Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I guess it just about sums up our club when you see the form of Traore and Adomah.....its like here we go again, it can't all be bad luck.

and I suspect a straight swap more or less.

did we have no one who had any foresight to see beyond what was in front of them......its the likes of us who would be forgiven for that, not coaches years in the business.

are ours that dim?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You are most likely rite, bruce has nothing left, nothing to show and all his hands have been dealt now.

Just something is niggling me with him though, like I think he still has something up his sleeve, maybe it's hope, I don't know.

The only thing I fear about getting rid of bruce and bringing in a new one again, is that we keep going round in this short managerial cycle that is obviously getting us know where either. We do need to settle with someone for long than a few seasons or we may well be in this league for a good long time as well. I think the only way to secure a trip back to the premier league quickly, would be to snap up someone way more expensive than bruce, even that isn't guarenteed, but maybe success certainly could lie in the inexperienced here I say let's give it a shot.

I think the main problem is in recent years all the new manager signings have in the main been desperation, no future planning.

No one seems to be available, when we cull one.

yet teams like Watford, Everton, Swansea, Leicester, don't seem to have much trouble.

We not only punch below our weight on the park, we seem punch below our weight off it.

The next manager will be very important to get right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

If they had I can't see how he's still in a job.

The owners aren't dumb, nor are they going to change manager just to appease the fan base. As some have mentioned already, until they appoint their director of football, Bruce stays.

54 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The owners aren't dumb, nor are they going to change manager just to appease the fan base. As some have mentioned already, until they appoint their director of football, Bruce stays.

Or until we are in the bottom 3, which could happen in the next few weeks. Defeat against Preston at home is not unthinkable and we always lose at Millwall so things could be about to get a lot worse.

Surely they would have to pull the trigger then?

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Or until we are in the bottom 3, which could happen in the next few weeks. Defeat against Preston at home is not unthinkable and we always lose at Millwall so things could be about to get a lot worse.

Surely they would have to pull the trigger then?

The owners are being methodical with their appointments and won't  be rushed.

I don't think it's a matter of being in the bottom 3, I believe they will be focussing on how many wins they are out of the Top 6. You could be bottom 3 and only 3 wins out of the 6. The magic number I think may be 10 points out of the 6, and every 3 games that's 1 point less. Then they may pull the trigger before the season is lost. If I was them that would be my summation, but then again if it was me Bruce would be gone....

Edited by QldVilla

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

The owners are being methodical with their appointments and won't  be rushed.

I don't think it's a matter of being in the bottom 3, I believe they will be focussing on how many wins they are out of the Top 6. You could be bottom 3 and only 3 wins out of the 6. The magic number I think may be 10 points out of the 6, and every 3 games that's 1 point less. Then they may pull the trigger before the season is lost. If I was them that would be my analogy, but then again if it was me Bruce would be gone....

Try again

I think so long as bruce isn't losing games then the draws in the owners eyes are not counting as losses, it will be just a case of let's see if Steve can bring some wins in and bring it back, there is still time for it to click in place (really Steve can only go one of two ways from these draws). I know we the fans are seeing Steve's draws as losses but the owners most likely won't be, points is points and draws still bring points in. It would take a real bad form of losses and as some suggest for us to be firmly in relegation, he certainly would deserve being head hunted then.

The last few media articles are suggesting he is doomed at Villa, but I'm not so sure Steve's time is up yet. Steve has pulled a good team together yes he should be winning the majority of games with our team and I myself think it's only a matter of time before this team clicks and really starts to move.

The only thing that we the fans can most likely say is going to happen at the moment is that  another draw is likely and you could almost 100% cash in on that bet. 

In relation to the owners- I think at the moment they have there plan, they will either wait for Bruce to become so unreliable that even draws are not coming in. They have there new candidates ready, and will take action if needed, putting there chosen man in place if it gets that bad. from the way the owners have done things so far they are holding off to wait till there maybe someone who can really do the job and snap him up ( I bet the list of manager possibilities is looking horrible at the moment). That's another thing isn't it, if we install someone, we have to get this rite for once, because as far as I'm concerned we have been doing this for far to long now that we keep bringing in mistake after mistake. Its about time that we got the best we can get after Bruce, yet the only way to make sure that happens would be to sit on Steve till it gets that bad and wait till someone from one of the other teams gets sacked or contract is up. We deserve the very best out there for the job, yet the best out there are already in a job, unless we snipe a manager which won't sit well at all.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I guess it just about sums up our club when you see the form of Traore and Adomah.....its like here we go again, it can't all be bad luck.

and I suspect a straight swap more or less.

did we have no one who had any foresight to see beyond what was in front of them......its the likes of us who would be forgiven for that, not coaches years in the business.

are ours that dim?

Slightly off topic but I recall many stati ng what a deal this was.

Only this season has Traore looked half decent, since then Adomah looked the better deal having a blinder in his 1st season here and not to bad last season.

It is only this season that Adomah has looked not that much - but to be fair that has been the case with the whole squad so far under Bruce.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, weedman said:

Even if they aren't "persisting" with him, rather waiting until they have the right replacement lined up and/or backroom staff in place? 

What's the point in sacking SB, paying off all his staff etc if they can't currently recruit anyone capable of pushing us on? 15th or 7th (or even 3rd if we lose the playoffs again) doesn't make a jot of difference to them, to what's the point in sacking him if they can't find anyone they trust to get us promoted?

From an owners point of view there's promotion, relegation, and the in between. We won't get relegated with Bruce, so unless they can find a manager or team who they are confident will get us promoted why would they bother rushing into a decision which would cost them millions and offer no more than a cosmetic improvement? Surely the decision to wait until the manager and/or team that CAN get us promoted is in place or at least available before getting rid of Bruce makes sense? 

Because it’s alienating the fan base, surely they’re better to have a game or two with understudies in charge than keep damaging the relationship. Many fans are so apathetic you’ve got Bruce out signs cropping up on random live tv events, it’s bad pr. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think so long as bruce isn't losing games then the draws in the owners eyes are not counting as losses, it will be just a case of let's see if Steve can bring some wins in and bring it back, there is still time for it to click in place (really Steve can only go one of two ways from these draws). I know we the fans are seeing Steve's draws as losses but the owners most likely won't be, points is points and draws still bring points in. It would take a real bad form of losses and as some suggest for us to be firmly in relegation, he certainly would deserve being head hunted then.

The last few media articles are suggesting he is doomed at Villa, but I'm not so sure Steve's time is up yet. Steve has pulled a good team together yes he should be winning the majority of games with our team and I myself think it's only a matter of time before this team clicks and really starts to move.

The only thing that we the fans can most likely say is going to happen at the moment is that  another draw is likely and you could almost 100% cash in on that bet. 

In relation to the owners- I think at the moment they have there plan, they will either wait for Bruce to become so unreliable that even draws are not coming in. They have there new candidates ready, and will take action if needed, putting there chosen man in place if it gets that bad. from the way the owners have done things so far they are holding off to wait till there maybe someone who can really do the job and snap him up ( I bet the list of manager possibilities is looking horrible at the moment). That's another thing isn't it, if we install someone, we have to get this rite for once, because as far as I'm concerned we have been doing this for far to long now that we keep bringing in mistake after mistake. Its about time that we got the best we can get after Bruce, yet the only way to make sure that happens would be to sit on Steve till it gets that bad and wait till someone from one of the other teams gets sacked or contract is up. We deserve the very best out there for the job, yet the best out there are already in a job, unless we snipe a manager which won't sit well at all.

I know points are points Dave, but draws just aren’t enough points to get us promoted. I agree that the owners are working to a plan and don’t want to make any rushed decisions, but the situation isn’t improving and pressure is mounting. We are averaging 1.4 points per game, to reach the holy grail of 2 points per game, we will need to average 2.17 ppg for the rest of the season. That is more or less what Wolves did last season, so highly unlikely with any manager and I’d say pretty impossible with the current one. 

Your belief that we may be about to click is possibly based on the fact that last season we did go on good runs. However those runs never felt sustainable and were invariably followed by bad runs. That doesn’t get you promoted I’m afraid. 

I think the board are looking to get the best that they can, but meanwhile the events on the pitch week in week out aren’t allowing them the luxury of time, so they may find that their hand is forced. Hopefully  they still get us the best, but on a tighter time scale than they would have liked. 

• Like 1

Bruce's "winning" strategy has been to get us into the lead and then defend it at all costs. It was ugly but effective. Trouble this season is, our defence is so poor that we find ourselves either 1) Conceding first, which means we then chase the game and leave ourselves open to the counter attack or 2) We score first but we can't defend the lead like we did in the past. 

The managers philosophy on how to win games has been destroyed by the managers failure to ensure a good enough defence. That's why he needs to go! 

• Like 2

I expect a flukey win against Preston on Tuesday, Bruce to take yet another cheap shot at the fans during post match - he will then survive the break, we will lose/draw again and he will ask for more time.. rinse and repeat. The situation isn’t really tenable. If you ask me would I get rid now even with no structure in place, absolutely I would. Wouldn’t hesitate. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the main problem is in recent years all the new manager signings have in the main been desperation, no future planning.

No one seems to be available, when we cull one.

yet teams like Watford, Everton, Swansea, Leicester, don't seem to have much trouble.

We not only punch below our weight on the park, we seem punch below our weight off it.

The next manager will be very important to get right.

.... which is why we should let the owners take their time...

The greater good demands that he goes ASAP, and if that means losing to Preston then so be it, we're on a hiding to nowhere under him and a win is only both delaying the inevitable and severely reducing our chances of going up. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â