Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

what? Let me get this straight when Steve Bruce achieves the goal of making us a top 5 team in world football?

A few things from that,  if you dont mind

1. Even those supporting him say he is just here to get us up as he is not a long term appointment

2. If he does make us a top 5 team in world football whatever would anybody want to get rid of him for ? It would be an amazing achievement.

I'm confused...I don't know who's being serious or who's being sarcastic anymore :o

18 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I'm confused...I don't know who's being serious or who's being sarcastic anymore :o

Sarcasm in Villa Talk? Sure. That will NEVER happen! ;)

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I feel comforted by his words. I think he is the comforting sort. The players will like that.

Here was me thinking they where all grown men.  Awwww bless their little cotton socks.  :D

Edited by AvfcRigo82

52 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think that's a well thought out post, and provides substance to your view.  It's hard to disagree with most of it.

A couple of points I'd highlight are - the notion of him eventually failing.  I guess ultimately every manager fails.  Even Sir Alf Ramsey lost his job eventually.  There aren't many Alex Fergusons knocking about, and in terms of clubs being left with a lacklustre squad - he certainly left United with one of those even if he managed to get one last hurrah out of them.  Mourinho, Wenger (depending who you listen to), Benitez, they've all failed somewhere.  Guardiola hasn't, but you could argue he jumps ship too easily - something else that has been voiced as a concern about Bruce.

Secondly - "a dynasty building manager like Wagner". He's been a first team manager for less than a year, and hasn't completed a full season yet.  As we're only part way through the season he could be another MON/Pocchetino type who has teams flying out of the traps and then start to stumble towards the end of the season.

As you're talking about that "type" of manager though, I absolutely see your point.  I'd love to think we can get someone in who will do just that, but football is so dynamic these days I don't know how many I could list.  It's more of an onus on the club than it is on a manager.  Whether it's Barcelona or Southampton, it's a commitment to a particular style or way of working over a period of time.

Is Bruce going to start the ball rolling on that?  Hard to say.  There's no evidence to suggest he's done that before, although most clubs have got worse after he left.  Hull seem to have the nucleus of a decent team that he's left behind there.  He's very much a man for now though.  He sorts out a mess, and we're just about the biggest mess in English football right now.  Apart from possibly Leeds and Blackpool, but they're used to it..!

I don't think our positions are too far apart. I know finding and appointing a Wagner-type is not a simple or risk free option but it is the one I personally would have gone for.

My hope is that the structure that is in place will mitigate against a very short term attitude that will leave us yet again with a squad of Hutton, Richards, Lescott-type personnel and will build something longer term.

Good luck to Bruce. I'm not a huge fan but I'm supportive and hopeful that he will have a positive impact

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

Calling Xia out as being naive when you've already decided that Bruce is a poor appointment after being in charge for a grand total of 0 games is frankly hilarious

People can have an opinion from minute 1 you know. It is possible to form an opinion straight away. Especially if you have the decency to say 'I was wrong' if indeed it's proven.

I do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Here was me thinking they where all grown men.  Awwww bless there little cotton socks.  :D

So you don't respond in different ways to different types of bosses? Those that encourage, those that shout etc etc.

Just now, Don_Simon said:

So you don't respond in different ways to different types of bosses? Those that encourage, those that shout etc etc.

If I was good enough my head would have been down and got on with the task in hand.. in this case it would be winning football matches!

Not tweeting pictures of my car, not on my arse in a street in Spain or breathing in god knows what concoction, smoking hippy crack, laughing gas, etc etc.

It's a boot up the arse they need, not wrapped in cotton wool!

19 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I can say for certain he won't give lescott another chance.

Yeah, its pretty unlikely that we will sign him from AEK, especially with his now shattered knee

Gabby - NO!!!!!
Richards - Possibly, depends on injuries and only as a last resort. Would like to see him on his bike in Jan
Hutton - See above

45 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

My hope is that the structure that is in place will mitigate against a very short term attitude that will leave us yet again with a squad of Hutton, Richards, Lescott-type personnel and will build something longer term.

That raises an interesting point.  This new structure that's in place now.  Will it be picking Bruce's players for him?  Will he pick them and they OK it?  Will he pick them and they size the budget?  Will he suggest a 'type' of player and they go off to find one? I'll be curious to see how Bruce works within it or how much or how little influence it has.  I do think you're right that in some way the structure should protect the club from any manager filling it with the wrong kind of players.  Xia was quite outspoken in the very early days about the poor contracts that he inherited, so you'd imagine one of the things very high up on Round's agenda will be that player profiles (age) etc make sense to the club aswell as on the pitch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

That raises an interesting point.  This new structure that's in place now.  Will it be picking Bruce's players for him?  Will he pick them and they OK it?  Will he pick them and they size the budget?  Will he suggest a 'type' of player and they go off to find one? I'll be curious to see how Bruce works within it or how much or how little influence it has.  I do think you're right that in some way the structure should protect the club from any manager filling it with the wrong kind of players.  Xia was quite outspoken in the very early days about the poor contracts that he inherited, so you'd imagine one of the things very high up on Round's agenda will be that player profiles (age) etc make sense to the club aswell as on the pitch.

Its all down to degree of control. I think on the whole Bruce will buy who he wants. If Round starts turning down many of the players he (Bruce) wants theres going to be some friction 

5 year deal is madness. Surely not.. for any manager. Not many managers last that long these days. I thought i read it was a 2 year deal? 5 year deal on 3 million a year? Tony Xia surely does get taken for a ride if thats the case. Spent way overs on some players too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoof hearted said:

So Bruce has signed (according to some) a 5 year contract? So she's ugly, but loaded?.....

No I think people are hypothesising (making it up) about potentially long contracts and then for some reason getting worried about it, even though they just made it up.

I think given that the stated objective of the club is to be promoted within 2 years, it's more likely that he has a 2 year contract with options for afterwards, or maybe at a stretch a straight-up 3 year contract.  None of us know.  But given the club's explicit message about drawing up sensible contracts, it would make little sense to then go and give a manager one for 5 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

No I think people are hypothesising (making it up) about potentially long contracts and then for some reason getting worried about it, even though they just made it up.

I suspect it isn't made up, but more from the Dr's Twitter - he posted 

which has led people to jump to conclusions, IMO.

• Like 1

Â