Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Ability wise, I’m not convinced he’s a premier league player (barring his ability at dead balls). However, we’ve been here before with the likes of Westwood: if we sold Conor, another bottom half PL club would easily get a tune out of him.

I for one think he has been mismanaged by DS. Every time Conor has got a chance, he has tried to take it. Heneeds a run in the team and to feel an important part of it. Based upon the immaturity in the team atm, I think Conor must be a starter - even if he hasn’t the potential of the likes of Marvellous or Doug. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I see where you're coming from, but IMO Smith has managed him well.

Hourihane goes missing in the tighter games against teams who crowd the midfield, but he's superb in situations like this. He was poor against Southampton and deserved to be dropped.

To keep delivering off the bench like this suggests Smith has found a way to keep him happy, despite not starting every game, and that's good man management.

I think I was prob a bit strong with the word ‘ mismanaged’. Perhaps ‘under appreciated’ would have been a better choice.

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I think I was prob a bit strong with the word ‘ mismanaged’. Perhaps ‘under appreciated’ would have been a better choice.

I'm sure Conor feels that way, too, but it seems like he's the kind of player who reacts well to being doubted. He's a fighter who likes to prove people wrong. I wonder if Dean Smith deliberately plays on this at times.

On 22/12/2019 at 11:12, AVTuco said:

Rather play him than both Nakamba and Luiz. Or Trez.

Him and Jack need to play close to each other for us to create anything.

I must say I'm never this right, so please forgive me for quoting myself.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Ability wise, I’m not convinced he’s a premier league player (barring his ability at dead balls). However, we’ve been here before with the likes of Westwood: if we sold Conor, another bottom half PL club would easily get a tune out of him.

I for one think he has been mismanaged by DS. Every time Conor has got a chance, he has tried to take it. Heneeds a run in the team and to feel an important part of it. Based upon the immaturity in the team atm, I think Conor must be a starter - even if he hasn’t the potential of the likes of Marvellous or Doug. 

he hasn't been mismanaged at all.

He's the only midfielder other than McGinn who has a natural understanding with Jack.  He worked very well with Jack in the build up to the goal.  His tendancy to go missing lets him down.  But he has the ability to score from freekicks and open play.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't start with Jack in CM against Watford.

Our other midfielders are no better at stopping other teams bypassing us in the middle of the park than Hourihane,  we gain no advantage by leaving him out, he's our biggest goal threat so should be starting every game, we just can't afford to leave him out. And all this talk of Smith managing him perfectly just isn't true, today is one example of him coming on and winning us the game (to his credit) but every other time our wins have come when he's started, which he should be doing every game at the moment.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Our other midfielders are no better at stopping other teams bypassing us in the middle of the park than Hourihane,  

You mean none of them are better than our 15th best tackler and 15th best interceptor? 

Come on dude FFS🤣😁

Â