Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would fans prefer Bruce to be sacked and Agnew in charge until we find the ideal replacement? 

Because that is what will probably happen. 

Many would argue that the most important thing is just to get Bruce out so we can start Agnew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think so long as bruce isn't losing games then the draws in the owners eyes are not counting as losses, it will be just a case of let's see if Steve can bring some wins in and bring it back, there is still time for it to click in place (really Steve can only go one of two ways from these draws). I know we the fans are seeing Steve's draws as losses but the owners most likely won't be, points is points and draws still bring points in. It would take a real bad form of losses and as some suggest for us to be firmly in relegation, he certainly would deserve being head hunted then.

The last few media articles are suggesting he is doomed at Villa, but I'm not so sure Steve's time is up yet. Steve has pulled a good team together yes he should be winning the majority of games with our team and I myself think it's only a matter of time before this team clicks and really starts to move.

The only thing that we the fans can most likely say is going to happen at the moment is that  another draw is likely and you could almost 100% cash in on that bet. 

In relation to the owners- I think at the moment they have there plan, they will either wait for Bruce to become so unreliable that even draws are not coming in. They have there new candidates ready, and will take action if needed, putting there chosen man in place if it gets that bad. from the way the owners have done things so far they are holding off to wait till there maybe someone who can really do the job and snap him up ( I bet the list of manager possibilities is looking horrible at the moment). That's another thing isn't it, if we install someone, we have to get this rite for once, because as far as I'm concerned we have been doing this for far to long now that we keep bringing in mistake after mistake. Its about time that we got the best we can get after Bruce, yet the only way to make sure that happens would be to sit on Steve till it gets that bad and wait till someone from one of the other teams gets sacked or contract is up. We deserve the very best out there for the job, yet the best out there are already in a job, unless we snipe a manager which won't sit well at all.

I dont agree with the first paragraph.

Surely the owners aim isnt for us to avoid relegation this season? Theyll have looked at the playing personnel, wages, last seasons points etc and be aiming for min playoffs?

Theyre not just thinking, oh great, another draw, another point on the board. That would be a club like Rotherhams attitude.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the main problem is in recent years all the new manager signings have in the main been desperation, no future planning.

No one seems to be available, when we cull one.

yet teams like Watford, Everton, Swansea, Leicester, don't seem to have much trouble.

We not only punch below our weight on the park, we seem punch below our weight off it.

The next manager will be very important to get right.

And to add to that we've also managed to pay these managers exuberant amounts of money, much more than the clubs around us are forced to.

If Bruce is on £3m/season then there was only 7 managers in the PL on bigger contracts when he signed for us.

And back in the day when McLeish signed he was among the 30 or so highest paid managers in the world (including National managers) I remember because I wrote an article about it back then when that list came out. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would fans prefer Bruce to be sacked and Agnew in charge until we find the ideal replacement? 

Because that is what will probably happen. 

He came in we lost to Posh then changed things up and went on a winning streak from memory. Not saying I want him to take over but I want Bruce and Calderwood gone

I think the mood has generally changed over the last couple of weeks or so. Previously a good number of People wanted Bruce to go, but only on the condition that we had a plan and a better manager lined up. Other people saw the merit in giving Bruce more time. Now I get the feeling that there are very few people who want to give Bruce more time and whilst a plan and a good replacement is the ideal scenario, a good number of people feel that Bruce is doing actual damage while he’s here and they want him gone replacement lined up or not. 

I’m still hoping that the board are working hard on a plan for the long term future and that plan is almost complete, but I fear that things could start becoming very toxic, very quickly if the performance and result are poor on Tuesday. The tick of the boardroom clock is getting louder by the minute.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Alan Nixon @reluctantnicko VILLA. Bruce may get next two games before decision made at break. Dean Smith name being mentioned and checked.

Load of Twatter shite.

Here's mine. "Bruce to go before the international break, an Henry to come in as first team coach, still in talks with Wenger as his assistant".

Any billionaire owner would look a little bit higher than Dean bloody Smith. Time and time again I have said Villa would destroy him, Brentford is his level. He is like a poor mans Lambert and look what we did to him.

You need a big manager for a big club, or else the players will call the shots. Cannot see the likes of Bolasie taking orders from a coach who used to be at Walsall not long ago.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

The owners aren't dumb, nor are they going to change manager just to appease the fan base. As some have mentioned already, until they appoint their director of football, Bruce stays.

I agree with this basic premise. However I don’t think they envisaged that we would be down to 15th at this point. Their hope being that Bruce would keep us bubbling along just in or out of the top 6, while they got things sorted. Ok points wise we aren’t cut adrift, but the now, now, now nature of football puts pressure on any football club, no matter how irrational that sometimes is. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, QldVilla said:

The owners are being methodical with their appointments and won't  be rushed.

I don't think it's a matter of being in the bottom 3, I believe they will be focussing on how many wins they are out of the Top 6. You could be bottom 3 and only 3 wins out of the 6. The magic number I think may be 10 points out of the 6, and every 3 games that's 1 point less. Then they may pull the trigger before the season is lost. If I was them that would be my summation, but then again if it was me Bruce would be gone....

No Doubt....Results are what pay the bills.....Its what brings success.

However, Performances are the tell tale sign of the  likleyhood of those precious results being feasible.

I understand the owners are more likely to act upon results as opposed to Performances, but Nous will tell you, we are procrastinating, we are floating like flotsam, waiting to drift in to the next good performance.

We are not driving, we are being driven by chance and the alignment of the factors that we hit on.

We have no idea what the owners are thinking and by the way, I don't want to see any manager lose his job for the sake of it......but I want to see an end to this turgid unconvincing offering that does not resemble team football.

I don't for one minute think Steve Bruce does not know what he is doing, that for me is absurd, but he is lost in a constant sea of change, searching for an answer to his problems...I understand his possible need to keep changing due to players having varying attributes, but continuity is central to players understanding where each other is and getting some semblance of team play....at present team play is eluding him and it cannot continue unabated.

The owners have many factors to consider and performances not just results will tell them an awful lot.....We do not need to lose or draw a significant run of matches to see the problem that we face.....We have had them and failed to address it.

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Slightly off topic but I recall many stati ng what a deal this was.

Only this season has Traore looked half decent, since then Adomah looked the better deal having a blinder in his 1st season here and not to bad last season.

It is only this season that Adomah has looked not that much - but to be fair that has been the case with the whole squad so far under Bruce.

Yeah, I am slightly off but , I was highlighting the Coaches and the managers inability to see further than the end of their nose.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah, I am slightly off but , I was highlighting the Coaches and the managers inability to see further than the end of their nose.

Yeah, that deal was IMO always likely to be short term good but long term bad, both financially and on the pitch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, romavillan said:

Weird how there was so much buzz around Henry in the summer though, he can't have been the only name they were thinking of. Even if no approaches were made in the summer, then they must have had some ideas of who to approach if the time came.

The Henry story was just invented by the mirror.

I doubt NSWE had anything to do with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, that deal was IMO always likely to be short term good but long term bad, both financially and on the pitch.

Problem is....we are short term personified, always trying to keep our head above water.....one of the factors involved in poor decision making.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

No Doubt....Results are what pay the bills.....Its what brings success.

However, Performances are the tell tale sign of the  likleyhood of those precious results being feasible.

I understand the owners are more likely to act upon results as opposed to Performances, but Nous will tell you, we are procrastinating, we are floating like flotsam, waiting to drift in to the next good performance.

We are not driving, we are being driven by chance and the alignment of the factors that we hit on.

We have no idea what the owners are thinking and by the way, I don't want to see any manager lose his job for the sake of it......but I want to see an end to this turgid unconvincing offering that does not resemble team football.

I don't for one minute think Steve Bruce does not know what he is doing, that for me is absurd, but he is lost in a constant sea of change, searching for an answer to his problems...I understand his possible need to keep changing due to players having varying attributes, but continuity is central to players understanding where each other is and getting some semblance of team play....at present team play is eluding him and it cannot continue unabated.

The owners have many factors to consider and performances not just results will tell them an awful lot.....We do not need to lose or draw a significant run of matches to see the problem that we face.....We have had them and failed to address it.

Your right. The unfortunate thing is that Bruce wants to play a certain type of football, but he isn't communicating it in a simple way that the players understand. It would seem a simple thing, but it is the difference between a good and great Manager.

52 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Load of Twatter shite.

Here's mine. "Bruce to go before the international break, an Henry to come in as first team coach, still in talks with Wenger as his assistant".

Any billionaire owner would look a little bit higher than Dean bloody Smith. Time and time again I have said Villa would destroy him, Brentford is his level. He is like a poor mans Lambert and look what we did to him.

You need a big manager for a big club, or else the players will call the shots. Cannot see the likes of Bolasie taking orders from a coach who used to be at Walsall not long ago.

Paper shite*. Nixon is a Mirror and Sun journalist who is one of few I would listen to. Has proven in the past to have links in the club and is usually a devout supporter of Bruce. If he's saying it's happening, it's probably happening. 

18 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Paper shite*. Nixon is a Mirror and Sun journalist who is one of few I would listen to. Has proven in the past to have links in the club and is usually a devout supporter of Bruce. If he's saying it's happening, it's probably happening. 

Dean Smith is not the man for the job, we need a bigger name, preferably not English.  English managers can steady the ship, but can not take us forward when we finally get Promotion.

We need to be looking for a more long term manager now we are looking to get a structure in place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Dean Smith is not the man for the job, we need a bigger name, preferably not English.  English managers can steady the ship, but can not take us forward when we finally get Promotion.

We need to be looking for a more long term manager now we are looking to get a structure in place.

Oh, I agree that I think we should be going for a bigger name in management, certainly. I was just backing up the source. 

I must admit, I'm amazed Bruce hasn't gone yet, either forced or resigned. By all accounts he was pretty annoyed about the Henry talk. If more papers run with the Smith story, maybe it'll push him over the edge? 

I'm not convinced he's waiting for the pay off. He's resigned a lot more than he's been sacked and some of those would have had tasty pay offs for him I'm sure. 

• Like 1

Â