Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

Performances wise he is having a very good pre season. I don't think I have seen him misplace a pass. I think this needs a bit of perspective though. We have played a Minnesota second 11, Shrewsbury and Walsall. 

As well as Lansbury I think another on the midfield fringes, Bjarnason, has also looked good in the pre-season games. These games are light years away from what will be required in the Premier League though.

I do think Lansbury is technically a very good player and could well be the best passer of a ball we have. I just think he lacks the drive and half a yard to play at the level we now play at.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, useless said:

He was possibly the best player on the pitch today, but can't forget everything Hourihane did for us last season, just because Lansbury's had a couple of good games against Shrewsbury and Walsall in pre-season, taking nothing away from him, but he often plays well in friendlies and against lower league opposition in the early round of the cups, but then goes missing in the league. For me Hourihane is still way ahead of him, until Lansbury proves otherwise where it matters.

Agreed, it is madness to suggest Lansbury starting ahead of Hourihane considering what Connor did last season and Lansbury has had a couple of decent friendlys.

It's great Lansbury has turned up but how long will he keep it up for, Connor will no doubt keep him out the team. Connor was amazing last season and Connor has a foot on him where that foot creates goals.

I don't think we will see much of Lansbury in the premier, especially if we sign any more midfielders, I hope he proves me wrong and heats up the competition even more.

I suspect come January he along with a few others may be sold, let go or traded to make way for more needed replacements.

As always, hard to judge players performances in pre-season against limited opposition, however he has looked fairly decent.

One I would keep in and around the squad, but it's up to Henri to elevate his game to another level if he wants to establish himself as a regular first team player.

I think it's a tall order for him, but it's all about competition for places and whoever is performing in the shirt will keep it, which is the way it should always be.

• Like 2

Getting lots of minutes pre-season it seems. Maybe a sign that Smith wants to use him.

He's a funny one. Clearly got some talent but hugely inconsistent. If Smith can add some consistency to his game then he might surprise us.

I'm not holding my breath though

On 23/07/2019 at 10:25, lapal_fan said:

I think @TrentVilla nailed it.

Lee Hendrie is a great example, and it's indicative of someone who has been given an incredibly fortunate youth, because of their obvious skill, but they've never had that "Ronaldo-like" striving to reach the next level attitude. 

He's like the best kid in the play ground, he knows he'll get picked first, he knows he can play, so why should he break his neck to drag the team along? 

Unfortunately that attitude doesn't really transfer to the professional stage.  I think Henri is at his best when an opponent has his number and gets in his ear (hence Trent's Shelvey example), it gives him a reason to try, other than that - he'll get the ball in a low pressure area, spray a nice 30-40 yard pass and stand an admire it and jog somewhere else.  

If he was determined he'd be a real asset I think, because you can see he has an eye for a good pass, you can see he has a lovely technique and you can see he actually finds the game rather easy, it's his motivation that stops him being useful. 

Maybe the two years of injury and struggle have made him realise what he has and what he has been missing?

He is a lovely player but lacks the legs to get around the pitch.

He is not the first squad player to impress in preseason , usually one every year and as soon as the season starts they find it very difficult to force their way in.

Gardner always seemed to impress. One year it was Kozak and another it was the rebirth of Gabby.

I hope Henri can make an impact as part of a successful squad as when we are dominating he is a joy to watch but I also have my doubts.

He's played over thirty games for the club, that it's hard to pick more than one or two where he's been decent says a lot. People have been talking about him good ever since he joined us nearly three years ago, despite being just as useless he seems to escape anything like the harsh expression of disapproval that's meted Hogan and some of the others' way. Even at Forest he had a reputation of only turning up every four or five games. He's still got almost two years left on his contract though, so I guess all we can do is hope that this time he carries his good pre-season form into the actual season.

With the signings coming in I can see hourihane being the one to miss out. Lansbury if he can prove he is fit offers more in play. Hourihane did well but relies on set pieces. 

Definitely feel lansbury is smiths preferred optio.and personally feel CH will be out of his depth in the PL. 

We've given him a new Co tract which rewards his performances but also maximises our resale value as I'm sure with current prices there are EFL teams who would pay upwards of £10 mill

• Like 1

in terms of pre season surprises, i would say Lansbury has been that for me (i dont mean best performer, i just mean surprise performer).

I thought in all the pre season games he has played, he has actually played well, passed well, hit some nice ranged passes, some nice intricate passes etc, and hasnt looked overly lazy.

I actually think he has been miles better than Hourihane in pre season (as they have both covered that deeper midfield role a bit)

If he can stay fit it seems he will be a decent squad player for us.

• Like 1

I've written him off repeatedly but has really impressed pre season especially last 2 games. That ball he did crossfield to Guilbert was amazing. Just before the Jota interplay where McGinn nicked it and scored wonder goal. Smith actually playing him in the role at Forest he excelled at before we bought him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've written him off repeatedly but has really impressed pre season especially last 2 games. That ball he did crossfield to Guilbert was amazing. Just before the Jota interplay where McGinn nicked it and scored wonder goal. Smith actually playing him in the role at Forest he excelled at before we bought him

Yeah he won't be in the starting 11, but from what I have seen, if he can stay fit he probably deserves his slot in the 25.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Suits the style we want to play and the players we have. 

I think he will get minutes this year. 

I do too....looks comfortable with players around him who look comfortable.....I just have a slight doubt about his ability to battle for the ball, when called upon.....passes well though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah he won't be in the starting 11, but from what I have seen, if he can stay fit he probably deserves his slot in the 25.

And I personally think that he’d be happy enough with that because he could call himself a Premier League player. Not sure why I have that opinion of him but I do. 

He seems to get on really well with the rest of the team and he has had a good preseason so fair enough. 

Smith seems to really rate him, every time he talks about him he always speaks in glowing terms. As confusing as it might be to some of us who just don't rate him, I think I trust Smith. It's him that watches him train with Jack and SJM to see what kind of level he's at.

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Smith seems to really rate him, every time he talks about him he always speaks in glowing terms. As confusing as it might be to some of us who just don't rate him, I think I trust Smith. It's him that watches him train with Jack and SJM to see what kind of level he's at.

Yeah this was noticeable last season too. He went out of his way a couple of times to mention him. I think at minimum he's way ahead of Birkir in the mind of our head coach.

Let's put it this way, if Grealish were to pick up a knock tomorrow I'd prefer him to Hourihane. 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 08:01, Dave-R said:

Agreed, it is madness to suggest Lansbury starting ahead of Hourihane considering what Connor did last season and Lansbury has had a couple of decent friendlys.

It's great Lansbury has turned up but how long will he keep it up for, Connor will no doubt keep him out the team. Connor was amazing last season and Connor has a foot on him where that foot creates goals.

I don't think we will see much of Lansbury in the premier, especially if we sign any more midfielders, I hope he proves me wrong and heats up the competition even more.

I suspect come January he along with a few others may be sold, let go or traded to make way for more needed replacements.

bit personal.😀

Â