Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, sne said:

Apparently there was lots of positives today, we were very, very good and had 20 attempts on target. (actual number was 6)

The actual number was absolutely not six - we had two groups of three that came in the same incidents. In fairness, and going only on the evidence of my (admittedly ropey) eyesight, I'd be inclined to think it was nearer twenty than six.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

bjarnasson has shown nothing since he arrived - looks well out of his depth.

how the hell did he get picked to start ?

I have a theory he is Hutton with a wig. Never see them both together, Hutton ensures all attacks go through him down the right and break down , Birker does the same down the left.

Both similar levels of football brain and ability ( and I use both terms advisedly).

I think we went for Thor but got his alter ego, the lame Doctor Blake.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The actual number was absolutely not six - we had two groups of three that came in the same incidents. In fairness, and going only on the evidence of my (admittedly ropey) eyesight, I'd be inclined to think it was nearer twenty than six.

Didn't count myself during the game as the stream was a bit on and off.

Only going by the SKY stats and they say 6 on target. 3 blocked. 9 off target.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Didn't count myself during the game as the stream was a bit on and off.

Only going by the SKY stats and they say 6 on target. 3 blocked. 9 off target.

Ah - my bad, I'm thinking of shots at the target rather than on target - the sky numbers probably aren't far off on that basis.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the issue is around him saying we had 20 on target and I just checked and it was 18 shots and six on target. Like you at the game it felt as though we had more on target than that.

I know it is not necessarily the done thing in this thread, and you feel like you are putting your head above the parapet, but I thought we did okay tonight. Aside from not making a change in the first half and taking advantage earlier of the extra man I thought Bruce did okay as well in terms of his substitutions. Had we had a bit of luck, or not been unlucky in front of goal, we'd have won comfortably all be it with an extra man for 60 minutes.

It isn't just about tonight though and the fact remains overall he hasn't done well enough and if he wants to keep his job results have to improve now as I think he has very little wiggle room left.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Possibly. He doesn't have the demeanor of a man that thinks that though and seemed very buoyant in the interview.

I don't know what is going to happen. I come on VT and the fan base is against him it seems but this thread is a very small sample size I guess as I go to VP tonight and in the Holte I didn't sense much if any anti Bruce feeling and plenty chanted his name during claret and blue army a number of times. 

Results can't go on like this for much longer without him getting the boot though. He needs a win asap and I'd imagine by the end of this month he needs to pick up 2 or 3 wins from the remaining four games. If not just like with RDM the international break will see a change made. He won't last that long though if we lose the next couple.

One point to note from tonight. Some were saying he had perhaps lost the dressing room. I didn't get that impression at all from tonight's performance, in fact quite the opposite. It lacked quality at times but to a man they put a shift in.

True. It's a peculiar one.

Pretty much everyone around me on the Holte wants him gone, with different levels of conviction.

Same at awayvgames.

Yet as you say he still gets some vocal support - they even asked him for a wave after we finally managed 5 minutes consistent pressure second half.

Equally though there were a few " sacked in the morning" chants on Saturday. Not much but a bit.

Sadly quite a bit of flack is being directed at the players.

It does seem that people are a little less hostile than one might expect - but that was the same with RDM.

Considering his stats, and how poor we are to watch, and what we've been through for 6/7 years I think he's being treated very patiently, which makes his comments about 'hysteria' all the more objectionable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the issue is around him saying we had 20 on target and I just checked and it was 18 shots and six on target. Like you at the game it felt as though we had more on target than that.

I know it is not necessarily the done thing in this thread and you feel like you are putting your head above the parapet but I thought we did okay tonight. Aside from not making a change in the first half and taking advantage earlier of the extra man I thought Bruce did okay as well in terms of his substitutions. Had we had a bit of luck, or not been unlucky in front of goal, we'd have won comfortably all be it with an extra man for 60 minutes.

It isn't just about tonight though and the fact remains overall he hasn't done well enough and if he wants to keep his job results have to improve now as I think he has very little wiggle room left.

Ok ?

Not for me.

As you say ..... apart from not making some pretty obvious changes earlier

or making use of the extra man....

and failing to score.

Thats quite a big set of 'apart froms !!

And this against a side with no real away form.

And for me all the second half did was show how easy it would be for any attack minded manager to get a performance from the players.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah - my bad, I'm thinking of shots at the target rather than on target - the sky numbers probably aren't far off on that basis.

That might very well have been what he actually meant.

I'm just been seeing a pattern of late where he tweaks the numbers and facts a bit in interviews to make them more favorable for him.

Certainly not the only manager who does this :)

I just find it irritating now that I've well and truly lost patience with him.

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It does seem that people are a little less hostile than one might expect - but that was the same with RDM.

I'd imagine we are no more than another couple of games without a win and the masses will turn on him. Conversely I don't think we are more than a couple of wins away from hearing his name chanted more vociferously.

I don't sense, aside from a few on here, a strong desire bordering on hatred to see the back of him. I think most of us are sick to death, or simply just tired, of changing managers every few months and going through another process of transition and personnel changes. I think that is why he is being given some grace from the masses that go regularly and a little more patience. We all desperately want to see a manager succeed here.

As I said before though there is no doubt he is drinking in last chance saloon and he needs results now.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I'd imagine we are no more than another couple of games without a win and the masses will turn on him. Conversely I don't think we are more than a couple of wins away from hearing his name chanted more vociferously.

I don't sense, aside from a few on here, a strong desire bordering on hatred to see the back of him. I think most of us are sick to death, or simply just tired, of changing managers every few months and going through another process of transition and personnel changes. I think that is why he is being given some grace from the masses that go regularly and a little more patience. We all desperately want to see a manager succeed here.

As I said before though there is no doubt he is drinking in last chance saloon and he needs results now.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I want the buffoon out of here asap. I wanted him gone end of last season, then watched the pre-season and wanted him gone then. And now I'm praying every night that he's out of here.

He appears to live permanently in a world where " tomorrow" everything will be fine.

Yet in his whole career he has never managed the 2.2 points per game ratio he now needs.....and he's averaging less than 1 point per game over his last 13 games.

But somehow he says we are hysterical ?

• Like 1

Just now, USA_Villa said:

I don't think you could be more wrong. I want the buffoon out of here asap. I wanted him gone end of last season, then watched the pre-season and wanted him gone then. And now I'm praying every night that he's out of here.

I am in no doubt there are a number of fans like you that want him gone and have wanted him gone for some time.You only have to read this thread to see that. I am only going off the impression I am getting going to the games and the crowd reaction towards him that I don't get the impression the masses have turned on him yet.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I am in no doubt there are a number of fans like you that want him gone and have wanted him gone for some time.You only have to read this thread to see that. I am only going off the impression I am getting going to the games and the crowd reaction towards him that I don't get the impression the masses have turned on him yet.

Whilst I agree to some extent don't overlook the fact that some are just not going.

And by the end of games a lot who do go have left, which one assumes will be to some extent those less than enamoured with what they see (I know a proportion always leave early but the place was deserted by the final whistle tonight ).

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it has past that stage already mate.

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He has needed results since the Bristol game.  He has picked up 3 points from a possible 9!!

Shall we give him until January? Where the stat will most probably be 18 points from a possible 65.

To be honest it's farcical he's still here, with the time and money he's had, given the results.

And that's without considering the garbage football and total absence of anything even remotely resembling a style of play.

Hes living a charmed life,

• Like 1

Â