Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

39 minutes ago, quazzie goat said:

Offers something different to the rest of our centre mid options and worth keeping imo. 

Yeah agree, looks like we have something there we can work with. I'm all for keeping him this season think he will contribute. Might just be because we are having the ball which is suited more to him compared to when we were the exact opposite under Bruce.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Yeah agree, looks like we have something there we can work with. I'm all for keeping him this season think he will contribute. Might just be because we are having the ball which is suited more to him compared to when we were the exact opposite under Bruce.

Plus he’s actually managed 2 games without getting injured.  It’s really hard to judge him by his time at Villa as he was never fit!

Funny reading the last few pages, before today absolute crap now he is being allowed to be possibly useful in the future, not identified as an impact sub yet but I’m sure someone on here will come up with that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Don’t rate him, never rated him don’t think I ever will.

A bit harsh imo, I think he is a very good passer, has good vision, seldom gives the ball away, finds good solutions and overall seems to be a very intelligent footballer. What makes be doubt, beside his injury record, is that he doesn't seem to run and move enough for our midfield and seems a bit slow. On top of that he makes the impression of being a bit big headed and arrogant. Like he wants to stand in the middle and have the ball all the time and then let his team mates do the running.

I had some hopes of him playing as the DCM, his second half against Swansea in January in that position was really good. I think attacking wise that would suit him perfect, dictating play, letting us keep the ball and spreading passes. What makes me a bit worried playing him in that position is that I'm not sure he would be good enough defensively, or even bother doing that job properly. Having said that, he's probably not worse than Hourihane defensively.

I have some difficulties seeing him play in the other central MF positions as I think the way we want to play now it requires someone with a higher work rate and who is more mobile, although he did get his fair share of goals at Forest.

Anyway I hope he stays injury free and works hard so we can see if he can live up to what at least I see as a talented footballer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Lansbury at the peak of his game was probably his last 2 seasons at Forest. He's never reached a similar level for us and even if he did, who does he dislodge from that midfield ?

If he was good enough to be a squad players then we don't have to pay big amount of money to get expensive players to be squad fillers.

Whenever I saw him he had a goal or assist in him. He's unlucky as when he came back against the scum at home (if I can remember right) came for couple of minutes then went out injured. If he was fit when Jack wasn't playing I think we would have been a much better side than the dross we used to watch weekly.

But that's it, I don't think he can play in any other position.

8 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

A bit harsh imo, I think he is a very good passer, has good vision, seldom gives the ball away, finds good solutions and overall seems to be a very intelligent footballer. What makes be doubt, beside his injury record, is that he doesn't seem to run and move enough for our midfield and seems a bit slow. On top of that he makes the impression of being a bit big headed and arrogant. Like he wants to stand in the middle and have the ball all the time and then let his team mates do the running.

I had some hopes of him playing as the DCM, his second half against Swansea in January in that position was really good. I think attacking wise that would suit him perfect, dictating play, letting us keep the ball and spreading passes. What makes me a bit worried playing him in that position is that I'm not sure he would be good enough defensively, or even bother doing that job properly. Having said that, he's probably not worse than Hourihane defensively.

I have some difficulties seeing him play in the other central MF positions as I think the way we want to play now it requires someone with a higher work rate and who is more mobile, although he did get his fair share of goals at Forest.

Anyway I hope he stays injury free and works hard so we can see if he can live up to what at least I see as a talented footballer.

Not really, I live next to the Forest ground I watched him countless times for them before we signed him.

14 hours ago, quazzie goat said:

Offers something different to the rest of our centre mid options and worth keeping imo. 

What do you see him offering ?

I thought his first game for us he looked good, aggressive, forward runs, decent pass.

Whenever I’ve seen him since he’s looked a poor mans Westwood...I didn’t see him do anything on Sunday, despite making a deliberate effort to keep an eye on him.

He does make the squad as things are, but he’s nowhere near a starter, or matchday squad,  in my view of course.

Edited by terrytini
Added squad as it looked like I thought he was nearly a starter !

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I thought his first game for us he looked good, aggressive, forward runs, decent pass.

Whenever I’ve seen him since he’s looked a poor mans Westwood...I didn’t see him do anything on Sunday, despite making a deliberate effort to keep an eye on him.

He does make the squad as things are, but he’s nowhere near a starter, or matchday squad,  in my view of course.

Come on now there is no poor man's Westwood, Westwood is the poorest of them all

My problem with him, is his work ethic, and I don't think he'll change that. He's got beautiful technique, the way he passes the ball is sublime.  I could watch him doing keep-ups all day as well. 

And that's my major gripe with him, if he could apply himself better, show for the ball more in higher pressure areas, he'd be great. 

It's all just a bit too easy for him. 

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not really, I live next to the Forest ground I watched him countless times for them before we signed him.

I have only seen him play on a couple occations, against us for Forest and some short stints for us so I wouldn't be too sure of my opinion on him, and I almost always agree with your assesments of our players, so you are probably right. Having had to see the likes of Bacuna, Sylla and others over the last years he strikes me as a gifted footballer who knows how to pass the ball. Is it his ability in general or his attitude (or both/something else) that makes you not rate him?

17 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I have only seen him play on a couple occations, against us for Forest and some short stints for us so I wouldn't be too sure of my opinion on him, and I almost always agree with your assesments of our players, so you are probably right. Having had to see the likes of Bacuna, Sylla and others over the last years he strikes me as a gifted footballer who knows how to pass the ball. Is it his ability in general or his attitude (or both/something else) that makes you not rate him?

I don’t think the lad is without ability, clearly that isn’t the case. He is a skilled player and good passer, he is exactly what you would expect in that regard for a graduate of the Arsenal academy under Wenger.

I’ve seen him have some excellent games, one against Newcastle at the City ground in particular stands out when he got Shelvey sent off. 

So it isn’t that I don’t think he can play, he isn’t a Holman for example.

It takes more than ability on the ball though, you need grit, determination, the right character. Now I don’t know the guy so I can’t asses him as a person but what I’ve seen of him on the pitch is a player that, in my view at least, doesn’t have enough of those traits.

At Forest he never really dominated games or sufficiently influenced them given his ability on the ball. It’s true he has a great spell in his final season with them but I almost felt that was a bit Lee Hendrie like, if you recall his form always used to improve when his contract was running down.

I just had the impression Lansbury was looking for his big move or big contract and his form improved. He isn’t alone in that, I think it happens a lot, far more often than we as fans perhaps realise.

Since he got his move, well we’ve seen next to nothing of note from him. Granted he has had injury problems but it still remains true.

So I don’t think he is without ability but I felt at the time we signed him he wasn’t the player we needed or a particularly good signing.

What I’ve seen since has only enhanced that view and I don’t really see a reason to think it’s likely to change especially now we are at a significantly higher level.

I will though conceded that there is a better chance of him performing under a manager like Smith than Bruce but I’ll stop there as I think the world knows my views on the later and I’d bore myself covering that ground.

So to answer your question, I think he has ability. What I doubt is his ability to impact that ability on games in anything remotely close to a consistent way, as for the reason for that well it’s impossible to say for certain but I’ve my own thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a fan if I'm honest. Never does too much, just enough, never dictates, just participates. I don't see the point of holding onto him if we can move him on. 

Im not basing anything on his injury record either but I see another Gardner in him. Will do better at a club where he is the focal point of the midfield. Not good enough for us with the players we have and are looking to bring in. 

It's an out from me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I'm not a fan if I'm honest. Never does too much, just enough, never dictates, just participates. I don't see the point of holding onto him if we can move him on. 

Im not basing anything on his injury record either but I see another Gardner in him. Will do better at a club where he is the focal point of the midfield. Not good enough for us with the players we have and are looking to bring in. 

It's an out from me I'm afraid.

It's also a no from me.

22 hours ago, terrytini said:

He's been misused a lot IMO.

Most of the time he's been asked to sit deep, which is really the opposite of what he's good at.

Long way back now, but he's best performance was against Hull in the season opener, and he bossed the game... until tactics changed and he had to sit deep and they were all over us then. I don't mind having him on the bench as a fill in for McGinn in the Cups. He's more of a replacement for him than Connor is IMO.

Â