Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I didn't watch the game and have only just watched the highlights...

...but, **** me, we didn't half miss some decent chances there.  I can't comment on the general performance, obviously, but it definitely seems like the players let us down last night?

Like I said in the match thread...

It was the kind of game where, if we were having a good season, you'd pass it off as just one of those days at the office. Frustrating, should have won, but it happens. We were unlucky.

BUT

in the context of our season so far, it's just another turd on the massive shit sandwich we've seen so far.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How can you have players like Hogan, Adomah, Snodgrass, Davis, Hourihane, Green, Kodjia etc at your disposal at this level and struggle to score goals? To 0-0 draws at home in a row? Inexcusable.

Bit of a strange post.

Whilst scoring goals is undoubtedly our problem, I'm not sure you can expect too much from those named?  Snodgrass has been here for... 2 games?  How much has he played?  Davis hasn't scored a career goal.  Green has maybe 1.  Kodjia hasn't played this season.  Hourihane is (or was) joint top scorer in the league.

So basically, he hasn't got Hogan or Adomah scoring.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bit of a strange post.

Whilst scoring goals is undoubtedly our problem, I'm not sure you can expect too much from those named?  Snodgrass has been here for... 2 games?  How much has he played?  Davis hasn't scored a career goal.  Green has maybe 1.  Kodjia hasn't played this season.  Hourihane is (or was) joint top scorer in the league.

Well, he hasn't even got Hogan playing, IMO Bruce isn't capable of putting a side out to play to Hogan's strengths either, so right now that's £12m+ (depending on who you believe) completely wasted on him. 

The no goals thing is not so much to do with the players at his disposal as to how he sets up and trains this squad. The Brentford game was painful, last night we dropped points at home again, the longer it goes on the less chance we have of getting out of this league this year and the consequences of that are frightening. Really want an announcement today.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

No, No.....i just can't see the point of just slagging the bloke off.

The bruce outers are better than that......we can all see what they are saying and its right.

but as some other posters have said, it may not be that foregone and all we are doing is winding ourselves up.

i am merely saying.....stay positive and just report what you think he should be doing.

on another note....i have a concern of how to circumnavigate the poor refereeing in this division its shocking what is let go as acceptable.

He played on the front foot in the 2nd half but surely against 10 men the change should have been made sooner - the first half was pretty poor .

we as a team are much better on the front foot but I fear he will again revert to a negative approach at Barnsley . 

Surely this cannot continue much longer results wise - I cannot see us making 10 points up on Leeds already even at this stage .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bit of a strange post.

I really don't get why Hogan is a prerequisite in so many people 's winning Villa team. Its a distinct possibility that he just isn't going to work out here - whoever the manager. As has been said he completely mis kicked a routine cross last night - his generally on ball skills look dreadful . 

On 01/02/2017 at 00:29, Grasshopper said:

I take no pride in this.

I also have no shame in saying it.

One must learn from mistakes.

Mistake nr

1) Gaby back - didnt work sent wrong message to players - maybe this helped push RHM & McC over the edge - Maybe the atmo at BMH and matchdays was then reverted to the old loser vibe we had under RL so players like Bunn, Hutton, Westwood, Bacuna & Amavi returning to "old ways".

2) Style of play - even with the limited squad we had surely something had to happen regarding a system of play for players to look less clueless than they have done

3) GK - Gollini may have been a mistake buy but to NOT go for a steady pair of hands in means we suffer even more now

4) Calderwood - if this meant he's now less hands on then he made a mistake and should reverse it asap.

5) Formations, Tactical changes within games (without subbing) and subs -  why oh why doesnt he change things if its not working/the danger signs start to show/set up with some sort of plan b within a line up (without subs). Subbing so late or after the game is beyond saving?

I was ridiculed when I said RDM was a good "broom" sweeping a few out but had shown by Luton that he wasnt the one.

Bruce has also  "broomed" a fair few out.

So well done to both for contributing a great deal to the clearout much needed.

But Bruce, like RDM, is not the man to get us to take the game to the opposition, giving us a chance to dominate games, enabling us to "learn" how to win in this league.

The momentum (results) that he got wasnt developed into a momentum of play that could give us a chance to win confidence and be feared by teams.

He's lost the momentum

He's lost gift of time (number of matches left to gradually catch up)

So, like I said, I take no pleasure in saying it.

But

Bruce Out - time to go - he hasnt got it about/in him to change his ways.

What I saw tonight was not football in any manner or form.

GK - mistake

RB - Buy to replace or go to back 3 - Bacuna (yes I know) as WB

LB - Taylor? to replace amavi? Back 3 to allow Amavi a bit of freedom

CB's now that Chester/Baker have a shit GK behind them RB & LB gone to shit too. When Jedi is not there to protect them they will be exposed

MF - Tonight playing CL on the right with Adomah & Green wide, a clearly not matchfit Thor with HL as DM was simply wrong

Bacuna HL CL

Adomah Kodjia Green could have worked so much better

CF - so much dustance between MF & Kodjia wS never going to work.

I'm no Football manager and I dont even play FM or FIFA77. But if I was any manager (even of Rotherham) I'd instruct my players to

1) push on, press and make them hoof because thats what they will revert to.

2) if we are under any pressure "kick it out" a Villa throw in means automatically regaining a throw in or possesion.

3) the rain and slippery conditions also meant that the team with the ball in their own half would conceed eventually if that was where the ball was spending most of its time.

4) We are so predictable, any team reads what we do and what we dont do. If they are good enough to work us they will beat us simple as that.

It'll only change with a change of approach from us.

If Bruce cant do that he must go.

I dont see it in him so for me he must go.

Sad times

UTV

VTID

from 01.02.2017

On 01/02/2017 at 13:53, Grasshopper said:

I've seen enough.

We are not going to get anywhere untill the "old" personel and ways are gone.

Some of the new has been contaminated so we are in a state of

Rinse - gets rid of some of the cancer - which grows back into the rinsed.

Repeat - untill manager cant rinse any more.

RDM & Bruce are just stepping stones untill we are completely rid of the "losing" tag.

As soon as DrT see's this the better. Even the next "Rinser" (if there are traces of cancer still here) will be worn out pretty quickly.

Imagine you have an area to clean of 100sqMtr

1 cleaner has the capacity to clean 30% of it then the cleaner is a spent force

so you get the next cleaner in (40% capacity)

and so forth and so on.....

Till you've cleaned the whole lot.

Now we're at the point where

GK is a downgrade

Hutton still playing (Bree when?)

no back up at CB good enough

Chester/Baker showing signs of the strain of having shit L, R and behind them

Richards still here

Amavi performing badly (Taylor upgrade?)

No cover for Jedi

Bacuna, Gardner and Gaby not good enough

Calderwood and Walsh coming in and even worse performances coming out

No progression from Bruce as to play pattern/tactics/plan A, B or C

So what do we have?

A few newbies - upgrades or not?

Now one thing hasnt been looked at is - the one(s) making the decisions

DrT - Check

Wyness - seems to be - check

Round - ?

Bruce - ?

Calderwood - ?

Walsh - ?

That's where I see the problem

Who chose SJ?

Who chose Calderwood?

Who chooses the tactics/style?

Who chose Bruce?

Who Chose Round?

Where is the break in the chain that leads us to the disorganised shit on the pitch away at Brentford losing 3-0 never looking like 0-0 could be 0-1 and more importantly 1-0 looking more like 2-0 3-0 4-0 was the only way it was going to go?

Lambert, our longest serving manager during the plug-pull from RL, had his hands tied.

Bruce has a "support" good will one can only dream of.

Surely that alone is a carrot to dangle in front of a Manager of both style and repute?

I'm at a loss because things are still so shit, and the same shit seems to be recycling.

We lost to Brentford for the 1st time in our history.

Remember when Lambert broke his 1st record? It didnt stop there because we didnt solve the problem.

We need to solve the nows problem.

Bruce, Calderwood and Walsh out.

Round - Time to deliver or go

from 01.02.2017

not much has changed eh?

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Hope is a wonderful thing. You go to bed shitty about another dire performance, and you wake up and shovel handfuls of hope back in your pockets, and it doesn't cost a cent.

Experience, however is the guide. When you experience and see the same thing over and over, hope gives way to that experience.

With what you described happening, that would be nice, but there is more chance of discovered footage of a threesome involving Barbara Streisand, Boy George and an ewok on a backpacking holiday from Endor.

AJ The alternative is keep chipping away, at a manager that is at our football club and until he goes, we have no idea how long that is going to last.

for my part....I am going to channel my thoughts in to what I think we should be doing.....despite what he does

I would not have picked that team in the first half.....but so what, I'm not the manager

We have a duty to ourselves to remain positive......when/if he goes I will be forming no inquests in my head, I will just move on.....just looking  forward to supporting the New manager.....but while he is here I hope he finds some solutions to our problems and gets us winning.

I am not hanging around and waiting for Humpty Dumpty to fall off the wall.....thats the clubs job.

Edited by TRO

10 point off the pace, and the damage has almost been done after just 7 games. Another game or two and automatic promotion will be out of the question and it'll be last season all over again. Performances are putrid, results are septic, given the options at our disposal the last 44 games (50 odd including cups) have been a genuine disgrace. The number one reason some still seem against the idea of sacking Bruce is because "there is nobody else out there", which is complete nonsense. Put aside the fact that if I surgically removed my left testicle and it was placed in a caretaker manager role, with Rightie in as assistant, it couldn't do worse than Bruce is currently producing. There are dozens of good managers available, we just keep hiring awful ones. Off the top of my head we could approach

Francesco Guidolin

Walter Mazzari

Murat Yakin

Christian Gourcuff

Thomas Schaaf

Slavisa Jokanovic

Stefano Colantuono

Massimo Rastelli

Antoine Kombouare

Cesare Prandelli

These all have fantastic records in management and are modern and progressive. Yes, some may turn us down, but others would jump at the chance and there are countless more who would maximize the talent we have rather than fixate on "being at it", "battening down the hatches" and reducing us to far more than the sum of our parts.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Lee hendrie thinks we should stand by SB as he will come good.  Yeah he has a good cv but we have seen zero progress on the pitch since his arrival and nothing to suggest its going to change.

He should have gone at the end of last season

Hendrie left ages ago

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

He probably still feels guilty about knobbing Bruce's daughter.

Hendrie usually does the Sky live villa games and looked uneasy next to Bruce on the touchline after the Bristol game - probably doesn't want to get on his wrong side again .

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

AJ The alternative is keep chipping away, at a manager that is at our football club and until he goes, we have no idea how long that is going to last.

for my part....I am going to channel my thoughts in to what I think we should be doing.....despite what he does

I would not have picked that team in the first half.....but so what, I'm not the manager

We have a duty to ourselves to remain positive......when/if he goes I will be forming no inquests in my head, I will just move on.....just looking  forward to supporting the New manager.....but while he is here I hope he finds some solutions to our problems and gets us winning.

I am not hanging around and waiting for Humpty Dumpty to fall of the wall.....thats the clubs job.

If you watch football then there are times when you just no there is no going back, no redemption and Bruce passed that point with a large section of the support (if he hadnt already) on Saturday. We are just marking time until the inevitable happens.

The board might as well do it now, waiting for saturday is just not going to change a single thing except more point may be lost. I dont see what the board think might happen after his tenure so far, we have got worse since the start of the year and are nowhere near promotion pace, infact if we continue in the vain of 2017 so far we will be battling to stay in the division. He doesnt set us up to win games and thats his biggest flaw, you dont get promotion by playing not to lose. Whoever the new man will be he has to be more adventerous, win 1 and lose 1 gains you more points than 2 draws.

Steve you have been well backed in the 11 months you have been here, you have signed players for every position on the pitch but are no nearer a team than you were last October. Thanks but its time.

• Like 4

Â