Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So we need a good ref in order to win home against Brentford?

No, but the ref impacted the game, it was blatant. Booking our players whilst the Brentford players got away with murder. 

Two frustrating errors and one ref cost us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Credit where it’s due tonight. Really don’t want Bruce as manager and one performance will not change my mind, however, that was much, much better. 

Although the selection suggested a default containment strategy by SB, we had a good high line, impressive pressing and at times some excellent football. Quality from wide areas in open play still lacking but that is equally as much to do with lack of bodies in the box. 

2nd half never really hit the heights of the first and clearly that needs to change for us to stay in the mix. Defence still unsteady and over a 90 min game natural weaknesses of players playing out of position will come to the fore; defence really needs work but with 2 loan slots left in future matchday squads once Bolasie comes in do we sacrifice a Tammy Abraham for a LB and a CB or just focus on getting a striker and CB - keep the spine solid?

Overall, though, much better tonight.....now, will Bruce continue with this or will his in-built safety first approach rear its ugly head again? Time will tell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s funny but for me, after that game, I’m done. How can you have that much possession and have barely any shots on goal??? Brentford are clearly not that good at all, despite all their hype. Frankly, they actually look pretty crap. All of our players are better than theirs position for position and yet they came so so close to beating us? We have a class team of players well above this division. Week in, week out we play against players so below our standard. We should be absolutely storming this league.

I was supporting Bruce until today but I’m over it now. This is NOT a good league. The standard is NOT good. In fact, it’s pretty terrible and 20 of these teams should be nowhere near the premier league and if they do go up they’d immediately go back down. We have spent a fortune building this squad and it is actually a great squad with a lot of premier league experience. I mean even the likes of Hutton, Elmo and Whelan have PL experience that other Championship teams can only dream of. And yet we scrap by. It’s not enough. The right man (whoever that might be) would make this team walk this league.

Spoony, I loved the game!

We were very good tonight, losing that would have been gutting. We say it so many times after a good performance but if we played like that most weeks I don't think many of us would complain. 

I really think El Ghazi and Bolasie on the wings could take our attacking game up a level. Look how often we go down the sides but lack any real quality. The 2 new wingers should seriously improve us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

It’s funny but for me, after that game, I’m done. How can you have that much possession and have barely any shots on goal??? Brentford are clearly not that good at all, despite all their hype. Frankly, they actually look pretty crap. All of our players are better than theirs position for position and yet they came so so close to beating us? We have a class team of players well above this division. Week in, week out we play against players so below our standard. We should be absolutely storming this league.

I was supporting Bruce until today but I’m over it now. This is NOT a good league. The standard is NOT good. In fact, it’s pretty terrible and 20 of these teams should be nowhere near the premier league and if they do go up they’d immediately go back down. We have spent a fortune building this squad and it is actually a great squad with a lot of premier league experience. I mean even the likes of Hutton, Elmo and Whelan have PL experience that other Championship teams can only dream of. And yet we scrap by. It’s not enough. The right man (whoever that might be) would make this team walk this league.

Interesting post. Even though I am happy with today's performance, it does make you think, could getting a decent manager in help us piss this league. I do believe we have the quality, Wolves game last season was a turning point for me, it showed the team had it in them, an proved the manager lost us promotion, by not being able to motivate the team to be consistant.

4 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

That is one of the most insane things I've read on here and that's says a lot. 

It does seem I’m in the minority here. I found that game incredibly frustrating. A lot of it comes down to Brentford supposedly being this great team managed by this great manager but actually they look pretty dire. We should be tearing them apart at home. A last minute 2-2 is not good enough for promotion. We have somehow managed to make ‘goalkeeper’ one of the weakest positions on the pitch when it’s one of the easiest to fill for a club of our stature (i.e. any decent championship goalkeeper would move to us and would do). We had all that possession and played attacking football - great - but how many clear cut chances did we actually create against a pretty average team???

I’ve not said it before, but we are never going up under this man.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

But I thought Steve Bruce couldn't produce that sort of football at all, he's a route one dinosaur, remember? You're wrong again tonight, Jim.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer!

History tells us this. How many false dawns did we have last year? If I see it consistently then I’ll eat crow happily. I know I won’t. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

But I thought Steve Bruce couldn't produce that sort of football at all, he's a route one dinosaur, remember? You're wrong again tonight, Jim.

We see this sort of football maybe 2/3 times a season. It isn't the default. The default is defensive and cautious. 

Fingers crossed this is the new Steve Bruce.

• Like 3

I really don't know what to think about tonight. We played well for large parts of the game, and it's not entirely wrong to argue we deserved a win. Then again, we still needed a lucky 95 minute equalizer to salvage a draw. Can't fault Bruce too much though, apart from yet again playing Jedinak at CB. 

One can only hope this performance is more a sign of things to come, than just a rare one-off coincidence.

Most attacking performance of the season so far against a team many were likening to Barcelona & saying we would be torn to pieces.

Averaging 2 points per game & scoring more than 2 goals per game, Undefeated & still gets slaughtered...

Bunch of miserable cnuts

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

People were calling fir excite ell they got it tonight. Despite the poor play in aspects of the game was a very exciting game.

the defence will cost us promotion no question if we don’t sort this out. We are looking dreadful at the back. When we go up against the better sides like Leeds and est Brom they will murder us if we defend like that

• Like 1

Ah lads the amount of time a player deep in their own half booted the ball under minimal if any pressure. 

Look at the positions, how many were wrong? If I'm Hourihane, what am I thinking seeing Whelan on the pitch?

Â