Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Conor is just 1 player out of 11. We're not even talking about Jack Grealish levels of disparity between his presence and lack of. If you were to try to guess at explaining the numbers, the most likely explanation is that he plays more frequently in the easier games where we have a higher probability of getting results and sits out a lot of the tougher games.

He played himself back into the team in those easier games and then summarily went on to remind us why he was sitting out the tougher games in the first place. He has attributes that can be a real weapon when we're on top or against teams where we always have a chance of getting a result, but he's only a single piece of the puzzle, not the sole reason or even a major reason we get good results.

That's a fair interpretation of the numbers.

I'd like to add some number crunching on my own however. Currently, the average number of points that the teams we have faced with Connor starting is 23.9 points. The average number of points that the teams we have faced without Conor starting is 28 points. So, it seems to be true that the Conor has been starting against relatively easier opposition, although how significant that 4.1 point gap is, I'm not so sure. Consider as well the average amount of points per game that we with Conor starting is 1.38, without Conor is 0.636.

For easier reading,

Avg points of teams we have faced with Conor starting: 23.9

Avg points of teams we have faced without Conor starting: 28

Avg points per game with Conor starting: 1.38

Avg points per game without Conor starting: 0.636

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I think he's better than what alot say (average), think he's priceless if anything and always manages to shut his critics up somewhere along the line.

To me he is a game changer when he's at his best, super sub for sure and his feet are magic.

Remember the pundit saying in Norwich game that, Conor is the type of player keepers hate, keepers get on at there players to shut this guy down because he's so dangerous.  The Pundits are right in every sense, if Conor gets the room he needs you can count on him scoring. 

Wouldn't surprise me if a prem team is already scouting him been as so many villa fans put him down like all he is, is a good free kick taker. He's more than a fee kick taker, hes got positioning down, his passing is good, but one thing that really strikes me with Conor is his never die attitude, he  just goes from strength to strength.

Edited by Dave-R

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

1 in 5 I think his record is, for a midfielder thats pretty impressive. Think only Kodjia has more goals for Villa in the current squad

0.40 goals per 90 too or 225 minutes per goal in the PL. The PL average for his positions are 0.09 so he's absolutely smashing it in that regard and its higher than any other player in Aston villa as well. Of course, he hasn't been playing that many minutes so its too soon to conclude that he can keep this up but early signs are encouraging.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

He's the best corner taker and best freekick taker which is also very important imo.  Set pieces have been terrible on the whole without him.  With Jack working the middle more, there'll be more opportunites for Conner to get scoring opportunities around the D area.  Jack should look to draw fouls in those areas more when Conner is playing.

• Like 1

A few days ago I posted that apart from being great at free kicks he's pretty good at shots too but that he'll only get a few shots in the Premier League... which now seems a bit negative of me because actually 🤔 maybe this left foot wizard doesn't need more than just a few shots! Well played Conor! 👏👏👏Hope to see him in the starting line-up at Vicarage Road on Saturday. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

0.40 goals per 90 too or 225 minutes per goal in the PL. The PL average for his positions are 0.09 so he's absolutely smashing it in that regard and its higher than any other player in Aston villa as well. Of course, he hasn't been playing that many minutes so its too soon to conclude that he can keep this up but early signs are encouraging.

Yes, impressive stats from him. Considering that he's a midfielder and that he's only actually started 8 league games this season, three league goals is a good return!  

Bench at Watford for me, he'll get steamrollered starting that game. Hopefully we'll be in a position to bring him on.

Did the thing be does today, nice finish. We've learnt nothing new though.

• Like 1

People love Grealish and McGinn because they take players on. That isn't Hourihane's role and shouldn't be. It's like expecting our striker to be great at sliding tackles.

I think a lot of the dislike/underappreciation of Conor comes from a basic misunderstanding of his role.

Conor is there for the simple out ball, the link between the defence and midfield, for tidying up, for first time balls. Watch him in a match and his vision is much better than most. He might play a five yard pass but it'll be effective rather than flashy. Today is case in point - everyone praises the finish but what sets it up is the clever touch to Jack before moving in to space. Instead of trying to dribble out of defence and losing it, or simply smashing it forward and losing possession, he'll play a simple ten yard side pass to a player in space and calm it all down. It's not flashy but so effective. He's there to enable everyone else to do their job.

This also leads to the misconception that he goes 'missing' in bigger games. The defence stop trying to play the ball out and smash it over the top of him. Fellow midfielders try to over play it or make low percentage plays in the hope of a quick break. Hourihane is less effective here because other players change their style in these games. He's not going to throw himself in to tackles. So in those games, where we're not trying a passing game then it is pointless playing him. He's not a counter attack type player, he's a builder.

Quite obviously he's not the best midfielder in the Premier League but he's a very solid PL Player that most teams would love in their squad. If he was used consistently we'd see this more often.

I get the feeling he'll end up being at a Premier League team if we get relegated. Another player which was scapegoated by fans who turns out to be very capable at this level ala Westwood, Albrighton etc.

We played our best this season when we had McGinn, Grealish and Hourihane playing together.

• Like 4

Â