Gareth Southgate

Richard

All of a sudden he's become the most successful England manager in decades. It's a results based sport, and he's getting results. The players seem to like playing for him. They are a disciplined side. No goals allowed so far. He's been justified in starting Sterling and Kane. He's annoying and conservative, but the ends justify the means.

Doesn’t want egos in the team but he’s got the biggest one of them all. I used to admire him as a kid when he played for us. Now I hate him. Im unhappy that it perpetuates the myth of him being a great manager but I’m more happy for the other players that we are in the final in spite of him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skruff said:

It's a team you'll  root for if you're English. He's getting results, fair play. If you're neutral he's the dementor of football.

I’m English and I root for the players in spite of him because I think he is a dementor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skruff said:

It's a team you'll  root for if you're English. He's getting results, fair play. If you're neutral he's the dementor of football.

Can't be bothered to look it up, is a dementor another word for dickhead😏

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Can't be bothered to look it up, is a dementor another word for dickhead😏

A Dementor is a gliding, wraithlike Dark creature, widely considered to be one of the foulest to inhabit the wizarding world. Dementors feed on human happiness and thus generate feelings of depression and despair in any person in close proximity to them.

Pretty apt description 🤣

He’s getting results so fair play to him on that, it does seem like he’s supremely lucky though. The draws he gets, the bizarre tactical decisions etc.

We’re in the final and we’ve not played a top team who are in good form yet.

Some people might flinch if you feign to slap them.  Southgate would run out of the room, drive home, lock all the doors and windows and climb into bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

He’s getting results so fair play to him on that, it does seem like he’s supremely lucky though. The draws he gets, the bizarre tactical decisions etc.

We’re in the final and we’ve not played a top team who are in good form yet.

Have to agree. We've looked good defensively but no teams have really tested us too much. Southgate hasn't had to respond to any lucky goals or moments of individual brilliance from the opposition, and Germany fluffed two very good chances against us. Had they scored those we'd be looking at a defeat by a fairly uninspiring German team that were, as we saw from the last twenty minutes, there for the taking. I worry that he'll start the same team against Italy, who'll cut through us and be 2-0 up at half time, and then rely on Jack and others coming on to save us again, when maybe finding a way to play Grealish from the start would have just been more straightforward...

• Like 2

I think the kind draws are really helping Gareth.

2018 semi finals run was: Columbia (won on pens), Sweden, Croatia (lost). Lost both the group game and 3rd place playoff to Belgium.

2021 final run was: Germany, Ukraine, and Denmark.

Aside from Germany, who were poor there’s no wins against top sides in there.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the kind draws are really helping Gareth.

2018 semi finals run was: Columbia (won on pens), Sweden, Croatia (lost). Lost both the group game and 3rd place playoff to Belgium.

2021 final run was: Germany, Ukraine, and Denmark.

Aside from Germany, who were poor there’s no wins against top sides in there.

While true you can only beat whats in front of you. In 2018 they lost to Belgium strategically as they would have went into the nightmare side of the draw. 

I think the gap between the big nations and mid tier nations is getting closer. Portugal and Croatia now England have got to recent finals so its not like it was for years previous 

How many managers have we had since 66? None of them have achieved what Southgate has.  He's really dogmatic, doesn't care about making unpopular decisions. Thinks things through very carefully.  I like him as a person as well but hate the his treatment of Grealish but if we bring back the trophy it doesn't matter.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Some people might flinch if you feign to slap them.  Southgate would run out of the room, drive home, lock all the doors and windows and climb into bed.

You don't captain several PL clubs, play for your country 60 times, step up in a semi final to take a penalty for the first time ever, manage your country, manage a group of 26, and a mammoth set up behind it by being an absolute melt.

Say what you want about his abhorrent football like but come on.

• Like 1

Â