Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Like I said in the match thread, he isn't worth starting just for the chance of a decent set piece. Complete passenger 90% of the time. 

He's had enough chances now and it's the same outcome every single time. Too inconsistent so keep him on the bench. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Problem is he gets his place back against teams where we have a good amount of possession and some time on the ball. When we are the team who is sitting back he offers nothing, the game just completely bypasses him.

I agree with this. For me the problem is that Luiz is also much better in those games.

Showed exactly why he doesn't start these games. Can't feel hard done by after this. I don't want to hear anybody talking about "when he plays we win". Yeah he's good at home against Brighton but absolutely useless away at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge. Luiz completely showed him up.

• Like 1

Fantastic left peg.....but when that isn't working he is shocking.

the game just went by him.....he's passive and lacks any natural aggression or desire.

on the ball he is ok.....off the ball he us woeful.

Edited by TRO

Shouldn't lose his place as we're still more likely to win games or at least get results with him in the side, that's not 'talk' it's evidenced by our form when he plays. Keep swapping and changing players after one below par performance isn't going to get us anywhere, although it seems that Hourihane is held to different standards to everyone else, if he has one game where he hasn't scored, got an assist or we lose (even when it's away to one of the best teams in the league) there are calls for him to be dropped, for someone who's been so vital for us over the last few seasons, including this one, he's probably our most unfairly maligned player in recent times.

Simple fact is we can't afford to leave him out, for as as good as our other players might be, they're not good enough to compensate for Hourihane's goals and assists that we miss without him in the side, even if their overall game is better than his.

While everyone claims Conor only thrives in matches where we’re on top, one thing I will say is they’re neglecting that Conor might be the reason we are on top.

Take Newcastle as an example. Conor had a massive impact there. We mightn’t have won that game without him.

Agreed that Luiz was miles better than him yesterday, obviously.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

While everyone claims Conor only thrives in matches where we’re on top, one thing I will say is they’re neglecting that Conor might be the reason we are on top.

Take Newcastle as an example. Conor had a massive impact there. We mightn’t have won that game without him.

Agreed that Luiz was miles better than him yesterday, obviously.

He can change a game with that peg, no doubt, but its the trade off, where it gets complicated....its sometimes lost, because we can't hold a lead.

I don't want to be cruel....but we are typical of a team right now who can give it,but can't take it......He then drifts in to a zone that says Luxury and you have to have players who can defend him and we haven't.

For me one thing is clear.....Conor hasn't got enough in his locker to play at this level in our squad in every game, Dean has to pick his games.....He hasn't got the pitch craft to keep the ball and stay in possession or relieve the opposition of the ball in a 50/50 challenge.....He hasn't got the nous to be touch tight on a player or take a player out.....his "off the ball" prowess is suspect, in games like last night, he drifts around and the game passes him by........its sad, because I really like him.

Those dead balls, he delivers is enough to seduce any fan to play him, but its a different level and these opposition players don't give you a minutes peace or space......He simply can't look after himself.

Conor has a wand of a left foot, no one at the club comes close.....but its simply not enough, when we haven't got the dogs of war in the squad to protect him....In midfield we are physically light IMO and he is probably the lightest.....if you had a real growler, you might get away with him being left in.

Edited by TRO

Too lightweight again, been saying it ever since he came here. Ends up on the deck throwing his arms up for a free kick and the opposition are halfway down the pitch.

If he hasn't got the strength to fend them off at least get straight back up and go after them.

Edited by CosmicVillan

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Conor is a potential match winner. We set up not to lose last night and played a lot deeper, that doesn't suit his 'around the box threat".

The first bit, can't be denied.....but he has to be accommodated and we haven't got the players to do that.

Do you think so?.....playing 4-3-3?

I thought we was losing so much ball, so many 50/50's , so many duels......we just retreated out of instinct....they was just passing around us at times.

I thought too may players were poor, no guile and we lost the initiative.

I didn't think Dean set us up not to lose......but interesting view.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Conor is a potential match winner. We set up not to lose last night and played a lot deeper, that doesn't suit his 'around the box threat".

If you're setting up not to lose then surely Hourihane doesn't start that game? 

By his inclusion, I thought that Deano felt he might be able to inspire us on to something positive. 

• Like 2

On 04/12/2019 at 21:39, djdabush said:

Problem is he gets his place back against teams where we have a good amount of possession and some time on the ball. When we are the team who is sitting back he offers nothing, the game just completely bypasses him.

Spot on

I think Smith is too on/off with Hourihane. If he gets a game and scores -> he starts next game. If he doesn't score, he's on the bench for a few.

Hourihane should play every game, but not the whole game. Jack creates set pieces every game, and we need to have Hourihane on for those. 

Just now, AVTuco said:

I think Smith is too on/off with Hourihane. If he gets a game and scores -> he starts next game. If he doesn't score, he's on the bench for a few.

Hourihane should play every game, but not the whole game. Jack creates set pieces every game, and we need to have Hourihane on for those. 

As shown at Chelsea, he's not what you need in these games. Our midfield was overrun as it was, with Conor in there we would've been slaughtered.

• Like 2

Â