Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Its all down to degree of control. I think on the whole Bruce will buy who he wants. If Round starts turning down many of the players he (Bruce) wants theres going to be some friction 

I hope that it is a little more controlled than that - if Round is, as we assume, setting the overall structure of the club, I hope he has a huge say on who comes in. It will be up to the board to manage any tensions between Bruce and Round. I would hope that Bruce has agreed to this method of working during negotiations. For me someone looking  to the long term interest of the club in transfer dealings is absolutely crucial - Bruce should not be given carte blache

Just now, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

How have people jumped to that conclusion, instead of meaning a 5th promotion? 

You'd have to ask them, that TCBR. I was just reporting where I think they jumped to their conclusion from, as there's been nothing I've seen or heard anywhere else that could explain it. Just someone grabbing the wrong end of the stick and running with it, to mix metaphors.

Just now, VillaCas said:

I hope that it is a little more controlled than that - if Round is, as we assume, setting the overall structure of the club, I hope he has a huge say on who comes in. It will be up to the board to manage any tensions between Bruce and Round. I would hope that Bruce has agreed to this method of working during negotiations. For me someone looking  to the long term interest of the club in transfer dealings is absolutely crucial - Bruce should not be given carte blache

Like I say its a question of the degree. Had we appointed Steve Clarke or Dean smith then Round would IMO be more influential on transfers. Bruce I am pretty sure will have insisted on a good level of control on transfers - so Round to a greater or lesser extent will have to take a back seat. IMO

Heard a rumour (from Pat Murphy I think) that it was round who pushed for Bruce - which surprises me. - 

Probably though with all those people we will never know who precisely does what. The only thing we do know if Brucey don't win enough games he will be out on his ear ! 

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

People can have an opinion from minute 1 you know. It is possible to form an opinion straight away. Especially if you have the decency to say 'I was wrong' if indeed it's proven.

I do.

People can of course have an opinion but if they are absolutely ridiculous then people will highlight that

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

People have taken that to mean a 5 year contract :crylaugh::crylaugh:

Yeah, IMO. They just misinterpreted one thing on twitter as meaning something else, which to be fair can happen on that internet thingy - I don't think they "made it up" so much as just misunderstood.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

The morning after the night before. I feel like the club just rolled over in bed saw who they came home with last night and thought **** me what have I done

We all need to move on Richard. It's done now and only time will tell whether it was right or not. He wasn't my idea of the right man but, without doubt, his CV says that he probably should be. We need a new manager and one that has history of getting out of this league is not one to be sniffed out, especially when he has done it so many times. I know he struggles in the Premier League but we can worry about that when (if) he gets us there.

Steve Bruce is here now and whether we like it or not we might as well try to start being positive about it and try to create a better atmosphere around the place. We can all say "we told you so" IF it all goes pear-shaped. Until then, I think that we all need to put personal feelings aside and support the man because he will only want the same as us - to get Villa back into the Premier League.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

People can of course have an opinion but if they are absolutely ridiculous then people will highlight that

It's not ridiculous to suggest that it's a poor appointment. No more ridiculous than it is saying it's a good appointment. Neither side of the argument knows at this stage.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

No I think people are hypothesising (making it up) about potentially long contracts and then for some reason getting worried about it, even though they just made it up.

In all honesty, managers can sign 35 year contracts for all I care they mean nothing, if he's shit he's gone and if the players decide they don't want to respond to whatever approach he takes towards them, he's gone.

He's on a hiding to nothing and will get my support but I am not buying her breakfast FYI!!

Just now, Woodytom said:

It's not ridiculous to suggest that it's a poor appointment. No more ridiculous than it is saying it's a good appointment. Neither side of the argument knows at this stage.

How many games has he managed us for?

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

There is of course no guarantee that a Wagner-type dynasty-building manager (I'm sure in world football there are dozens of candidates) would be successful, but my vote would have been for one of this type of manager who IF successful might build something to get us back eventually in the upper reaches of the Prem.

Whatever, Bruce is here now and I hope that he will be successful. I think he needs very careful monitoring in the transfer market to ensure that we build for the future rather than for the extreme short term.

How on Earth have you concluded that David Wagner is a "dynasty-building" manager?  He's been the manager of a football club for little over a year.

Further, I don't get these criticisms of Steve Bruce in the transfer market.  What has he done previously that has been so bad?  Does he typically buy old players, too?  Seems to be a snowballing myth?

Similarly, Wagner is doing a cracking job at Huddersfield right now - but imagine the reaction to him being appointed instead of Di Matteo in the summer.  He'd just finished 19th in the Championship.  Yet, if you'd gone through this thread, you'd be forgiven for thinking he's the next Mourinho the way some people (not you) have gone on about him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

You'd have to ask them, that TCBR. I was just reporting where I think they jumped to their conclusion from, as there's been nothing I've seen or heard anywhere else that could explain it. Just someone grabbing the wrong end of the stick and running with it, to mix metaphors.

Yeah - the sh*t end of the stick in many cases!

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Its ridiculous when some instantly think he will be a failure from the get go, but for me how can it get any worse? we are not scoring (despite having arguably the best attack force in the league), not winning, conceding goals for fun

the difference from this appoint in comparison to RDM, sherwood and garde is he is experienced far more than all three combined and has the CV to back it. We have lacked that since MON

• Like 1

Â