Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

As shown at Chelsea, he's not what you need in these games. Our midfield was overrun as it was, with Conor in there we would've been slaughtered.

I mean, I doubt he would've done much worse than Douglas this game tbh. Aside from 20 minutes at Chelsea, I've yet to see much more convincing evidence that Douglas is that much a better option than Conor for any game. They both are liable to become passengers when the going gets tough.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, Keyblade said:

As shown at Chelsea, he's not what you need in these games. Our midfield was overrun as it was, with Conor in there we would've been slaughtered.

Without him, we lose. But what I'm really saying is, it doesn't have to be black and white, bring him on for second half in certain games. And don't start him just because he scored in the previous one. However, play him.

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Without him, we lose. But what I'm really saying is, it doesn't have to be black and white, bring him on for second half in certain games. And don't start him just because he scored in the previous one. However, play him.

How do you figure? He's not Jack Grealish. We're more than capable of winning without him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

How do you figure? He's not Jack Grealish. We're more than capable of winning without him.

Just from my head. I may be wrong, but my feeling is he's been playing in most of our "good" matches.

Hourihane struggles in games where we really have to press and keep up with quick touch midfielders so I really don't see him starting today making a huge difference. He'd have been chasing shadows with the rest.

You can however see the logic in him starting v Newcastle when they had a very slow central two and we had all the space and time to knock the ball around. He'd certainly start for me v Norwich and Southampton and probably Watford and Sheffield united aswell.

One thing I would say is our corner kicks are abysmal without him. We have 3-4 in first 10 minutes today and they either couldn't beat the first man or were  massively overhit.

• Like 1

Of our seven wins this season he's started six, scored five and got two assists. Should be in the starting eleven every week, no matter the opposition, people talk about him not doing much besides his goals and assists, but it's not as if our other midfielders have brilliant all round games either.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd like to see the good old Conor, Jack and McGinn midfield back starting together.

I think they work well together.

Conor lacks fight. He's useless when we're on the ropes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Conor lacks fight. He's useless when we're on the ropes. 

So is Douglas, and judging by today's performance, most likely Lansbury as well. Its not like we have a lot of options there, especially if you're gonna drop Mcginn like some posters have been suggesting Smith do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'd like to see the good old Conor, Jack and McGinn midfield back starting together.

I think they work well together.

I rarely agree with you and have been a big critic of CH, but today he could have made a difference, given that our passing was *****.

DS needs to change something in the middle but his options are limited.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I'm glad he missed today because if he'd have started he'd have been blown away and his chance of starting the next game would have been reduced.

Hourihane to score and villa win is bet of the match next up.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm glad he missed today because if he'd have started he'd have been blown away and his chance of starting the next game would have been reduced.

Hourihane to score and villa win is bet of the match next up.

Alternatively, he may have delivered on one of the many dead ball opportunities that Grealish wins and we'd have been in a better position - maybe even gaining a point.

He is probably our biggest goal threat. As much as a criticized him after the Chelsea game he needs to start in every game.

He is a part of the core from last season and in hindsight i think it's been a mistake not having him as a starter.

If we were to get relegated it's a lesson to learn next time we get promoted.

On 09/12/2019 at 02:29, Tomaszk said:

Chelsea was the wrong game for him.

Leicester was the wrong game for him.

Sheff Utd I think is the wrong game for him.

Watford and Southampton... I want him on the pitch.

Obviously I meant Southampton and Norwich.

Will anyone else be stunned if he doesn't start?

And I say that as someone not really a big fan.

Edited by Tomaszk

Â