Gareth Southgate

Richard

• 4 years later...
10 minutes ago, Genie said:

He’s doing alright here isn’t he.

Getting better. Started slowly but all clicking now. 

• Like 1

His record in the tournament is starting to look very impressive - not having conceded a goal at all is quite remarkable. I think he still needs to navigate the Denmark banana skin before we can heap too much praise on him though.

The football isn't particularly pretty but at the end of the day you can't argue with results.

• Like 2

Will probably be England manager for a decade. Seen in past FA are happy to keep managers in posts when going out in group stages even (Keegan and Hodgson in last 20 years) and I think part of him knows he'll get exposed at club level like at Boro if he goes back in anytime soon as it's a different beast and he wouldn't get one of the top 6.

Actually wonder if NSWE would consider him post DS but he'd probably delight in rejecting us so rather not bother.

Basically his job now for as long as he wants it.

Edited by VillaChris

He’s doing well. Better than I thought he would. 

I’m accepting of how Grealish is being used. I don’t want him injured, I’m happy for the crowd to sing for him when he’s needed (they’re not really doing that for anyone else), he can be a hero through cameos when called upon.

I’m still not wholly convinced on Southgate as a manager. But I can’t argue with the results. I think there is merit in the argument in him having had a more fortunate draw - Germany by far and away the biggest hurdle he has cleared in these tournaments.

I also think that he has a better squad at his disposal relative to other countries than previous England managers. So let’s say Sven had a great squad of players, Germany or Italy (say) had better. A few of the other countries England would typically fear seem to be in a state of flux at the moment and England aren’t. He deserves credit for the England squad not being in a state of flux.

But as has been pointed out, if you have a player like Grealish, or Foden as options off the bench and you don’t need them, you’re not short of talent. While there’s always at least one player that an England manager leaves out that people feel he should include, I’m not sure many England managers have had quite the abundance Gareth has had.

But caveats aside, to reiterate he’s doing well. Win it Gareth, because I don’t think you’ll have a better chance than this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish he was just a bit more attacking with his tactics and more daring in giving other people a better chance to shine instead of cameos. But it’s a results business and he is getting them. On the whole, we are boring to watch and my feelings as a Villa fan towards Southgate cloud my judgement somewhat but how can I argue with two semi finals in a row?.

Yes he has a bloody great squad of individuals to pick from which helps but he still needs to form a squad and style. I don’t know. I wish I could enjoy watching them a bit more. 

• Like 2

He's done better than Capello and Eriksson did. 

2 major semis (KW) in a row. 

The players seems to like him. 

I'm not a massive fan of him and think he's a bit negative but its a results game and he's doing OK so far isn't he?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Meh. 

Very similar to Solskjaer.

Created a happy camp and got decent coaches around him.

Still don't think he is tactically astute enough to win a final though.

The final will be against a very good team, almost certainly Italy, winning the whole thing would be incredible and I don't think anyone is assuming we'll win.

Edited by Davkaus

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The final will be against a very good team, almost certainly Italy, winning the whole thing would be incredible and I don't think anyone is assuming we'll win.

Yeah. A Italy team with an inferior squad.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we beat Italy 'with an inferior squad', maybe you could write to UEFA, ask really nicely, and they might engrave an asterisk on the trophy for you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

They look a hell of a team though. Losing Spinazzola will be massive, but even then they're a coherent unit with a clear gameplan. Germany proved before how that's more important than having superior individuals.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Will probably be England manager for a decade. Seen in past FA are happy to keep managers in posts when going out in group stages even (Keegan and Hodgson in last 20 years) and I think part of him knows he'll get exposed at club level like at Boro if he goes back in anytime soon as it's a different beast and he wouldn't get one of the top 6.

Actually wonder if NSWE would consider him post DS but he'd probably delight in rejecting us so rather not bother.

Basically his job now for as long as he wants it.

He would love to bench Grealish weekly 😉😂

It’s such a strange position he is in. And probably shows why it is such a hard job. 
The guy has got us to two international tournament semi finals in a row, a feat not done in my lifetime (I also didn’t realise we’d done that in 68 but then the tournament appears to have been different then). 
We’ve beaten Germany and then cruised through a quarter final. Not conceded a goal and rotated some of the squad. 

Yet after all that, if went to a poll a lot of England fans would say someone else could do better and play more attacking football. 

Edited by mikeyp102

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He would love to bench Grealish weekly 😉😂

And only sign players with Premier League experience, well, sort of, maybe some can play without it - just not all, a few maybe. 

Â