Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Not true, the amount of backing he gets inside VP is still amazing. In a way, it makes me proud...he really does have no ground to complain. His name still gets chanted. I sit right hext to the dugout and in 2 years have heard 2 people have a little pop at him in that time. He really cannot and shouldn't dare complain.

So shut the **** up, stop the excuses and do.your job.

You need to get yourself to the back of the Holte then mate, there's obviously some kind of sound dampening going on around the dug (Bruce) out area! 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I hope we don't play two up top.

Nearly every time we've tried it we've been poor. Even last night I wasn't convinced the change in formation particularly suited us, despite the result and decent performance.

I don't think there's anything wrong with our usual formation to be honest. We're too negative at times and the defensive uncertainty has cost us this season.
It's more the approach that needs to be changed, not the formation. Two up front doesn't automatically make you more attacking. It depends on how you play

I agree with that on the whole. I think we can do it on occasion - it not having worked previously doesn’t mean it can’t work now. 

But you are dead right - it’s the approach that matters - particularly, in Bruce’s case, for me, the amount of threatening players ( allowed to be so) and defensive players.

Could play none up top and still be effective, or play four and still be sterile.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree with that on the whole. I think we can do it on occasion - it not having worked previously doesn’t mean it can’t work now. 

But you are dead right - it’s the approach that matters - particularly, in Bruce’s case, for me, the amount of threatening players ( allowed to be so) and defensive players.

Could play none up top and still be effective, or play four and still be sterile.

Yep exactly this.

It's why I got annoyed last season particularly when people would scream for us to play another striker, or moan that bringing, say, a midfielder on when we're chasing a game wasn't attacking enough. 

We could go all Paul Lambert and just sub every striker we have on but the team would collapse.

One of Abraham/Kodjia up front, with Bolasie, El Ghazi/Adomah, Grealish, McGinn/Hourihane playing behind them or wide of them should be SO attacking. It's the approach and cohesion that we're lacking at the moment.

You're absolutely right though. 2 up front should and could be an option for us at times. I just don't see it as a default change.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I wanted him replaced when we lost the play off final.

I was backing the option of keeping him in the summer, but that was entirely because of the financial abyss we were staring into. My reasoning was that if we were going to have a squad decimated by a firesale then no manager would want to come here so keeping Bruce in that situation might have been a good option.
If the new owners had taken over in May then I would have been 100% backing Bruce to be sacked.

I've consistently said all summer that if a good replacement is available then he should go.

People on here often confuse defending Bruce on anything with wanting him to stay, such is the binary nature of VillaTalk. People can't bear to hear anything positive about the manager in case it somehow weakens their Bruce Out stance.

I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't think Bruce is a terrible manager, does think he does some things right; but doesn't think he's done well enough here and doesn't want him as our manager any more.

I think through our passion and love for our club there is some confusion, some people are in this group but may come across as not fitting in.

It's a good post Steveo

Edited by Villan_of_oz

It should be worth noting, that my most successful formation with Villa in recent football manager editions has been 4-3-1-2.

Would be perfect for us ?

Just have shoehorn Bolassie in there somewhere, over to you Mr. Bruce

Edited by Villan_of_oz

7 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It should be worth noting, that my most successful formation with Villa in recent football manager editions has been 4-3-1-2.

Would be perfect for us ?

Just have shoehorn Bolassie in there somewhere, over to you Mr. Bruce

Wouldn't work under Bruce i'm afraid. No width. No crossing. No plan.

“Sadly, none of those promotions were here.”

Well technically that’s true, but this isn’t about Aston Villa, this is all about Steve Bruce, the greatest manager in Championship history. There’s going to be a book, a TV series, there’s even talk of a Hollywood blockbuster.

The merchandising alone could be worth millions, with little, well not that little obviously, Stevie dolls that will talk when you rub their belly. They’ll say things like, “Put your boots on lads”,  “That should shut a few up” and “Large chips with the kebab”. You’ll be able to get them in Sunderland, Wigan and Hull kits. The marketing boys advised not to bother with SHA as the market was too small. They won’t be doing them in Villa kits either, well you can’t expect too much can you?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Aside from being a pretty poor manager, he is an absolute moron. I remember in never mind the buzzocks, Donny Tourette trying to make fun of Bill Bailey to a response of "He's a professional comedian....you won't win."

Steve, for your own sake, just shut your **** mouth. You are taking on 100 years of history, thousands of fans, media, former players, owners. You're a run of the mill Championship manager.

You.

Won't

Win.

Aside from the fact that he will most certainly win, no matter what happens, because he’s very much in a win/win situation.

It’s a sad indictment of football that blokes like Steve Bruce cannot lose, really, because they can ride the managerial merry go round and make a living out of it. 

If he continues as our manager then a group of angry Villa fans will despise every moment of every minute of our matches. They will continue to post constantly in anger and frustration on a message board because that’s all they have. Meanwhile, he’s in the highest profile job he’s ever had, getting the largest salary he’s ever earned.

If he gets us promoted or gets us close, he’ll probably continue as our manager. And the cycle of anger and frustration continues.

If not, he gets sacked, and I suppose the fans could claim a ‘win’ in what’s nothing more than a hollow victory, whilst Steve Bruce walks away with a hefty pay off and a bank account further swelled by his extremely lucrative time here. And then he jumps back on the merry go round. 

Modern football: the only industry you can be crap and still be a winner. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

“Sadly, none of those promotions were here.”

Well technically that’s true, but this isn’t about Aston Villa, this is all about Steve Bruce, the greatest manager in Championship history. There’s going to be a book, a TV series, there’s even talk of a Hollywood blockbuster.

The merchandising alone could be worth millions, with little, well not that little obviously, Stevie dolls that will talk when you rub their belly. They’ll say things like, “Put your boots on lads”,  “That should shut a few up” and “Large chips with the kebab”. You’ll be able to get them in Sunderland, Wigan and Hull kits. The marketing boys advised not to bother with SHA as the market was too small. They won’t be doing them in Villa kits either, well you can’t expect too much can you?

I believe there has already been a book?

Â