Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

10 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Not much consideration for Henry in this thread.  I would have him ahead of CH in games where we are likely to come under the cosh a bit.  He has more energy, drive and aggression and also has a goal in him.  Not sure about Dougie L as yet as we haven't seen enough of him playing as an "8".

When we have the ball CH is a goal threat, when we don't have the ball he doesn't do enough for an "8" for me.

Agree with this. He is a bit to slow, a bit to weak, and lacks a bit of aggression to be effective in the defensive half of the pitch. At best he is an annoyance. If he can get good at those niggling little fouls that would help. Attack wise I love him, best finisher in the midfield by some distance, excellent long shooting, dangerous set pieces what's not to like. Thus team only has 4 guaranteed starters (Heaton, Mings, McGinn, and Grealish), everything else is up for grabs.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Agree with this. He is a bit to slow, a bit to weak, and lacks a bit of aggression to be effective in the defensive half of the pitch. At best he is an annoyance. If he can get good at those niggling little fouls that would help. Attack wise I love him, best finisher in the midfield by some distance, excellent long shooting, dangerous set pieces what's not to like. Thus team only has 4 guaranteed starters (Heaton, Mings, McGinn, and Grealish), everything else is up for grabs.

Think people are gonna have an opinion on this one! For me Marvelous, Guilbert and Targett can also fall under this category

• Like 1

The LCM position is now Hourihanes to lose as far as I am concerned.

He seems to have a good connection with Targett and his overlapping as Grealish tucks in is a constant threat which culminated in both McGinn's disallowed goal against Burnley and Wesley's second against Norwich. 2 in 2.

We know Smith likes to attack the space between full back and centre half and Hourihane helps facilitate that perfectly.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Conor on the bench tonight for ROI, they’re 1-0 down already. 

Yes that is a joke, but it was a case of McCarthy going with the expierce or Whelan and Hendricks.  Browne though?

Conor should definitely have started.

I really don't know what to make of Conor, i said to the lad next me today (between his goal and then it being ruled out), that I'm not a huge fan, but then he just keeps scoring to prove me wrong. 

Extremely unlucky to have his goal taken away, was taken expertly as well.

Wasn't a fan of him at all last year in the DCM role, wasn't suited for it at all but think he's been class since coming in as a CM for us. Continued his knack of scoring goals and can honestly see him hitting 10+ goals and assists if he carries on starting for us.

Personally I think he is a better premier league player than championship.

His technical ability has more chance to shine. He doesn't need time on the ball, which he has less of in the prem. But he is too weak physically and was bullied or roughed up too easily in championship.

He was dangerous today, should have had two goals. First var was ridiculous and second he slotted one right in corner but defender got beautiful block to deflect it at GK.

Just so dangerous both from set pieces but also a real goal threat

• Like 3

Does so little...aside from score. Never seen anything like it.

Today, a great goal unfairly (?) ruled out, and a sitter he missed. So zero goals, negligible contribution. Very poor game overall.

He looked very slow today, the game was fizzing around him and he looked lost I thought.

• Like 1

I just don't know about him. Brighton tore through us and he was one of the reasons, it was often a passive performance and he wasn't getting on the ball anywhere near enough. However he took his 'goal' brilliantly, was a threat from set pieces and makes dangerous runs into the box (really should have scored when Targett put it on a plate for him). 

He gives us a real goal threat in play and from set pieces but there's limitations and ultimately I see Luiz getting into that position as a starter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Man City will have 70-80 % possession.

Hourihane will be a bit of a passenger in that scenario.

Harsh but should be dropped.

Surely if we wont have much of the ball it's better to have someone who can nick a goal/assist from a set piece?

Â