Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If that’s the case, it makes more sense to let him go now as there’s six  days until the Bristol game. Between the Bristol game and the Preston game there’s four days.

I agree mate, the sooner the better. 

The board may agree with that aswell, i guess we'll find out in the next 48hrs, my point was more regarding the turning of the fans. We can only speculate what the board may be thinking, what is set in stone however is that once the fans have gone, the board will have no choice. 

Any intelligent supporters like to wade in on their opinion of Bruce. Wouldn't want to be biased now. Seriously though, let McDonald and Delaney take the game next Friday night and even the Preston game. Have the new man in at the next Int break.

• Like 2

If the article on the Mail website (which references a Times article) is true (and it would appear that we are going to lose too much over the 3 season spent in the championship). Then our situation is a real catch 22. We can’t afford not to sack him if we want to go up, but then again maybe we can’t afford to sack him for a  financial view unless we go up (£3M to sack him, plus whatever Calderwood and Clemence would be owed, plus whatever the next guy would earn).

I can’t see us going up with Bruce in charge, so we need to get rid, and bring someone in who can work with this team (and hope that Purslow can bring in some major sponsorship....I think the ground will absolutely be sponsored before the end of the season).

Mail article

”Aston Villa could face a points deduction next season if they are found in breach of financial rules.

According to a report in The Times, Villa could be docked 12 Championship points next season. 

It comes as rivals Birmingham City prepare to face a disciplinary panel on charges of breaking the EFL's profit and sustainability rules.

The Times claims Villa are also set to face chares for breaking the spending cap.

"Villa have posted an aggregate loss of £37.1 million during their two seasons in the second tier, giving them very little room to comply with rules that permit losses of £39 million over a three-year period before submitting their next results to the EFL in March," states the report in The Times.

The reduction in Villa's parachute payments this season from £33 million to £15 million and transfer proceeds smaller than last summer could also hinder Villa's cause.

If the breach is more than £15 million over three years then under new EFL guidelines Villa could face a 12 point deduction in the 2019-20 season.”

6 hours ago, terrytini said:

@markavfc40 I’m not frothing at the mouth...( I know you didn’t specify me !).... and am ambivalent as to whether he goes results wise....past caring to be honest he’s never going to change, the debate is never going to change.

Hell be gone when they get their own man anyway.

Im aware of Managers and their utterings.

I think this is different. He is basically either lying or deluded in his statements about selection, and is clearly having trouble emotionally.

If they don’t call a halt I’m sure it will end very messily.

Just how I see it.

As for ‘new player integration’ I think it’s hogwash. And if he DID want any understanding on that score some consistency of selection would’ve helped.

Am already at ground looking forward to the football element !

You really knew what you was writing, didn't you.

it was putrid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

When? All I could hear were the fans singing that stupid Steve Bruce song. We left a couple of minutes before the final whistle so maybe at the end?

Indeed.

Two very hearty choruses by, Id say about 30-40% of those still there ( which is a larger % than usually sing).

The important thing to bear in mind is that those who were really really dissatisfied had already gone.....it’d have been far worse if not.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I gotta be honest I admire Bruce. Having lost a parent myself the way he conducted himself last season whilst losing two parents warrants respect. Despite not knowing him I also think he is probably a decent bloke. None of that really matters though does it. I think despite trying to convince myself otherwise he is not the man to take us out of this division even though he has been given more than enough resources to do so.

For stabilising the ship I thank him. It is clear though he has taken us as far as he can and someone can do far better with what is one of the best squads in this league. I wish him well but he has to go. 

I'd admire him even more if he resigned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Despite not knowing him I also think he is probably a decent bloke. 

According to reports and people in the know he is a decent bloke. He sure doesn't come across that way in interviews though. With his refusal to accept responsibility, constant sniping at "unintelligent" fans and aggression towards any form of personal criticism. 

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Id love to see a behind the scenes documentary at Villa like they have done at Man City. You'd probably mistake it for a James Corden comedy sketch.

You can get it on DVD already, it's called "Mike Bassett: England Manager"

*They had to change Steve Bruces name for legal purposes

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

According to reports and people in the know he is a decent bloke. He sure doesn't come across that way in interviews though. With his refusal to accept responsibility, constant sniping at "unintelligent" fans and aggression towards any form of personal criticism. 

I don't think any of that really matters either way does it. Bottom line is two years from his arrival results and performances aren't good enough despite being given the resources to assemble one of the best squads in the league. For that reason he has to go. Anything else we want to have a pop at him for is just a side show.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, dukes said:

If the article on the Mail website (which references a Times article) is true (and it would appear that we are going to lose too much over the 3 season spent in the championship). Then our situation is a real catch 22. We can’t afford not to sack him if we want to go up, but then again maybe we can’t afford to sack him for a  financial view unless we go up (£3M to sack him, plus whatever Calderwood and Clemence would be owed, plus whatever the next guy would earn).

I can’t see us going up with Bruce in charge, so we need to get rid, and bring someone in who can work with this team (and hope that Purslow can bring in some major sponsorship....I think the ground will absolutely be sponsored before the end of the season).

Mail article

”Aston Villa could face a points deduction next season if they are found in breach of financial rules.

According to a report in The Times, Villa could be docked 12 Championship points next season. 

It comes as rivals Birmingham City prepare to face a disciplinary panel on charges of breaking the EFL's profit and sustainability rules.

The Times claims Villa are also set to face chares for breaking the spending cap.

"Villa have posted an aggregate loss of £37.1 million during their two seasons in the second tier, giving them very little room to comply with rules that permit losses of £39 million over a three-year period before submitting their next results to the EFL in March," states the report in The Times.

The reduction in Villa's parachute payments this season from £33 million to £15 million and transfer proceeds smaller than last summer could also hinder Villa's cause.

If the breach is more than £15 million over three years then under new EFL guidelines Villa could face a 12 point deduction in the 2019-20 season.”

Cross that bridge when we come to it ay, as it stands with the squad we have a talented manager might squeeze 12 points more out of a season than Bruce could anyway. It's a big handicap but I'd back us for playoffs at least if we can improve on Bruce.

We could also still do something THIS season if we bite the bullet now.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Cross that bridge when we come to it ay, as it stands with the squad we have a talented manager might squeeze 12 points more out of a season than Bruce could anyway. It's a big handicap but I'd back us for playoffs at least if we can improve on Bruce.

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The club should sack him and then start the search. 

Edit: Agnew can manage in the mean time.

I’d hope they already have a new man lined up and that Bruce and his coaching team all go together - I don’t want Agnew here for even one game - thinks situation has been coming and I’m  sure the owners and purslow would have a good idea who will replace Bruce and very swiftly too 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The point is the article says “could be deducted 12 points”. Journalists always go for extremes as it sells papers. Wait until they actually try to hit us with something draconian and then see what our big and very expensive lawyers have to say. 

• Like 1

1 win in 8.   I don't think it's too arrogant to expect more from a club and team of our size and stature.  It's a piss poor league this year and am surprised that we're only 5 points behind the leaders.  I said earlier, I don't dislike the manager and can see why he started the season with us, but enough is enough now.  I don't expect him to resign, so we must act now and salvage our promotion hopes.  Who, I'm not sure?   Thanks for your contribution Steve, now move aside and let someone take us forward. 

• Like 2

Â