Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I understand the frustration and i see the merits of comments on both sides.

what i personally would like to see in this column, is fans focussing on what Steve Bruce should be doing to get us functioning the way we should.

Its all very well saying he is a **** manager.....but what does that really mean....its just a frustrating exclamation.

We on here need nourishment not punishment.

There are some discening fans on here who, can muster thoughtful debate without getting in to bland nondescript comments.

We can all see that our manager is struggling and positivity is in short supply around VP

I would like to see us get back to proclaiming what We think we need to do to reverse the trend.

Lets be honest there is no right or wrong answer, but it would make for more interesting reading.

I think last night was a microcosm of Bruce's problems. Middlesborough were suddenly down to ten men four minutes after the kick off, and it was their most dangerous attacking player who was suddenly off the pitch and out of the equation.

What did Bruce do? What immediate changes did he make to our shape or personnel?

The team he picked was set up to defend, and after just four minutes that team plan became redundant. Bruce had to be pro active and change to two strikers by taking off Jedinak. Jedi wouldn't have been happy but managers are there to make the tough decisions. Bruce as usual didn't do a thing and missed a real opportunity.

Our coaching should bring an instinctive fluidity to the team. We should be able to flow from one formation to another without batting an eyelid and interchange players accordingly, but we obviously cannot. Imagine what the non stop pestering in your face energy of a player like Callum O'hare would have done to ten man Middlesborough's defence during the hour between Traore and Lansbury being sent off. They would have been on their knees.

Instead we were left with a bunch of individuals trying hard to get a goal, without knowing who was going to do what next, and even getting in each others way. 

You ask what "Steve Bruce should be doing to get us functioning the way we should" TRO. He needs to coach effectively and pick the right team while being tactically pro-active. 

Unfortunately, I think we know that is beyond him. Sadly (in my opinion) he does not have the ability to reverse the trend that his inadequacies are responsible for.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Lee hendrie thinks we should stand by SB as he will come good.  Yeah he has a good cv but we have seen zero progress on the pitch since his arrival and nothing to suggest its going to change.

He should have gone at the end of last season

Dumbo can do one.

45 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He played on the front foot in the 2nd half but surely against 10 men the change should have been made sooner - the first half was pretty poor .

we as a team are much better on the front foot but I fear he will again revert to a negative approach at Barnsley . 

Surely this cannot continue much longer results wise - I cannot see us making 10 points up on Leeds already even at this stage .

I find it hard to disagree.

equally, I find it is much easier to get change in anything, if you proclaim the positives as opposed to complaining about the negatives.

10 points at this stage is not insurmountable.....but to do that things need to happen.....It cannot happen if things stay like this.

We need to start winning and if we do that, so many things that seem broken are soon fixed......Leeds need to drop points and there is enough teams in this league to help us do that.....but thats them....lets focus on us.

Its no good us trying to "boil the ocean" in terms of getting our heads around so many things that are wrong.....we need to fix one thing and so many others will repair themselves.

WE NEED TO bloomin' WIN.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I find it hard to disagree.

equally, I find it is much easier to get change in anything, if you proclaim the positives as opposed to complaining about the negatives.

10 points at this stage is not insurmountable.....but to do that things need to happen.....It cannot happen if things stay like this.

We need to start winning and if we do that, so many things that seem broken are soon fixed......Leeds need to drop points and there is enough teams in this league to help us do that.....but thats them....lets focus on us.

Its no good us trying to "boil the ocean" in terms of getting our heads around so many things that are wrong.....we need to fix one thing and so many others will repair themselves.

WE NEED TO bloomin' WIN.

We need to win several games on the spin - a win alone fixes nothing as we saw against Norwich .

having won one in 7 and on paper there will be much harder fixtures against other clubs to come it's hard to see us going on a run of wins . 

We are already way off the pace and simply cannot afford to wait any longer. 

Just now, Don_Simon said:

Two people in my staff-room of ten, both fellow Villans, think he should stay. So perhaps the notion that he needs to go isn't as widespread as we thought...

The crowd seem far more patient with him at games than the majority on here - makes me wonder if wyness feels the fans aren't really turning yet ?  

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Two people in my staff-room of ten, both fellow Villans, think he should stay. So perhaps the notion that he needs to go isn't as widespread as we thought...

I hate to be one of those people, but do the people who still want him to stay actually watch us play? If they do and they can't realise how inept and clueless Bruce is then you have to wonder just what they're seeing that we aren't.

• Like 2

Just now, Phumfeinz said:

I hate to be one of those people, but do the people who still want him to stay actually watch us play? If they do and they can't realise how inept and clueless Bruce is then you have to wonder just what they're seeing that we aren't.

One has a season ticket and one, like I, goes sporadically. But I understand the question - i dont invest much time or money into Villa and want this Bruceasauraus dinosaur gone as soon as possible. I cant even imagine how strongly the die hard attenders feel about it!

• Like 1

How does he still have a job?

I was slated on here for saying he shouldn't have been on holidays during the international break, there was and still is a lot of work to be done.

Bruce is out of his depth at the moment.

Club is rotted to the core,  we need fresh ideas, not experience.

• Like 1

The trouble is switching manager and players hasn't worked, so i get the need for time, consistency and stability and if we weren't a Premiership club in the Championship, you could support that.

But under Bruce we are more like a Championship club aiming for an outside chance of a play off chance if we are lucky, I am not willing to lower my expectations to that yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Folski said:

How does he still have a job?

I was slated on here for saying he shouldn't have been on holidays during the international break, there was and still is a lot of work to be done.

Bruce is out of his depth at the moment.

Club is rotted to the core,  we need fresh ideas, not experience.

The fact he was on holiday is neither here nor there as when he's here he does nothing to suggest he's up to the job - get rid ! 

29 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Think so too. This board is always one-way, so it's really no surprise.

50 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think last night was a microcosm of Bruce's problems. Middlesborough were suddenly down to ten men four minutes after the kick off, and it was their most dangerous attacking player who was suddenly off the pitch and out of the equation.

What did Bruce do? What immediate changes did he make to our shape or personnel?

The team he picked was set up to defend, and after just four minutes that team plan became redundant. Bruce had to be pro active and change to two strikers by taking off Jedinak. Jedi wouldn't have been happy but managers are there to make the tough decisions. Bruce as usual didn't do a thing and missed a real opportunity.

Our coaching should bring an instinctive fluidity to the team. We should be able to flow from one formation to another without batting an eyelid and interchange players accordingly, but we obviously cannot. Imagine what the non stop pestering in your face energy of a player like Callum O'hare would have done to ten man Middlesborough's defence during the hour between Traore and Lansbury being sent off. They would have been on their knees.

Instead we were left with a bunch of individuals trying hard to get a goal, without knowing who was going to do what next, and even getting in each others way. 

You ask what "Steve Bruce should be doing to get us functioning the way we should" TRO. He needs to coach effectively and pick the right team while being tactically pro-active. 

Unfortunately, I think we know that is beyond him. Sadly (in my opinion) he does not have the ability to reverse the trend that his inadequacies are responsible for.

Good post VB and one i can concur with

Its a frustration I share.....I was saying exactly that in the ground.....but i suspect we can all pick a better team.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Just woke up, and the first thing I checked with excitement was to see if this excuse of a manager had been sacked... I'm going back to bed

Is your real name "Rip van Winkle":)

Â