Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

Just now, Zatman said:

just a friendly but he looks bloody sharp, passing is very crisp and crucially he looks hungry and fit

I think Jack and Jota's understanding has helped him too, it'd be nice to see Lansbury as an option this season, no doubt that he has the ability to play at this level it's just whether he has the hunger and fitness as you say.

26 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Playing the ball around lovely tonight so he was.

He gives us options for sure.

Rumours Stoke want him as part of a deal for Butland (of course could be a load of talk).

yeah, looked class tonight, did some lovely short and semi long range passes, tidy and interlinked well with jota/grealish.

"if".........."if" he can stay fit will play a part on the evidence of tonight.

big if though......

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Played very well. Still don't see how he gets minutes though when we have all our business done.

Certain we will spread it around this season, we need a strong squad. We have players for 2 or 3 formations, as a technical ball player Lansbury offers much to all our possible set ups - a very useful player.

Edited by thunderball

Credit where it's due, I've been very critical of his work rate, but tonight I saw him sprint!

Lovely touches, nice passing, and he even got in the box a couple of times and forced the keeper into a good save.

Keep it up!

I don't think I have seen this Horrid Henri in his time at Villa that some have?

I have seen a player used in a role he is not suited for and constantly injured, but I have always respected his ability on the ball and have not had cause to question his work rate. He can be a bit headless at times, but I wonder if Smith and RO'K have managed to drum some tactical consistency into him? 

Right now, like it or not, he is 4th choice centre mid*. He will be pushed to 5th soon, whether via Douglas or another and his inability to stay fit is clearly a huge concern, but he looks the part this pre-season. 

*As a minimum. He is making Hourihane look extremely limited right now. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

On 23/07/2019 at 09:01, Jimmyg said:

He’s a good looking bloke his mrs is fit, keep.

Not seen his lady, now you have me all curious. 

Hope we see more of the edan sisters this season, they should certainly model in the new kit.

Back to the football:

He didn't half make his run to fast when Jota unselfishly passed the ball to him and the ball just slowly went behind Lansbury. He is trying more and it's great to see him play abit of footy at least, whether he will be in the final picture I don't know but he could make the subs bench I feel at times.

Edited by Dave-R

He was excellent tonight and I totally refute the post above that questions his attitude. I think that is nonsense, he has never shown anything but professionalism. If we are honest, it hasn't worked for him at Villa so far, but that is not because he hasn't tried. A bit like Hogan, we have not suited Lansbury. It hasn't worked.

There are signs to me however tentative in this pre season that he's capable of being a decent player. 

He's been given an opportunity to impress above McGinn this evening and he showed against much lesser opposition that he can offer something different. I have my doubts whether he can make a significant impact in the premier league, however it appears to me as if we're shifting our play style from 'down the wings and cross it' to a bit more variation and penetration through the middle. I think that will suit Lansbury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was possibly the best player on the pitch today, but can't forget everything Hourihane did for us last season, just because Lansbury's had a couple of good games against Shrewsbury and Walsall in pre-season, taking nothing away from him, but he often plays well in friendlies and against lower league opposition in the early round of the cups, but then goes missing in the league. For me Hourihane is still way ahead of him, until Lansbury proves otherwise where it matters.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

He was possibly the best player on the pitch today, but can't forget everything Hourihane did for us last season, just because Lansbury's had a couple of good games against Shrewsbury and Walsall in pre-season, taking nothing away from him, but he often plays well in friendlies and against lower league opposition in the early round of the cups, but then goes missing in the league. For me Hourihane is still way ahead of him, until Lansbury proves otherwise where it matters.

Goes missing?

When did he had a proper run since he came? Our first season he played out of position, and the whole team were bad. I can't also say that I've watched a lot that season as there was no avtv, and I only came to one game in Villa Park. So it was the few live games which I've seen. 

Anyway, I remember him coming as sub against Leeds in our second season, to get us a draw. Then against Ipswich for couple of minutes to score. If he played when Jack wasn't playing, we would have had a big chance to be much better. Him and Hourihane have a goal and assist in them. Hourihane is much useful as he could fill up couple of positions. However I would definitely start Lansbury if we were going to put one of them as a playmaker. He was unlucky, I remember him against the **** in the 4-2 game. He only stayed 5 minutes to leave and didn't feature for a while.

Saying that, I can see us getting Luiz as well as Nakamba (or someone else). With Hourihane and Lansbury to be kept as a squad options.

2 hours ago, useless said:

Hourihane for me was worst of the starters by a long way and I never want to see him played at DM ever again. Lansbury impressed. With a proper DM signed neither get in the first team ahead of McGinn and Grealish but good bench backup

Lansbury offers something different to all of our current  midfielders, it's a difficult role to play against higher quality opposition though so we will have to wait and see how it works out but you can't knock his attitude , he's obviously trying hard after a difficult time at villa with injuries and playing styles .

• Like 1

Â