he gets it taken off him a lot so it becomes an issue.

That said he's competent enough that he's not a huge hindrance to the team and he has an uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time offensively. He also has a great set piece on him. He'll always have a place in this squad.

• Like 1

On paper, Dougie is a better player. But in practice, Dougie’s lack of English language skills and Conor’s years of experience with the club mean that it’s his shirt to lose now imo. 

I totally agree with some posters’ comments that he went missing in too many championship games, but I think having him free up Jack in premier league games is underrated. It’s like one of those basketball players who, while not the most explosive individual, serves the interests of the rest of the team. 

Look at it this way, the last time we had a ‘tick over’ midfielder was Gavin McCann...

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

At 4-0 I saw him pull back a Narch player just to stop him getting into our half. Took the yellow card just to break up any momentum, something we've lacked in a few of our collapses; notably at the Emirates. He's influential, streetwise and fights tooth and nail for our cause. Really impressed with his attitude. Great player to have around.

• Like 1

When all is said and done, he's a real threat in the final third. Don't think he's quite good enough to be in a midfield 3 but with our new free-form midfield, he's thriving. If he's got the ball 20 yards from goal, you expect something decent from him every time - lovely technique. 

• Like 4

Â