Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

If they had I can't see how he's still in a job.

Preston are in a poor form. .....a home win buys him time without proving anything.

- If a replacement was in the pipeline he would have gone today

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Preston are in a poor form. .....a home win buys him time without proving anything.

- If a replacement was in the pipeline he would have gone today

Weird how there was so much buzz around Henry in the summer though, he can't have been the only name they were thinking of. Even if no approaches were made in the summer, then they must have had some ideas of who to approach if the time came.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I may be wrong but i think that is why RDM has been talked about over the last x amount of pages. 

I don't think there are many that were sad to see RDM go, rather that many of us felt early on that Bruce was also the wrong man, so it's just curiosity as why Bruce has been given an extra 90 games. 

Tbf it's not like we've been trailing along in 15th for all those 90 games. Otherwise he would have been binned. We did get to 2nd briefly! 

He needs to go now though. His chance is over. 

11 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

If our target is to be there or thereabouts, I think we'll at least be there or thereabout there or thereabouts by about the end of the season, probably. The intelligent ones amongst you will see that.

Being absolutely specific

sort of.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No board would sack a manager immediately after coming back from a goal down to get an away point against decent opposition. 

It normally follows a series of defeats - although I think one might even do it in this case. 

But what about after a draw at little ol' Bristol City?

I don't know the implications.....but when they withdrew Ron's rolling contract. he didn't hang around too long.

maybe that would be the first move, if they intended to replace SB.

32 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

If our target is to be there or thereabouts, I think we'll at least be there or thereabout there or thereabouts by about the end of the season, probably. The intelligent ones amongst you will see that.

image.jpeg.74fd325d1c814cc82a5f262256d16fe5.jpeg

I knew Saunders fell out over a contract dispute, didn’t know it was a rolling contract. I would imagine negotiating the removal of a rolling contract is slightly easier with a successful manager than one whose job is under scrutiny. 

It would be great if there’s some sort of review of the contract in October that would help us out with compensation. It would explain a few things certainly.

I doubt it though as it would have required some foresight on behalf of the owner at the time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave-R said:

We don't get that,  a run of draws yes.

I don't think the top of the table is going to be high on points this season, not like last anyway, so it may be very possible to pull a comeback off this season.

After seeing bruce like this he does need to be gone, if he can't get us in the premier league, he certainly can't keep us in it let alone make a run for the title there. We need an ace of a new manager and finding that kind of guy is going to be tough.

Come on owners Bruce needs to sort it or be gone cus I'm fed up and sick and tired of this crap now, I want the new guy installed asap so things can be underway, I'll even take Thierry Henry if I have too but would prefer JT..

I'm not saying Bruce will or won't do it but to say the season is over with  us being  6 points behind the leaders with over 75% of the games left is extremely pessimistic, Bruce has shown even with his dire football can put on a good run, but he surely must be short on time.
The stuff we are doing right now is dire and something needs to be said by the owners or the CEO. Either back him or sack him because we are going around in circles right now and it is terrible to watch.

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not sure they'd sacrifice an actual shot at promotion to the Prem in order to save £3 million.

If that is the thinking, get used to league we're in. 

I’d hope it wouldn’t stand in their way. But it’s not clear what our situation allows.

If Bruce is to be believed, we needed to shift the likes of Elphick, RDL etc out on loan in order to comply with FFP. This also is the one of the reasons we didn’t bring back Terry and his massive wages.

But being prepared to bay £6m on Bryan and apparently paying Bolasie’s massive wages instead contradicts that idea. 

I think I read somewhere (probably not accurate) that it would be £2.5m. Around £1.7m for Bruce and the remainder for his back room staff.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you make some good points Dave, and I think you are on to something..

However, the problem is, despite the disruptions, he has had nigh on 3 seasons.

If it was a tweak here or a tweak there i would have empathy, most previous posts have proved that......I have defended him.....but its like waiting for a bus thats not coming.

We have all seen enough, there is no more to see or wait for, the odd blip with a few wins maybe......but a consistent winning run with defence and attack operating in unison, is not coming......its stop, start, patchy football that is anything but cohesive, its like a fog of individual players working on their own to make it work.....like an orchestra without a conductor, who fancy having their own way to make their mark.

You are most likely rite, bruce has nothing left, nothing to show and all his hands have been dealt now.

Just something is niggling me with him though, like I think he still has something up his sleeve, maybe it's hope, I don't know.

The only thing I fear about getting rid of bruce and bringing in a new one again, is that we keep going round in this short managerial cycle that is obviously getting us know where either. We do need to settle with someone for long than a few seasons or we may well be in this league for a good long time as well. I think the only way to secure a trip back to the premier league quickly, would be to snap up someone way more expensive than bruce, even that isn't guarenteed, but maybe success certainly could lie in the inexperienced here I say let's give it a shot.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Those are fair points but most of the teams you are referring to didn’t have the budget that Villa had when being relegated. Those teams would have made cuts to star players and squads while not being able to replace those players with the same quality. Bruce has however been given the funding to do that yet the performances have been, in the main poor with the same mistakes being made.

This Villa squad should be steamrolling the Championship in the same way Newcastle and Wolves did but the difference is that those teams had good managers.

Oh yes I completely agree with you in that sense where teams coming down would have had to prioritise which players to keep, wages would of had to be trimmed, quality goes down with relegated teams and it has not with us we have gained quality if anything.

The only thing I can say is we have a team that is entirely pretty much made up from loans, but even by now the loanees should of glued together and wins should be happening. another concern is when season is done, I hope the loaners want to stay at least. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villianusa said:

I'm not saying Bruce will or won't do it but to say the season is over with  us being  6 points behind the leaders with over 75% of the games left is extremely pessimistic, Bruce has shown even with his dire football can put on a good run, but he surely must be short on time.
The stuff we are doing right now is dire and something needs to be said by the owners or the CEO. Either back him or sack him because we are going around in circles right now and it is terrible to watch.

something from the owners as to whether these current run of results is ok for them may put alot of bruce out people to rest. I mean if we all knew that Wes and Nas were sticking by him then there would be no need to shout bruce out every week if the owners are happy for a mid table season, we could just be more patient with things rather than calling for his head, obviously we would like to be pushing for promotion, but I can't see it at this rate. I would like to think he could still pull off a run, it is possible and a run yes it could put us back on track. Its that exact run that if bruce finds it and takes us all the way to PL that we will all be singing his praises but he isn't doing the business at the moment. 

Untill the owners say they're happy with the current season being mostly draws, fans will keep calling for his head and saying this season is over for us, the owners need to come and and have a say.

15 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think it’s starting to reflect on the board now, in my eyes it’s almost negligence to surrender a season after 10 games by persisting with this bloke.

Even if they aren't "persisting" with him, rather waiting until they have the right replacement lined up and/or backroom staff in place? 

What's the point in sacking SB, paying off all his staff etc if they can't currently recruit anyone capable of pushing us on? 15th or 7th (or even 3rd if we lose the playoffs again) doesn't make a jot of difference to them, to what's the point in sacking him if they can't find anyone they trust to get us promoted?

From an owners point of view there's promotion, relegation, and the in between. We won't get relegated with Bruce, so unless they can find a manager or team who they are confident will get us promoted why would they bother rushing into a decision which would cost them millions and offer no more than a cosmetic improvement? Surely the decision to wait until the manager and/or team that CAN get us promoted is in place or at least available before getting rid of Bruce makes sense? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â