Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Still would rather have Luiz. Scored a better goal than him too. One thing Conor does have is a knack for sniffing out attacking situations. He'll do nothing for the whole game but still pop up with a goal and an assist. The question is whether it's worth it to be carrying him got an entire match. We won't always be as dominant as today.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Still would rather have Luiz. Scored a better goal than him too. One thing Conor does have is a knack for sniffing out attacking situations. He'll do nothing for the whole game but still pop up with a goal and an assist. The question is whether it's worth it to be carrying him got an entire match. We won't always be as dominant as today.

His contribution is invaluable. Goals win games, and Conor probably has a better goal involvement per minute ratio than any of our other players.

Easily ahead of Luiz IMO, but I'd probably bring Luiz in vs City. 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

This would be a stronger argument for me if I were more sure that Luiz would really add more than Hourihane in a game we aren’t dominating. Perhaps a comparison of their scoring/assisting/set piece ability, even when we aren’t dominating a game, is as important.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

The safe option is to keep playing Hourihane.

He knows the system very well and will stay pretty consistent.

Bring Luiz in when things look more settled.

Very good point, weve struggled to settle in so many new players. Having stability with Conor will help us I think. That midfield has looked a lot more dominant in the last 2.

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

again, when we played without him, no one managed to take a single decent corner of free kick, so we lose a huge amount of threat.

We always seem to go for that short corner option. I guess it is because Mings really is our only decent header of the ball

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We always seem to go for that short corner option. I guess it is because Mings really is our only decent header of the ball

Didn’t Engles score quite a few last season? Even if Wes is poor in the (not saying he is as we haven’t really seen him have many chances like that), he’d still occupy the defence

Our midfield was so much more effective with Conor in the team. Goal capped it off but I thought his performance generally was excellent, he wanted the ball and was always looking to make things happen. That gave us John, Jack and Conor all looking to do that and Norwich just couldn't cope. Nakamba was excellent with breaking up play and with 3 players always showing for the ball and looking positive he always had options. Most positive I've seen us play in a long time, Norwich had no idea how to cope with those three, as poorly as they played and as many injuries as they had, the system still showed it's very hard to deal with, they still had 11 players on the pitch the same and no-one got close to Jack all match, and the closest they got to Conor resulted in a penalty.

The biggest question is going to be whether we need to drop Conor for a more defensive minded player in games where we'll be more overrun. Harsh how he's playing but you can't drop Jack or John. A nice headache for Smith to have, and I think we'll see his solution to it vs Man City.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

52 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

i think that is mainly because when Connor is not there Grealish takes most set pieces and he isn't good at them, I think even with Connor, Grealish will do a short corner routine, the same as quick free kicks he does to take the opposition by surprise, which is clearly something Dean encourages.

Edited by VillanousOne

One of those players who stays under the radar, a bit like david platt used to, while not as skillful as platt he has that 'knack' the one of just being their and creating or scoring.

If he was more dominant he would get more attention from the opposition and either keep improving like platt did and move on to another club or will become less of a threat.

The guy gives us a 35 yard threat from goal anywhere either direct or indirect.

Needs to be playing, while not new or trendy, he fits best into this system and 2 wingers dont.

Douglas will feel unhappy he isnt a starter each week but it's a team game and McGinn will always pick up cards so he will have to wait like connor did for his chance.

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Love seeing things like this.

Has grafted his way from the bottom all the way to the top.

When he falls he doesn't moan, he just works harder to improve and put it right.

I'm sure Dean Smith will have a soft spot for him as their are parallels with their careers and personalities.

Very much a part of the Villa family now.

• Like 3

Conor is a bit of a weird one, an in-betweener. His contributions are invaluable, but his overall game isn't good enough usually... what do you do with him?

Mostly, I would use him as a sub. But one that plays a lot. Like, all of second half or thereabouts.

Will happily admit that I didn’t see Hourihane being near the first team this season and would’ve been a cup/backup option only. It may turn out that he’s rotated a bit, but he’s taken his chances well. 

It’s really important that he drives into the box - something he didn’t do often enough for us in the Championship IMO - and he absolutely brought that against Norwich.

Cheeky taking the ball off Targett for his goal! Needed to be a great hit - and was. 

30 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Conor is a bit of a weird one, an in-betweener. His contributions are invaluable, but his overall game isn't good enough usually... what do you do with him?

Mostly, I would use him as a sub. But one that plays a lot. Like, all of second half or thereabouts.

What isn't good enough? His tackling?

Lampard weren't great defensively either.

I like to look at Hourihane as a poor man's Lampard. Similar type of player.

39 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Even some of the top clubs have their "Super Subs" to be fair.

I think eventually this is what Connor will be long term.

Bare in mind he has the best delivery (Have you seen our other set piece and corner takers? - Terrible).

He can score vital goals as we all know too.

So until we can get someone as deadly a finisher and set piece taker as Connor, WITH a better overall game, his place in our squad is cemented IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What isn't good enough? His tackling?

Lampard weren't great defensively either.

I like to look at Hourihane as a poor man's Lampard. Similar type of player.

He wasn't.

I think conor gives us balance and that too is important.....He is too good to leave out.

His wand of a left foot is a weapon and can change a game......Every team needs a game changer in the squad.

Edited by TRO

Â