Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

absolutely shocking video.

Feel sorry for John McGinn having to run that midfield with the 2 other bottle jobs.

If he wanted a breather he should of put the foul in early on into the passage of play, then delayed the taking of the free kick by standing on the ball or something or feigning injury

lazy clearing in the woods.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Set piece delivery and a goal threat from midfield 

This. 9 assists puts him joint 3rd in the league. He contributes to the attack, no question. Definitely could do more when we're under the cosh though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

This. 9 assists puts him joint 3rd in the league. He contributes to the attack, no question. Definitely could do more when we're under the cosh though. 

So he contributed 9 assists, but also probably helped with costing us double that many conceded goals due to being a lazy craven.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Pretty much all 5 Forest goals were from him doing this. It does not surprise me.

It was a shocking exhibition of standing off..

He thinks his dead ball kicks and the odd goal will see him through....its simply not enough, he is a typical luxury player.

A luxury, I don't think we can afford.

We keep on bringing these lightweights in....it will keep us in this league, if we keep doing it.

• Westwood
  • Hourihane
  • Lansbury
  • Taylor
  • Kodjia
  • Adomah

We now bring in Carroll....yet to see him play, But bracing myself, for what I think i will see.

I dislike him more than Whelan, Taylor et al. because he is such a little pussy.

I can’t wait until we have someone half decent we can replace him with.

That video of him for the Sheff Utd goal is a disgrace. 

And there are some that blame Smith...

Our squad of players is a joke.

54 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Stick him up as an attacking midfielder while we wait for Grealish to return, that way he'll still be able to contribute goals and assists but he'd be less of a liability in defence.

I think that’s where he is playing.

Looks like more or less everyones on the same page re. Hourihane now.

Good with a dead ball. But very weak, and way below the standard for a championship midfielder. Yes a load of assists, but we've got a lot to aim at and he takes everything.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out. 

It always struck me how little he features for Ireland given how poor their squad is, a bit like Weimann never playing for Austria when he used to start every week in the PL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

He hinders the attack tbh.  There was a moment against Sheff Utd where El Ghazi had the ball wide left and was looking to cross it into the box.  Abraham and Kodjia were in there - potentially one other - but rather than helping out the attack and getting involved, Hourihane just stood 35 yards from goal, waving his hands in the air for the ball (presumably to pop it wide from distance... again).  Just awful awareness. Even Jedinak made a **** run down the wing to cross at one point.  Jedinak!  Hourihane slows us down and doesn't contribute positively in open play.  There is a huge gulf in the middle of the park without Grealish.

He has a good set piece delivery and, thus, a few assists and goals.  I'd much, much, much rather sack him off completely and have one tenth of the assists/goals from set pieces that he provides.  We'd be better for it.

1 hour ago, Khizzy said:

Stick him up as an attacking midfielder while we wait for Grealish to return, that way he'll still be able to contribute goals and assists but he'd be less of a liability in defence.

He was an attacking midfielder at Barnsley, that's his position and where he should be played. He is an attacking midfielder/playmaker in the final third. His ability to strike on goal and put a great ball in the mixer is what he is about.

He needs runners around him as he did at Barnsley, he needs two McGinn type players with him. He is a goal threat and a creator of chances, probably our biggest threat from the middle of the park in an attacking sense. 

Problem we have currently is that Whelan can only play 45 mins, Jedinaks legs have gone, Lansbury is a raspberry ripple, Carrol is injured. We don't actually have a 3 man midfield to put together. 

Add in to the fact Adomah has gone to shit, Kodjia has gone to shit, El Ghazi has gone to shit then when we don't have the ball we are basically relying on Mings, Elphick and McGinn to defend as Hutton and Taylor have all the positional sense of a cluster of blind hedgehogs in a bag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

He hinders the attack tbh.  There was a moment against Sheff Utd where El Ghazi had the ball wide left and was looking to cross it into the box.  Abraham and Kodjia were in there - potentially one other - but rather than helping out the attack and getting involved, Hourihane just stood 35 yards from goal, waving his hands in the air for the ball (presumably to pop it wide from distance... again).  Just awful awareness. Even Jedinak made a **** run down the wing to cross at one point.  Jedinak!  Hourihane slows us down and doesn't contribute positively in open play.  There is a huge gulf in the middle of the park without Grealish.

He has a good set piece delivery and, thus, a few assists and goals.  I'd much, much, much rather sack him off completely and have one tenth of the assists/goals from set pieces that he provides.  We'd be better for it.

He needs the right people around him. He's not a box to box mid or one who is defensively inclined and yes that does bother me too. Fact is, he's contributed a total of 14 goals and assists this season - not just a few.

28 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He needs the right people around him. He's not a box to box mid or one who is defensively inclined and yes that does bother me too. Fact is, he's contributed a total of 14 goals and assists this season - not just a few.

Doesn't mean he can be lazy, modern football now is moving towards even forwards or attacking players doing more than just doing one good pass and then going missing for 89 minutes.

More and more now a modern football team can't carry passengers.

All the best teams have their forwards and attacking players working hard, not just the defensive ones.

Honestly, the age of the players who were "too good to work for the team" is pretty much dead and buried.

To be considered a good team the days your forward players all work hard, look at Liverpool or man city, or any of the teams that do well (Norwich, Leeds, sheff utd in the champ),  they don't really have passengers cus their "special players are too posh to push".

Edited by MaVilla

26 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm interested in Aston Villa winning, not Conor Hourihane scoring goals and getting assists.

Passenger atm. He'll improve when Grealish is back.

3 hours ago, KHV said:

He was an attacking midfielder at Barnsley, that's his position and where he should be played. He is an attacking midfielder/playmaker in the final third. His ability to strike on goal and put a great ball in the mixer is what he is about.

He needs runners around him as he did at Barnsley, he needs two McGinn type players with him. He is a goal threat and a creator of chances, probably our biggest threat from the middle of the park in an attacking sense. 

Problem we have currently is that Whelan can only play 45 mins, Jedinaks legs have gone, Lansbury is a raspberry ripple, Carrol is injured. We don't actually have a 3 man midfield to put together. 

Add in to the fact Adomah has gone to shit, Kodjia has gone to shit, El Ghazi has gone to shit then when we don't have the ball we are basically relying on Mings, Elphick and McGinn to defend as Hutton and Taylor have all the positional sense of a cluster of blind hedgehogs in a bag.

so is it right to say, Hause and Carroll are injured?......and form seems to evaporate from some players quicker than Diarrhea

Edited by TRO

Â