Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Due to his goalscoring he's someone I'd definitely look to sell in the summer as we might be able to get £6/7m from some mugs.

I'd be absolutely amazed if we got anywhere near that. 

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What annoys me about Connor is we go 2-0 up and he running into space all over the shop screamimg for the ball and knocking it about. It goes to 2-1..you don't hear a peep from him lol

Being less cavalier as only one goal in it ? They were all guilty of that because the team had changed. 

From attacking at will down the right to Hutton having to do it on his own as Elmo just stood there each time we tried to burst forwards 

Puts pressure on us when we were in control of the game.

Don't want to hang Elmo out to dry but he did just that to Hutton 4 times in the short time he was on the pitch. Hutton beats player moves into space down the right Elmo stands still offering nothing and Hutton then forced into checking back , keep the momentum going but trying to cross from poor angle or losing the ball.

Basic stuff for right sided midfielder to move around and give players options or draw a player away from the ball.

He had a 25 minute shocker

Connor provided dead balls including direct free kicks and decent balls and kept the ball moving.

Seems he's a scape goat because he isn't a destroyer in the tackle ?

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 2

Conor isn't the problem. It's the lack of balance in the midfield. They don't function as a unit. If there was a tackler beside him, mcginn would go further forward and Conor would be the passer. Who do people want to replace him with, and lose his goals and assists?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Conor isn't the problem. It's the lack of balance in the midfield. They don't function as a unit. If there was a tackler beside him, mcginn would go further forward and Conor would be the passer. Who do people want to replace him with, and lose his goals and assists?

it is a good point....and I agree.

but it will only be a matter of time if we progress to get a more complete player.

The problem is we have too many who have one thing, but not the other.....unfortunately that renders them not quite good enough.

Conor is not a DM....He is not rounded enough as a player to be one...too many things missing in his game....but a great dead ball kicker.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

100% agree.

But we are currently a mid table Championship side/challenging for playoffs at best. Complete players play for the likes of Manchester City, sadly not Aston Villa.

Hourihane is the level we are currently at and a good squad player at that. I don’t see ya replacing his goals and assists (which going by previous campaigns should be higher) for the price we could get for him. I like him.

8 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Hourihane is the level we are currently at and a good squad player at that. I don’t see ya replacing his goals and assists (which going by previous campaigns should be higher) for the price we could get for him. I like him.

Just picking a couple of names from up and down the league... Dan Johnson, Oliver Norwood, Markus Henriksen, Matt Grimes.

Our team would improve with all them ahead of Hourihane. I'm interested in Aston Villa winning, not Conor Hourihane chalking up numbers.

He's gone down in my estimation even more during this last run of easier games. I thought he would step up and show some interest in leading the side a bit. Nope, hiding away as soon as it gets tough.

Hopefully he can be part of a better unit when Jack gets fit again.

He's a stats machine and his contributions have of course been very important. But the eye-ball test always reveals a player with a lot of limitations, he's not often in space enough to receive the ball, doesn't have much of a forward pass in him either and he's frankly a passive presence at the best of times.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's a stats machine and his contributions have of course been very important. But the eye-ball test always reveals a player with a lot of limitations, he's not often in space enough to receive the ball, doesn't have much of a forward pass in him either and he's frankly a passive presence at the best of times.

I agree. For me it comes down to pace—he just doesn't have enough of it to make space or catch up with runners. He's good at free kicks, but the rest of the time, I agree, he's passive.

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

I agree. For me it comes down to pace—he just doesn't have enough of it to make space or catch up with runners. He's good at free kicks, but the rest of the time, I agree, he's passive.

Hourihane is very good distributor, not a great tackler and has no pace, so he isn't a DM. He needs a pacy strong DM next to him and he will be fine

Edited by pintpotvilla

Hourihane's role is deep lying playmaker not dm. He's doing the ryan wood role....badly.

All he has to do is collect the ball from the centre halves and move it forward quickly. easy job.... except he flaps it and gives it them back....on their wrong foot...then gives it the "not to me not to me" pointing for them to hoof it long.

I used to play like this when I had a hangover.

It's an easy position to play as

a) you don't have too much running to do

b) you have bodies behind you if you balls it up

c) everybody in the crowd loves a long diagonal pass. even if it's hit too high. you'll get the trainspotter fans with their tartan blankets and flask saying nice idea conner!

players that excel at this role in the champ are:

ryan wood

barry bannon

as centre midfielders I think these guys are pretty pants. but in this job they can easily blag an 8 out of 10 rating from some local pisshead journo for doing jack all really. its scandalous!

9 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Hourihane's role is deep lying playmaker not dm. He's doing the ryan wood role....badly.

All he has to do is collect the ball from the centre halves and move it forward quickly. easy job.... except he flaps it and gives it them back....on their wrong foot...then gives it the "not to me not to me" pointing for them to hoof it long.

I used to play like this when I had a hangover.

It's an easy position to play as

a) you don't have too much running to do

b) you have bodies behind you if you balls it up

c) everybody in the crowd loves a long diagonal pass. even if it's hit too high. you'll get the trainspotter fans with their tartan blankets and flask saying nice idea conner!

players that excel at this role in the champ are:

ryan wood

barry bannon

as centre midfielders I think these guys are pretty pants. but in this job they can easily blag an 8 out of 10 rating from some local pisshead journo for doing jack all really. its scandalous!

Ryan Woods 23 apps 0 goals 0 assists. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/01/2019 at 19:16, DCJonah said:

I just don't get the criticism at times. 

He has 4 goals and 8 assists. He attempts more passes than the vast majority of our team and he keeps the ball more than the vast majority of our team. If he could do that and control the game and make great tackles does anyone believe he would be here or that we could have signed him for so little?

I do agree with you.

But I do understand the frustration at times. He's one of those players where if he doesn't get a goal or assist you're sometimes left wondering "What did he do?"

But you're right, if he got the goals and assists he got and put himself about and tackled like John McGinn and was as good at passing as Jack grealish the guy wouldn't be playing for Aston Villa in the Championship.

He's frustrating sometimes, but he's worth having in the team because of his delivery and goal threat. With McGinn and a fit Grealish in the midfield with him I think we're much more able to afford the luxury.

• Like 1

Â