Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

21 hours ago, thunderball said:

Yes, didn’t set the world on fire but didn’t look out of place and integrated well. Pretty good from such a long time out i would say. Useful squad player at most I would say, it’s up to his own desire how far he wants to go, should be pushing wheels and Hourihane for the 3rd midfield berth for me but not sure he wants it that much.

What's your evidence for this?

He doesn't have the tactical awareness to play the DLP role. So he's pushing McGinn and Grealish. So he might as well be pushing against a double decker bus. However, had he been fully fit and raring to go when Grealish went down, we might be looking at a very different season. 

The manager clearly rates him and he showed why yesterday. He's the type of player who if we really need something in the dying embers of a game, you chuck him on and see what pops out. We're very lucky to have a few players like that.

• Like 1

He doesn't lack ability at all, but he lacks consistency. This was always the case at Forest and has been a similar story here. On top of that he's one of our top earners, so there's no justification for him to remain here next season regardless of league. If he can play a bit of a part in the playoffs (if called upon) then obviously that would be great but I wouldn't really have too much by way of expectation.

16 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Glad he had a good game. I am surprised to be honest, he doesnt strike me as a player who will fit in well with Dean Smith's style. I do wonder if he can turn in a similar performance in a higher pressure game. But I am wrong a lot, so fairplay to him.

I still think we have players who don't really fit in with Deans style of play.....but its early days, before he can get who he wants.

I would like to think he can bring players in, like Norwich have done....busy,busy bees and for modest sums.

I thought Lansbury was probably our best player yesterday. Aggressive and good passing. Could he regularly play the sitting role in this formation? I doubt we'll ever find out as he's clearly a bit of a crock, but I imagine given the wages he's on he'll be around for a while so at least he can put in a good performance when called upon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What's your evidence for this?

He doesn't have the tactical awareness to play the DLP role. So he's pushing McGinn and Grealish. So he might as well be pushing against a double decker bus. However, had he been fully fit and raring to go when Grealish went down, we might be looking at a very different season. 

The manager clearly rates him and he showed why yesterday. He's the type of player who if we really need something in the dying embers of a game, you chuck him on and see what pops out. We're very lucky to have a few players like that.

My worry is having been here 2.5 years and even acknowledging his injuries bad luck, he hasn’t torn up any trees despite having the talent. I worry that he thinks he has it good on a long and much improved deal. Hourihane arrived at the same time with the equal reputation.

I think he could be a very valuable player, I think he is technically good and should fit DS’s system and philosophy. He has energy and an eye for goal, so he has everything going for him, I want us to keep him. 

Anecdotally, I know some one who knows him and his family well - they both have holiday homes in Portugal, she thinks he is a good egg FWIW, but he is a bit wrapped up in the lifestyle, but then again there’s probably few footballers that aren’t! (she also knows John Terry)

22 hours ago, thunderball said:

My worry is having been here 2.5 years and even acknowledging his injuries bad luck, he hasn’t torn up any trees despite having the talent. I worry that he thinks he has it good on a long and much improved deal. Hourihane arrived at the same time with the equal reputation.

I think he could be a very valuable player, I think he is technically good and should fit DS’s system and philosophy. He has energy and an eye for goal, so he has everything going for him, I want us to keep him. 

Anecdotally, I know some one who knows him and his family well - they both have holiday homes in Portugal, she thinks he is a good egg FWIW, but he is a bit wrapped up in the lifestyle, but then again there’s probably few footballers that aren’t! (she also knows John Terry)

I am not a detective, but I can sense a pattern here?....with your friend🤨

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

A classic Arsenal player in many ways. Passes the ball very sharply -- lots of drilled low passes that open the play up quickly.

I worry he lacks that extra string to his bow that would make him a regular starter in midfield. If he could add a bit more defensive quality to his game, then he could probably challenge for a starting place, but not clear that he has it in his locker.

• Like 1

Dean Smith has made a few comments before about how hard he has been working to get back in when he first joined.

He was in tears when he came on for a few minutes and had to go off (against Birmingham)

We saw it when he played against us. He wants it. There is no doubt about that for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So how did he play on Sunday? I’m seeing mixed reviews. 

If he is over his injury problems he could be an important player for us next season if we are stuck in this league.

Are you? That surprises me. I thought he looked on it, decent vision & execution. He quite obviously tired in the second half and he still has the tendency to run around like a headless chicken, but he did put himself about and make a noise until his legs went from under him. He was given the opportunity to throw his name into the ring as a viable option from the bench and for me he took it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are you? That surprises me. I thought he looked on it, decent vision & execution. He quite obviously tired in the second half and he still has the tendency to run around like a headless chicken, but he did put himself about and make a noise until his legs went from under him. He was given the opportunity to throw his name into the ring as a viable option from the bench and for me he took it. 

Yeah but to be fair it was a click bait article that took all the criticism from twitter and put it on one site. Going by Villatalk and Dean Smith it sounds like he did well which is good to hear. I think he’s a decent player at this level just had horrendous luck with injuries.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Powehi said:

I see no issue with keeping him on as our 4th or 5th choice CM next season - or should we sell?

nobody would touch him, poor injury record this season and now on 60/70k a week?

He will either play his part from the subs bench or not play any part and we wait for his contract to expire.

Only other option might be a loan away?, but tbh, if hes fit i would keep him around, we need to have some squad depth and when hes fit hes not a bad player......we just havent seen him fit for 95% of his time at Villa.

Edited by MaVilla

• 1 month later...

If he can stay fit, I think he still has a part to play for us.  He has fantastic technical ability and can read the pitch around him very well.  Just needs a consistent run to show what he's capable of.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KMitch said:

If he can stay fit, I think he still has a part to play for us.  

I don't. He might have done alright in a friendly, but he just isn't a very good footballer and is injured most of the time. I'd sell him as fast as possible deemed we could get in a replacement. 

Â