Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

2 poor appointments, unbelievably naive in the transfer market and a loose cannon on twitter.

Not sure why it's not plausible to come to a reasonable decision after 6 months.

It hasn't been 6 months. 

One appointment hasn't worked, you can't claim this one is poor yet. I don't think Xia, scouted and chose all the players, he put in a lot of money to back the team he put in place. And Twitter has nothing to do with how he is as an owner. 

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

2 poor appointments, unbelievably naive in the transfer market and a loose cannon on twitter.

Not sure why it's not plausible to come to a reasonable decision after 6 months.

List the poor signings he's made so and I'll counter it with the good ones he's made. Every manager, every one..even Ferguson signed a fair few duds.

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I have to question the judgment of giving him a 30 year contract and a brand new Lamborghini every day if true.

Hey Rob,  thanks for posting.  Yes I may question that as well but to be honest my scenario is more likely than yours isnt it and I guess yours was just PFE.

I've seen some posts of yours the last few days criticising some fans for being overly negative and that that may actually contribute to the club not performing well.  It's also clear that you and a fair few others are happy with the Buce appointment.  You know what thats fine.  I'm not going to have a go at fans or little digs or patronise just because they feel differently about the manager than I do.  As a Villa fan I hope that they are proved right,  I have my doubts and will continue to do so.  Awarding him a five year contract is one of them.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hey Rob,  thanks for posting.  Yes I may question that as well but to be honest my scenario is more likely than yours isnt it and I guess yours was just PFE.

I've seen some posts of yours the last few days criticising some fans for being overly negative and that that may actually contribute to the club not performing well.  It's also clear that you and a fair few others are happy with the Buce appointment.  You know what thats fine.  I'm not going to have a go at fans or little digs or patronise just because they feel differently about the manager than I do.  As a Villa fan I hope that they are proved right,  I have my doubts and will continue to do so.  Awarding him a five year contract is one of them.

Nope, not PFE.  I genuinely would question the judgment of a 30 year contract and a new Lambo every day if it was true.

I would question the judgment of giving any manager a 5 year contract, as outlined in your hypothetical scenario, too. It's impossible to know the position or requirements of a club (any club) so far in advance, or the performance of people hired to move things forward.  I've not seen anything to suggest that he's been given such a lengthy contract, though, so it that sense we've probably both got nothing to worry about.  What a relief!

Am I happy with the Bruce appointment?  Kind of.  I think he suits where we are right now, this minute, and if I was annoyed at anything it would be that we are where we are right now, this minute.  I've not had long held ambitions of Steve Bruce coming to Villa Park, but I'm a big believer in adapting to circumstance and that's what we've got to do here - from chairman, to fan, to Doris.

And just for the record no having a go, or little digs, or patronising are intended here.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

5 year contract aligns pretty well with the ambition to become a top 5 team in the world. When he achieves this they could look for a better manager to take us further. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

5 year contract aligns pretty well with the ambition to become a top 5 team in the world. When he achieves this they could look for a better manager to take us further. 

what? Let me get this straight when Steve Bruce achieves the goal of making us a top 5 team in world football?

A few things from that,  if you dont mind

1. Even those supporting him say he is just here to get us up as he is not a long term appointment

2. If he does make us a top 5 team in world football whatever would anybody want to get rid of him for ? It would be an amazing achievement.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I think he's a decent bloke and a solid, if uninspiring manager. To be fair to him, given the below-par midfield he has inherited he has a difficult job on his hands - that said, with even a half-competent manager at the helm from the start we should really be sitting in the top 6 already. We clearly have (most  of) the required personnel so with even a small new manager bounce I hope that we can put a run together and begin to climb the table. If we can be in the top half by Christmas, the play-offs or even automatic promotion should not be beyond us given further activity in the transfer market in January.

My problem is that whilst I don't think Bruce is a bad manager like RDM or Sherwood, my personal opinion is that he was the wrong choice for a team with ambitions beyond getting back to the premiership. Many will be happy with just getting back up and are willing to sort out things from there and I understand that thinking. But personally, I believe that if Bruce should be able to get us up, when he eventually fails (I'm not wishing or hoping for this) we will be once again left with a lack-lustre squad needing radical overhaul - a position we have been in too many times before.

There is of course no guarantee that a Wagner-type dynasty-building manager (I'm sure in world football there are dozens of candidates) would be successful, but my vote would have been for one of this type of manager who IF successful might build something to get us back eventually in the upper reaches of the Prem.

Whatever, Bruce is here now and I hope that he will be successful. I think he needs very careful monitoring in the transfer market to ensure that we build for the future rather than for the extreme short term.

I think that's a well thought out post, and provides substance to your view.  It's hard to disagree with most of it.

A couple of points I'd highlight are - the notion of him eventually failing.  I guess ultimately every manager fails.  Even Sir Alf Ramsey lost his job eventually.  There aren't many Alex Fergusons knocking about, and in terms of clubs being left with a lacklustre squad - he certainly left United with one of those even if he managed to get one last hurrah out of them.  Mourinho, Wenger (depending who you listen to), Benitez, they've all failed somewhere.  Guardiola hasn't, but you could argue he jumps ship too easily - something else that has been voiced as a concern about Bruce.

Secondly - "a dynasty building manager like Wagner". He's been a first team manager for less than a year, and hasn't completed a full season yet.  As we're only part way through the season he could be another MON/Pocchetino type who has teams flying out of the traps and then start to stumble towards the end of the season.

As you're talking about that "type" of manager though, I absolutely see your point.  I'd love to think we can get someone in who will do just that, but football is so dynamic these days I don't know how many I could list.  It's more of an onus on the club than it is on a manager.  Whether it's Barcelona or Southampton, it's a commitment to a particular style or way of working over a period of time.

Is Bruce going to start the ball rolling on that?  Hard to say.  There's no evidence to suggest he's done that before, although most clubs have got worse after he left.  Hull seem to have the nucleus of a decent team that he's left behind there.  He's very much a man for now though.  He sorts out a mess, and we're just about the biggest mess in English football right now.  Apart from possibly Leeds and Blackpool, but they're used to it..!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Secondly - "a dynasty building manager like Wagner". He's been a first team manager for less than a year, and hasn't completed a full season yet.  As we're only part way through the season he could be another MON/Pocchetino type who has teams flying out of the traps and then start to stumble towards the end of the season.

OT but I think this is likely to be the case.  Teams playing the 'gegenpress'-style over a full season have all faded towards the end in the PL - it's likely to be even more accentuated with more games to play in the Championship.  Fatigue and injury will start kicking in after Christmas for Huddersfield.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I think he's a decent bloke and a solid, if uninspiring manager. To be fair to him, given the below-par midfield he has inherited he has a difficult job on his hands - that said, with even a half-competent manager at the helm from the start we should really be sitting in the top 6 already. We clearly have (most  of) the required personnel so with even a small new manager bounce I hope that we can put a run together and begin to climb the table. If we can be in the top half by Christmas, the play-offs or even automatic promotion should not be beyond us given further activity in the transfer market in January.

My problem is that whilst I don't think Bruce is a bad manager like RDM or Sherwood, my personal opinion is that he was the wrong choice for a team with ambitions beyond getting back to the premiership. Many will be happy with just getting back up and are willing to sort out things from there and I understand that thinking. But personally, I believe that if Bruce should be able to get us up, when he eventually fails (I'm not wishing or hoping for this) we will be once again left with a lack-lustre squad needing radical overhaul - a position we have been in too many times before.

There is of course no guarantee that a Wagner-type dynasty-building manager (I'm sure in world football there are dozens of candidates) would be successful, but my vote would have been for one of this type of manager who IF successful might build something to get us back eventually in the upper reaches of the Prem.

Whatever, Bruce is here now and I hope that he will be successful. I think he needs very careful monitoring in the transfer market to ensure that we build for the future rather than for the extreme short term.

I appreciate your post, and you do provoke some interesting thoughts. What I am thinking is there may be much more to Steve Bruce than what we read or the snippets we see of him. For this reason, I am reserving my judgement until I see a few game results. If Brucie does get us up, it will result in a squad overhaul regardless. Players who were reluctant to play in the second tier may find Villa more enticing in the Premier league, especially with Tony throwing fistfuls of cash into their faces. Tony also seems quite ambitious, so he wont be another Lerner and just settle for making up the numbers in the Premier league. As for Steve Bruce, he does have his history with other clubs. He also seemed quite excited to be here, which is a nice change from the last 6 or so managers we have had. What sort of manager will he be for Villa, well, time and results will tell.

• Like 1

Â