Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, BOF said:

On that note, do you think both sides should hold council and see how he pans out then?  Give him a chance maybe? Rather than compliment or criticise him?

Well that's not really the nature of the sport nor this forum or the world in fact. 

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

On that note, do you think both sides should hold council and see how he pans out then?  Give him a chance maybe? Rather than compliment or criticise him?

Why do that when you can whine about him at every opportunity, though?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

2 poor appointments, unbelievably naive in the transfer market and a loose cannon on twitter.

Not sure why it's not plausible to come to a reasonable decision after 6 months.

Has Dr Xia owned Villa for 6 months already? Wow, time flies!

Why has he been naïve in the transfer market? He bankrolled the signings of two of the top goalscorers in this division, last season. He spent a load of money, more so than most Championship sides have done on their whole squads. That's good business even if he had to pay over-inflated prices for some of them. But hey, it's his money so he's welcome to do so.

If, by naïve, you mean lack of signings in certain areas well, that's not down to him, is it? That is down to the previous manager and probably the reason he is no longer our manager. Should Dr Xia have intervened in what the previous manager was wanting in terms of player? No he shouldn't!

I don't mind his twittering, it is quite informative and amusing.

• Like 1

Just now, Woodytom said:

Well that's not really the nature of the sport nor this forum or the world in fact.

OK well in my opinion it is slightly ridiculous to call it a poor appointment when a manager has been promoted from this league twice in the past three seasons, and four times overall.   It may not be the ideal appointment, and he's probably not many people's number one choice.  But 'poor' ? Nah.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Let's come together for the rest of the season and re-evaluate things again in the summer?

Sorry Den that's not how the world works mate. People never come together in order to assist each other in reaching a common goal. Were you born under a rock or something?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave J said:

And therein lies the problem with this appointment. People can say what they like- but if we don't get promotion and limp along for this season - you just watch the " Bluenose" vitriol coming piling down on him and his position becomes untenable and I actually feel for him in this respect. Where would we go from here? No I will say it again the club have missed an opportunity to put down a marker and come up with a sustainable plan for the future- not the next 12-18 months we've decided to chase the big bucks come what may. I genuinely wish him well - but can't help feeling we'll all be here again in 12 -18 months time. I'm not saying he is terrible or anything of the sort- what I am saying is that in my view he is not the man to take us where most of us feel we should be.

"If" my auntie had wotsits she would be my uncle.....too many ifs ,buts and maybe's .....let it play out and see it unfold.

Dave there is nothing wrong with your theory, but is it practical? your feelings for him are noble...my view is, in light of where we are we are lucky to get him.

Its like a horse race, what is the point of planning the 10th fence when you are approaching the First.....you might not even make it.

Steve Bruce should have short, medium and Long term goals/plans......If the short terms ones are not met it is unlikely he will even get to the Medium/Long term ones.

Focus on the immediate needs ....and don't try and boil the ocean.

If he does, then the medium and Long terms ones look like they were worth planning for.

If Steve Bruce does well with us there is nothing to stop him, being with us for a long time.....its a progression we are looking for and I guess he is too.

Can you imagine him storming it, turning it all around, becoming the Mr Popular and saying "I have to go it was only short term" ....England could come calling and we could become the unhappy ones.

who knows what is going to happen.....we can only respond to it when it does.

How many times have we all took an instant dislike to someone without really knowing them.....and when you do, we change our opinion.

Steve Bruce has been at many other clubs all with different challenges.....We can only judge him properly, at ours.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

According to the official site https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/10/13/steve-bruce-first-interview

Here is his blueprint..

Steve Bruce wants to see “spirit and passion” from his new players as he looks to create a claret and blue team that supporters will be proud of.

Bruce insists that Villa have spent very well in the transfer window and have a powerful squad for the Championship.

Now the 55-year-old aims to inspire those players to great things, as he looks to help them charge up the table.

He told AVTV: “You only have to look at the squad - and the investment that the club has made - to realise we have a good group of players for the Championship. 

“I will be delighted to start work first thing today. I can’t wait to get stuck in. I am ready to go. 

“I have made my career out of one thing really and managed to get to the top – that’s basically hard work. You have to be able to work hard for me. That’s what I demand. 

“Football is a team game. How often have we seen a team – maybe not with the best individuals – but the team itself is the most important thing. 

“The ability to never give up is what I require. Everyone wants to see wonderfully skillful players but supporters want to see their team play with spirit and passion too.

“The fans are the most important people in any football club. They are a wonderfully loyal bunch here. They have had it tough over the past few years. 

“When you see that many going to Preston you realise what a big fanbase it is. 

"With that comes big expectation and I hope I can give them the team and individuals they require because we have all known throughout the years that Aston Villa has a huge, huge fanbase – as big as anybody. 

“It’s up to me and the team to get them back at it, back onside and proud of the team again.”

One thing I always look forward to with every new manager is who he spots in the youth/reserve side and brings in to the matchday squad.  You'd think given the imbalance in our midfield that Bruce would try someone like Lyden.  Hopefully there'll be some surprised in store.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sorry Den that's not how the world works mate. People never come together in order to assist each other in reaching a common goal. Were you born under a rock or something?

We have little to zero influence over reaching the goal (or what should be the goal) for Aston villa.

It doesn't matter one jit if the crowd is completely divided. It makes no difference.

I've been at villa park. I've been there when the crowd was 100% behind the team. Guess what... They were **** woeful.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's a closed group Demitri so the link won't work unless you're in it.

Brian just ask to be a member I did and it was approved instantly really.  Not an issue

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

According to the official site https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/10/13/steve-bruce-first-interview

Here is his blueprint..

“I have made my career out of one thing really and managed to get to the top – that’s basically hard work. You have to be able to work hard for me. That’s what I demand. 

“Football is a team game. How often have we seen a team – maybe not with the best individuals – but the team itself is the most important thing. 

“The ability to never give up is what I require.

I like that.

Bleedin' obvious you say ? Yes it is, but woefully missing since MON - and woefully missing for too many of the years before that.

Glad he made it such a key part of his first comment.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

We have little to zero influence over reaching the goal (or what should be the goal) for Aston villa.

It doesn't matter one jit if the crowd is completely divided. It makes no difference.

I've been at villa park. I've been there when the crowd was 100% behind the team. Guess what... They were **** woeful.

Guess what, I've been there too. 

I've noticed, several times, an increase in performance when the noise level increases. Whether that's coincidence or not, whether it has an effect every time or not, is intangible. However it's worth a try. 

To deny the psychological impact that rabid support can have on the mindset of a player would be negligent. Unfortunately, I have no statistical evidence for you so we will have to agree to disagree. 

It wasn't really the point I was making anyway. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Totally disagree, as would the vast majority of pro-footballers I would imagine. 

We have little/no influence on who owns us, who manages us, what players we sign and what tactics we play, but to suggest or actually, not suggest, you word it like it's a fact - that fans in the ground have no influence on performance is wrong. 

I don't have any stats that compare results against volume of positive noise in the stadium, but it's kind of just common sense that a full house of fans cheering and singing is better than a full house of silent fans, or half of them booing/jeering.  

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

How have people jumped to that conclusion, instead of meaning a 5th promotion? 

That makes FAR more sense!

2 hours ago, Ikantcpell said:

Is Lescott still here ??

No. we sold/gave him to AEK Athens.

Sport Football Aston Villa FC
Aston Villa could do better than Steve Bruce and players need a change of attitude, says Dwight Yorke
13:09, 13 OCT 2016 UPDATED 13:13, 13 OCT 2016

BY STEVE BATES
The former star striker says his attempts to help the club have been rejected

Enter your e-mail for our football newsletter

Sunday MirrorDwight Yorke wants to help his former club Aston Villa

Dwight Yorke has revealed he's tried to play a part helping struggling Aston Villa – but he's been ignored.

Yorke is desperate to help his former club but admits he's been underwhelmed by the arrival of Steve Bruce, insisting the club need "new ideas and aspirations" not more of the same.

Former Manchester United star Yorke is still a fans favourite at Villa after scoring 97 goals in 284 games during a nine year career at the club which ended in 1998 when he moved to Old Trafford.

"I’ve tried to get in there and one of the things I’d have brought to the table is the fact that I’ve played in that league and won the competition under Roy Keane (with Sunderland in 2006-07) as a player," says Yorke speaking exclusively to 888Sport.

“The new owner, Tony Xia, seems lively but you need someone with passion who knows the club who people can relate to, someone who can get the players running and playing as they should do.

Steve Bruce has been appointed Villa's new manager but Yorke is underwhelmed by the choice
“I’m just miffed because everyone still thinks you need managerial experience. But we’re in the 21st century and players are getting out far more educated and far more wise but no-one wants to give you an opportunity.

“From Steve Bruce’s perspective obviously he has that experience but if things go belly-up his years with Birmingham City will be challenged.

Steve Bruce vows to change Aston Villa's fortunes after replacing Roberto Di Matteo as boss
“His record though in the Championship is good but for me they need someone with new ideas and new aspirations who can drive the team forward and not that stagnant last five years.

“You get these managers who get umpteen chances then they are sacked and walk into another job.

“There are people who have taken all the badges but that opportunity is denied us. So they have gone with Steve Bruce again and that’s fine but things need to be different.”

Manchester Evening NewsYorke believes players coming out of the game can transition easier into management and should get a chance
Yorke believes the mentality of the club is wrong - and he reckons Villa's under-performing stars are being arrogant by failing to do their homework on Championship opponents.

And the former striker has accusing the club's players of still thinking they're still a Premier League side.

“I bet 100 per cent if you asked Villa players who they’re playing against they wouldn’t have a clue," says Yorke. England boss Gareth Southgate's treatment of Wayne Rooney is a "disgrace", claims Dwight Yorke

“It’s a Premier League mentality where they expect everybody to know who they are but they’re not bothered about who they are back. There is no studying so straight away the mentality is all wrong.

“It’s your duty as players to at least know the strengths and weaknesses of players you are going to come up against.

Yorke (centre) celebrates winning the Championship in 2007 with Sunderland
“Most of the players who have come out of the Premier League won’t know the players they are coming up against.

“That’s something I had to do at the age of 37 when I went to Sunderland in the Championship.

“They have to cover all these steps if they want to go the distance and teams will come to Villa Park and it’s the FA Cup for them.”

Former Birmingham midfielder Stephen Clemence to join Steve Bruce's Aston Villa coaching staff
Yorke believes Villa's stars have to stop bleating about being in the Championship – and start showing character.

“The mentality of the club is really something to be questioned from top to bottom.

“We keep hearing 'It’s a difficult league'. We know it’s a difficult league but it doesn’t mean I want my players to think it’s a league we can’t get out of. It’s a joke and I’m disappointed with them. “

Yorke has his say on this appointment

he seems to have forgotten this then

Image result for dwight yorke birmingham city

Â