Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

The only things he doesn't have are great pace and maybe the quickness of thought for one touch passing.  That said, he creates a lot of chances just by making the right decisions in movement and playing percentages.

Certainly not the most gifted of players, but you can tell he's worked **** hard on his game in training over the years, and that's really commendable.

I think he's gone up a level this year, I really think he's embracing being a PL player.

Keep it up Conor! 

• Like 3

Luiz or Hourihane, it's a really tricky one. Luiz potential is frightening but Hourihane brings so much to us. Assists, goals, set pieces.

But i just think we have to stick by Hourihane for now. He knows the system better and will keep bringing us goals and assists

• Like 1

Surprised by the posts regarding him not being good enough and that he should be a sub. I'm not really sure what he has to do to prove the doubters wrong.

Whilst he isn't a midfielder on McGinn's level with the ball at his feet, his productivity pays for itself ten times over. Combine that with a lot of off the ball running that often goes unnoticed, harassing players in the midfield and applying pressure along with useful runs into the box as seen for the second goal and penalty win on Saturday.+

There's no doubt about it we are a much more dangerous team with Hourihane in the first eleven and it's now upto Douglas Luiz to prove he can perform consistently to displace him. I think it's likely Luiz will be better off playing in the midfield two rather than the deep role that Nakamba is now dominating.

Just looking at Hourihane's records shows how productive he really is, and it's productivity we miss (from range and set pieces especially) when he is out of the side.

2019/20 - 7 games - 4 goals - 1 assist

2018/19 - 50 games - 9 goals - 11 assists

2017/18 - 49 games - 11 goals - 2 assists

2016/17 - 47 games - 7 goals - 15 assists (Aston Villa and Barnsley)

2015/16 - 47 games - 10 goals - 14 assists (Barnsley)

2014/15 - 51 games - 14 goals - 14 assists (Barnsley)

Hourihane is now Aston Villa's 99th top goalscorer, level with Darren Bent and Allan McInally.

• Like 2

He has a place in our squad but, for me, doesn't add enough in a three man CM when we are under the cosh, as we will be in a number of games this season.

Nakamba looks nailed on to start now in the DCM.  He has been excellent and is, as many say, is Kante light, athough I think he might grow to lose the "light".  McGinn ditto.

Personally, against better sides, I would prefer Henry or Dougie L as I think they both add more out of possession and also both carry a goal threat.  Chasing a game as a 2nd half sub, or when dominating possession, CH is definitely an option.

Equally, I believe Targett's inclusion makes it easier to play CH as well. 

Further, if we were to look at a 4-4(diamond)-2 or a 4-2-3-1 I can see a role for CH at "10" where his goal threat and ability to play around the opposition box, could come into play.  Although, I think Smith is very committed to his 4-3-3.

Interesting to see that many though SJM didn't have his best game on Saturday - maybe because he had to do more defensive work with CH in the side.  He certainly would have to drop a bit if we went 4-2-3-1 with CH in the side as "10".

We look so much better at set pieces with CH in the team.  My feeling is the 'going missing' games were far more when he was playing as a DM which isn't his best position.  With Marvelous in there I think we'll continue to see the best of Conor.  If Douglas can push him out then we really will be in a good place.  Maybe they'll rotate on a horses-for-courses basis, but I can see Conor hitting double figures for assists and chipping in with 5/6 goals.

23 hours ago, AVTuco said:

My action proposal was to play him for the whole of second half in most games. That's hardly overlooking, is it?

I was talking in a general fashion, not specifically about your comments.

I have a mixed view on him, but when he's on, he is a weapon.....struggles a bit when the team struggles.....but some players are like that.

He reminds me in some ways of Andy Blair ( one for the old uns)

but that left peg is worth the entrance money alone.

Edited by TRO

There was an image in the B/mail of him striking the ball for his goal.

His body shape was like Watching a world class golfer go through his swing.........fabulous technique.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

He has a place in our squad but, for me, doesn't add enough in a three man CM when we are under the cosh, as we will be in a number of games this season.

Nakamba looks nailed on to start now in the DCM.  He has been excellent and is, as many say, is Kante light, athough I think he might grow to lose the "light".  McGinn ditto.

Personally, against better sides, I would prefer Henry or Dougie L as I think they both add more out of possession and also both carry a goal threat.  Chasing a game as a 2nd half sub, or when dominating possession, CH is definitely an option.

Equally, I believe Targett's inclusion makes it easier to play CH as well. 

Further, if we were to look at a 4-4(diamond)-2 or a 4-2-3-1 I can see a role for CH at "10" where his goal threat and ability to play around the opposition box, could come into play.  Although, I think Smith is very committed to his 4-3-3.

Interesting to see that many though SJM didn't have his best game on Saturday - maybe because he had to do more defensive work with CH in the side.  He certainly would have to drop a bit if we went 4-2-3-1 with CH in the side as "10".

something, I noticed too.

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

When all is said and done, he's a real threat in the final third. Don't think he's quite good enough to be in a midfield 3 but with our new free-form midfield, he's thriving. If he's got the ball 20 yards from goal, you expect something decent from him every time - lovely technique. 

Think helps him too with Nakamba behimd than Whelan who didnt have the legs anymore

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I'm not really sure what he has to do to prove the doubters wrong.

Contribute when we're not playing well, it's that simple. He hides away every single time it gets hard. He's very consistent in everything he does, positive and negative.

He's brilliant at grabbing goals on the front foot, undoubtedly. He should have been brought on in the West Ham game, it was absolutely made for him.

I'd start him v Brighton definitely, we're looking good. He, Jack and Targett combining and switching around really well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

We look far more likely to score with him in the team, sure he has his shortcomings but you need goals to get points

It's the phenomenon known as the Targett effect.

Though I've seen some scholars refer to it as Taylor et abierunt.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Contribute when we're not playing well, it's that simple. He hides away every single time it gets hard. He's very consistent in everything he does, positive and negative.

He's brilliant at grabbing goals on the front foot, undoubtedly. He should have been brought on in the West Ham game, it was absolutely made for him.

I'd start him v Brighton definitely, we're looking good. He, Jack and Targett combining and switching around really well.

For a player like him it is hard to contribute when we are not playing well. He will contribute with set pieces but he isn't going to create for himself or get himself in to a position to play a player in on goal. He needs help and that will be down to Grealish, mcginn and El Ghazi. If we are playing poorly it won't be conors fault. He works hard defensively and puts a shift in. He isn't some kind of magical player who will be able to win us a game by himself but he will get you goals, assists and win you penalties. That is all you can recall ask for from your 4th best midfielder on the pitch.

The main question is whether the goals the assists and the set piece delivery is more important than Luiz's overall play and I would say yes. Luiz is a fusion of Grealish and mcginn but is currently not as good as either of them. When he is in the team he doesn't offer anything either of them can't do, except for top quality long range shots which hourihane will score more of anyway. I think hourihane will be more important until Jack and mcginn can add what each other is lacking goals for Grealish and assists for mcginn. Obviously Luiz has to be able to do both but less than conor to usurp him if that is the case. It can only really be a good thing to have 3 prem quality players competing for 1 spot. Either way let the games begin! 

We have to keep this man on the pitch.

Everytime we get a free kick and hes on the bench it feels like a wasted opportunity, and that's without his goals and assists from open play.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz or Hourihane, it's a really tricky one. Luiz potential is frightening but Hourihane brings so much to us. Assists, goals, set pieces.

But i just think we have to stick by Hourihane for now. He knows the system better and will keep bringing us goals and assists

The only thing I'd say here is we don't have a fair comparison, because we've seen Nakamba + Hourihane start, but we haven't seen Nakamba + Luiz start.

I suspect Nakamba is the significant factor in what happened on Saturday. But when you have a goal, an assist, and winning a penalty to your name, it's hard to say you should be dropped.

I'd stick with Hourihane, but very much on the basis that he needs to win his place every week. The competition for places is brilliant to see.

• Like 1

Â