Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well he is a midfielder and it's not beyond reason that as a midfielder you might sometimes find yourself in the defensive third of midfield.

Mezut Ozil says hi

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Sigh. They are meaningless because they don't really represent anything. They are over inflated because he takes the free kicks and corners. So if you look at Grealish's or McGinn's stats you might see that Hourihane actually has more goals/assists/whatever but when you use your eye's and actually watch football you can see that he's nowhere near the level those two are at. If Grealish was taking our frees and corner it wouldn't make him a better player than he is now. 

Example, Let's say Hutton takes the penalties instead of Tammy, now instead of scoring one goal a season he scores 7 or 8. Is he suddenly a better player? The answer is no but he'll have brilliant stats for a defender and commentators will spout nonsense about him scoring one goal in every 8 or 9 games like it means something, when it doesn't.   

TL;DR Hourihane is good a taking set pieces and not much else. (*He's also shockingly one footed which really bothers me in general in football). 

Well they represent goals and assists which are quite important so no way meaningless. If Grealish could score direct from free kicks then yes it would make him a better player, being good from a dead ball is a great trait to have as a player, not any one can just do it. I think hourihane is a decent player, not on the same level as Grealish and mcginn but he still offers a lot to this side. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

He could do something right, take set pieces. Not just right he was exceptional at it. The Irish Hutton when it came to defending though, without the pace 😱

Harte had a cracking left foot and needed to be in the team but it actually meant you needed to play a defensive winger to cover him like Ireland did with Kilbane and not starting Damien Duff there 

On Hourihane I believe his assists and goals are important and probably need to find a way to get him into the team though without damaging the team overall

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well he is a midfielder and it's not beyond reason that as a midfielder you might sometimes find yourself in the defensive third of midfield.

So it's kinda pointless whether he's a DM, AM or whatever, if you can't take a ball under pressure and do something that doesn't result in panicking and losing the ball then you're deficient as a midfielder.

Like many of our others.  Yet in my opinion he offers an end product of goals and assists that many of our other midfielders don't.

18 hours ago, villa89 said:

Sigh. They are meaningless because they don't really represent anything. They are over inflated because he takes the free kicks and corners. So if you look at Grealish's or McGinn's stats you might see that Hourihane actually has more goals/assists/whatever but when you use your eye's and actually watch football you can see that he's nowhere near the level those two are at. If Grealish was taking our frees and corner it wouldn't make him a better player than he is now. 

Example, Let's say Hutton takes the penalties instead of Tammy, now instead of scoring one goal a season he scores 7 or 8. Is he suddenly a better player? The answer is no but he'll have brilliant stats for a defender and commentators will spout nonsense about him scoring one goal in every 8 or 9 games like it means something, when it doesn't.   

TL;DR Hourihane is good a taking set pieces and not much else. (*He's also shockingly one footed which really bothers me in general in football). 

On the bold, penalties are not comparable to corners and free kicks. Do you think if Hutton started taking all the corners and free kicks he'd have a load of "meaningless" goals and assists? Of course not, because he's not very good at those things. Conor is.

He's not at the level of Grealish or McGinn, as far as I can tell no one is claiming he is are they? But he's an important player because he is the only player other than Tammy capable of regularly producing end product. You can have all the skill, all the talent in the world, but if you don't have any end product it's completely worthless. 

Truly awful midfielder who weakens us in all areas. He seems to survive by virtue of the occasional goal but we pay a huge price for those goals. He and Bjarnasson are the crippling core of the current Villa side and both must be replaced if we have aspirations to get promoted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Truly awful midfielder who weakens us in all areas. He seems to survive by virtue of the occasional goal but we pay a huge price for those goals. He and Bjarnasson are the crippling core of the current Villa side and both must be replaced if we have aspirations to get promoted.

We literally made the playoff finals last year. This post is embarrassing. 

Next you are going to argue Tammy is hurting us because he doesn't hold the ball up as well as Kodjia and we need to cancel his loan. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Spot on. 

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

We literally made the playoff finals last year. This post is embarrassing. 

Next you are going to argue Tammy is hurting us because he doesn't hold the ball up as well as Kodjia and we need to cancel his loan. 

Is that it ?

You've changed my mind with that in depth and well considered challenge ...... well done you ! 

I think he is lacking in a lot of areas, but he scores goals and gets assists, in a more balanced team with an effective defensive midfielder he wouldn't be criticised as much.

but in the current set up he gets shown up as wanting and doesn't contribute enough to play, hopefully we can get the balance of the team right and Connor can become less of a passenger.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Is that it ?

You've changed my mind with that in depth and well considered challenge ...... well done you ! 

He does his job, and yet people still complain. This is why the atmosphere amongst the fans is so shit. Even when a player is doing their job, and getting us goals, you will still find something to moan about. It was the same thing about Grealish in the beginning of the season, and then suddenly when Grealish got hurt, everyone was shocked that we were much worse without him. Same thing happened when Hourihane was dropped. Hourihane saved us numerous times this season already. I honestly cannot understand why anyone would think he is the problem and not the glaring issues with this team. 

• Like 2

He only looks good when Grealish is playing next to him. He’s a very limited player and although he scores a few, I argue we’d score more as a team and concede far fewer with a better player.

That said, we need to address the defence before we look to replace him. He’s not THAT bad.

23 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Behave, Westwood much better than this joker.

Nah mate, you behave.  Hourihane is a much better player than Westwood.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder it seems.

55 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Behave, Westwood much better than this joker.

Absolute nonsense. 

Westwood contributed nothing. He didn't defend, he didn't attack, he didn't start attacks, sod all assists or goals. An absolute non-entity passenger of player.

Hourihane is not amazing by any stretch of the imagination and he's just as cowardly as Westwood defensively but he actually contributes with goals and assists, takes a good set piece and passes the ball into attacking areas. 

11 hours ago, Czechlad said:

He does his job, and yet people still complain. This is why the atmosphere amongst the fans is so shit. Even when a player is doing their job, and getting us goals, you will still find something to moan about. It was the same thing about Grealish in the beginning of the season, and then suddenly when Grealish got hurt, everyone was shocked that we were much worse without him. Same thing happened when Hourihane was dropped. Hourihane saved us numerous times this season already. I honestly cannot understand why anyone would think he is the problem and not the glaring issues with this team. 

So what is "his job" as you seem to have that knowledge ?

I have watched Hourihane enough times to know that whatever "his job" is, he has no creativity, he rarely ever runs with the ball, he rarely passes the ball forward - choosing instead to constantly bounce it back to defenders who have just passed to him, he is slow, frequently does not back track and gets the wrong side of attacking midfielders and he rarely gets forward considering he came here as an attacking midfielder.

Yes, in a very bad bunch, he takes occasional decent free kicks but if the trade off is to be so poor in general play then so what ? 

I don't rate the guy and I hope, trust and believe Smith WILL ditch him very soon !  

Edited by Paul33

Â