Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

26 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I'm not convinced he's waiting for the pay off. He's resigned a lot more than he's been sacked and some of those would have had tasty pay offs for him I'm sure

You’re right he has resigned quite a few times. However probably not from such a lucrative contract and certainly not from such a prestigious job. When he goes it will be from what he has described as the job he has waited 20 years for and he probably won’t be as motivated now as he was when younger, so it could even be his last management job. 

Whilst I think the size of the pay off may be a factor, there’s a lot of professional pride also. Whatever we all think of him, he’s a pro who has been around for a while and achieved more than most as a manager. He won’t want to go out on a low, no matter how inevitable that now seems. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

Bit in paper:

IMG_20180930_114618.jpg

I'm sick to the back teeth of the sha references. No one gives a shit, we want him gone because he's out of his depth. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I'm sick to the back teeth of the sha references. No one gives a shit, we want him gone because he's out of his depth. 

But that always the case with him according to him and his media buddies.

When the Sunderland fans wanted him gone it was because of him being a "fat Geordi bastard" and a Newcastle fan and had nothing to do with them performing badly sitting at 16th and losing to bottom team Wigan at home.

He was never given a fair due...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Load of Twatter shite.

Here's mine. "Bruce to go before the international break, an Henry to come in as first team coach, still in talks with Wenger as his assistant".

Any billionaire owner would look a little bit higher than Dean bloody Smith. Time and time again I have said Villa would destroy him, Brentford is his level. He is like a poor mans Lambert and look what we did to him.

You need a big manager for a big club, or else the players will call the shots. Cannot see the likes of Bolasie taking orders from a coach who used to be at Walsall not long ago.

Understand your point but Bruce is "big" for this league. He's probably the biggest manager down here, name-wise, and perhaps physically as well.

I think the players will be invigorated by anyone with fresh ideas immediately. Certainly if they want to play football.

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Understand your point but Bruce is "big" for this league. He's probably the biggest manager down here, name-wise, and perhaps physically as well.

I think the players will be invigorated by anyone with fresh ideas immediately. Certainly if they want to play football.

He may be big for the league.  Not for the club.   However the longer we stay down here the lower the expectations and pressure will become.  We don't want that to happen.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Don't agree. It's not nationality that relevant, it's ability and approach and motivation and loads of other stuff. Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Gareth Southgate, Chris Hughton..  all English managers who have those things and a "modern" approach to managing players and to coaching and tactics etc. There are plenty of others who don't of course. Just the same as with foreign managers.

In some cases, being English is an advantage - not least in settling in, in relating to the league and the players and so on. The younger English managers now are different to the past, to the older ones, because they have to be properly qualified. Previously they almost got jobs based on playing reputation, or name recognition. It's less like that now.

But even in the past, Mercer, Saunders, Barton, Taylor, Atkinson, Little, Gregory etc. have done good or superb jobs at Villa. We've had some less good English and Scottish managers, too, obviously, but then again, for various reasons Remi Garde, Dr. Jo weren't successful. Nationality isn't and shouldn't be a factor.

Do they? dyche and houghton are good managers but I wouldnt say they have a modern aproach Southgate has been around a long time his  boro days were not that good international management is different just ask chris coleman . eddie howe has done a good job but I wonder if he could do it out of his comfort zone of  bournmouth, young exciting managers pop up as quick as they dissapear , Lambert, Sherwood  to name a few 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Do they? dyche and houghton are good managers but I wouldnt say they have a modern aproach Southgate has been around a long time his  boro days were not that good international management is different just ask chris coleman . eddie howe has done a good job but I wonder if he could do it out of his comfort zone of  bournmouth, young exciting managers (of every nationality) pop up as quick as they dissapear , Lambert, Sherwood  to name a few 

Fixed for you. Blandy’s point remains. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Don't agree. It's not nationality that relevant, it's ability and approach and motivation and loads of other stuff. Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe, Gareth Southgate, Chris Hughton..  all English managers who have those things and a "modern" approach to managing players and to coaching and tactics etc. There are plenty of others who don't of course. Just the same as with foreign managers.

In some cases, being English is an advantage - not least in settling in, in relating to the league and the players and so on. The younger English managers now are different to the past, to the older ones, because they have to be properly qualified. Previously they almost got jobs based on playing reputation, or name recognition. It's less like that now.

But even in the past, Mercer, Saunders, Barton, Taylor, Atkinson, Little, Gregory etc. have done good or superb jobs at Villa. We've had some less good English and Scottish managers, too, obviously, but then again, for various reasons Remi Garde, Dr. Jo weren't successful. Nationality isn't and shouldn't be a factor.

otherwise " all scotsman are tight"

and "all Irishmen are drunks"

and we all know those stereotypes are wrong.....I hope so, cause I am half Irish....perhaps I'm just tight.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Do they? dyche and houghton are good managers but I wouldnt say they have a modern aproach Southgate has been around a long time his  boro days were not that good international management is different just ask chris coleman . eddie howe has done a good job but I wonder if he could do it out of his comfort zone of  bournmouth, young exciting managers pop up as quick as they dissapear , Lambert, Sherwood  to name a few 

Agree here, wouldn't have Southgate manage the Villa, even though he would be a hero. For me he's is getting hyped up by the media, not at all sure he is doing a great job with England with the players he has.

Would take Dyche, big tough manager nice style, takes no shit, or Houghton all day for his style, if I we had to take an English manager. Again Dean Smith does not fit into this category for me. He could go manage a Huddersfield or brighton if he wants Premier League football, but needs a bit more for a club like the Villa, an that's not being biased..

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

otherwise " all scotsman are tight"

and "all Irishmen are drunks"

and we all know those stereotypes are wrong.....I hope so, cause I am half Irish....perhaps I'm just tight.?

Perhaps you’re half drunk TRO? ?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I have to agree with TRO in that Mendez will have a big say in the selection and unless Dean Smith has him as his agent I don't think he will be in the running.

Mendez has been involved in one transfers hasn't he? (I think the Portuguese keeper) I thought we'd moved away from the idea that he was linked with the club in any way other than as an agent who might approach us with players from time to time, like any other agent?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Perhaps you’re half drunk TRO? ?

I will be shortly, off down the "battle cruiser".....No

moderate sort of chap these days....but I had a good run in my youth....those were the days.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mendez has been involved in one transfers hasn't he? (I think the Portuguese keeper) I thought we'd moved away from the idea that he was linked with the club in any way other than as an agent who might approach us with players from time to time, like any other agent?

Also El Ghazi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s what the glass is half full of that’s the big question :)

BS

so the Mrs says and she sits next to me on match day.....no peace for the wicked.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

Â