Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

How on Earth have you concluded that David Wagner is a "dynasty-building" manager?  He's been the manager of a football club for little over a year.

Further, I don't get these criticisms of Steve Bruce in the transfer market.  What has he done previously that has been so bad?  Does he typically buy old players, too?  Seems to be a snowballing myth?

Similarly, Wagner is doing a cracking job at Huddersfield right now - but imagine the reaction to him being appointed instead of Di Matteo in the summer.  He'd just finished 19th in the Championship.  Yet, if you'd gone through this thread, you'd be forgiven for thinking he's the next Mourinho the way some people (not you) have gone on about him.

You've mis-interpreted my post as I clearly didn't say we should have hired Wagner, I said that my preference would be to hire someone of that type - the type of manager who might build something longer lasting and grow with the club. I could just as easily said a Klopp-type or a Pocchitino-type.  I clearly said within my post that there must be dozens of such candidates in world football.

As to Bruce I've already said that I think he is a decent bloke and a solid, if somewhat dull manager. In my opinion, and that of many others, one of his drawbacks is that he has a fairly average record in the transfer market, if you think otherwise thats your perogative.

As to Wagner specifically, I would have taken him over Bruce all day long, as I suspect Xia and Co would have, had he been available. We will never know now if that would have been the correct decision or not

Listening to his prezzer now, and the words removed at Sky have opened with his noses links, and followed it up with another question about the noses.  Then a question to Wyness about Steve's links to the noses.

So there's Sky's agenda on the table anyway.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Listening to his prezzer now, and the words removed at Sky have opened with his noses links, and followed it up with another question about the noses.  Then a question to Wyness about Steve's links to the noses.

So there's Sky's agenda on the table anyway.

Link

I'm actually quite pleased with this appointment. The previous club thing really doesn't bother me, the only thing I worry about in that department is how they performed during their spell at the club. I'll be honest, i've never taken much notice of his achievements as a manager up until a week or so ago but for what he does he does it well. He may never win you the prem but he knows how to get a club promoted and that's what we need right now.

We keep trying these managers which have high profile names but aren't high profile managers and I think it was time to bring in experiance and this is what Bruce gives us. I have nothing to base it on but I just have a good feeling about this one, the previous few managers always felt like we were just crossing out fingers and hoping but Bruce to me at least feels like we have something proper now.

16 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

You've mis-interpreted my post as I clearly didn't say we should have hired Wagner, I said that my preference would be to hire someone of that type - the type of manager who might build something longer lasting and grow with the club. I could just as easily said a Klopp-type or a Pocchitino-type.  I clearly said within my post that there must be dozens of such candidates in world football.

As to Bruce I've already said that I think he is a decent bloke and a solid, if somewhat dull manager. In my opinion, and that of many others, one of his drawbacks is that he has a fairly average record in the transfer market, if you think otherwise thats your perogative.

As to Wagner specifically, I would have taken him over Bruce all day long, as I suspect Xia and Co would have, had he been available. We will never know now if that would have been the correct decision or not

Your post said "a Wagner-type dynasty-building manager" - I interpreted that to mean that Wagner is a manager who would build clubs up long-term, is that not right?  Because, from his 40 odd games as a football manager, I'm not sure there's anything to suggest he does.  Similarly Pochettino isn't this type.  He's gone from strength to strength as a manager - but he's done this by moving clubs, not by staying somewhere and building it up.

As for Bruce in the transfer market, I'm just curious as to what makes you think he "needs very careful monitoring in the transfer market to ensure that we build for the future".  Does he buy old players on the whole?  What makes you think he has a fairly average record?

I think your last line is complete bollocks.  My proof behind it is that we've hired Steve Bruce and not David Wagner.

Edited by bobzy

14 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Name some. Then tell me which ones would want to take over a freefalling club at the bottom of the Championship. 

Just now, Wainy316 said:

He said he's used to being called potato head by us.

Yep, took it well and said he took it as a compliment.  That if people are slagging you then they probably like you :D 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Because, from his 40 odd games as a football manager

:rant: This is not true.  Wagner spent 4 seasons in the German Bundesliga ladder.  They put their B teams into the same league system* over there, so his experience over there cannot be discarded.  It would be like discarding all experience of managing in the English League One or Two.

* although obviously you can't be promoted into the same league as your own A team.

1 minute ago, Uncle Albert said:

Can somebody put a link to sky press conference please? i havent got sky. thanks

It's over now.  So it'll no doubt appear on twitter in due course.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Only arguably?!

That was him playing the diplomacy game :)  The only other club that could even be called big is Sunderland.

Â