Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think he would have looked for minority investment and tried to retain majority control. He may well have succeeded in that, as the PL is a totally different investment opportunity in comparison to the EFL. The attraction of a turnover of between 117 million (Hull lowest) to 581 million (Man U highest) would have been too magnetic for Xia to walk away from! I wonder whether he would have retained the services of Steve Bruce if we had been promoted?

That is entirely possible, but I still think he was looking to make a quick buck and sell up.

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That’s some revisionist bs right there. 

We had a lackluster 1st half and they managed to exploit Albert and Hutton both falling asleep at the same time.

2nd half we were all over them, even the commentators were saying that it was only a matter of time before we scored because the goal was coming.  Then the Fulham lad was sent off and they stopped playing football. For the last 20 minutes they turned it into a time wasting exercise. They used every trick in the book to stop our momentum and it worked.

However if the referee had actually done his job and sent off their player for what seemed to me and everyone around me a potentially career ending stamp on Grealishes knee then we would be in the PL.

Revisionism schmismism. We were the worst thing I'd ever seed and I've been to Doncaster. Narcoleptic players? Ship 'em out I say.

Don't listen to commentators mate, especially in America, probably telling you we were shooting form the 15zone or something. And we couldn't kick the ball in the net. Criminal. bring back hanging I say.

Referees jobbie? there's some revisionism right there mate I don't mind telling you. Can't even spell Gresford right you obviously are fick like Bruce innit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

When we look back on the "Bruce era" the irony may well be that his negative set up in the first half of the play off final against Fulham, will have been his most positive contribution to the rebuilding of the Villa team and our future.

If we had won and been promoted, Xia may have been able to raise just enough cash against Villa's assets to hang on month by month, because of guaranteed Premier League cash on the horizon.

I'd rather be where we are now than face that scenario.

So, erm thank you Steve. Now don't do it again!

"every cloud has silver lining"

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Who would you want?

I've won 16 Eredivisie titles in a row with VVV Venlo on FM 2017 and won 7 out of the last 8 CLs too.

Give me a shot?  Please?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Hmmmm, when the target (stated by the man himself) was automatic. Then put out a team devoid of any motivation or tactics in that most important of games. So yes, failed.

No, I wouldn't have preferred Henry. But that doesn't mean I want Bruce.

Oh he failed alright twice on the spin actually imo 

11 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Haha. Ok. 

Only that containment is a plan whether you enjoy it or not (I certainly don't enjoy it, but I live in Madrid and I've seen enough of Atletico to have come round to the fact that it's a tactic as much as anything. Also reminds me of the MON days). I'd like to say here that I absolutely agree with everyone who wants to see Villa try a different way of playing, but this containing, countery style of football has been our way, boringly, for as long as I can remember bar a couple of attempts to change it (Houllier for example). Against possession teams we've either got nailed (thrashings by Southampton and Arsenal spring to mind) or we do the whole remain tight, let them have possession and restrict chances, then counter, and we've had some of our more memorable results that way. 100% that is a style of football and a tactic and it's as legitimate as any other, if **** boring. I don't call the first half inept—it was exactly that game plan. We conceded though, so it didn't work that time.

I didn't like it but I can see what we were trying to do.  

We never looked like scoring, but then Fulham aren't totally shit as proven by their almost half-year-long unbeaten run. They played a massive part in the game too. Ultimately, the play off final was shit, boring, uninspiring. Ultimately, I'd be up for a change in tactics. Are we going to get it this season? I doubt it. Regardless, can we improve on a losing playoff final this season? I think so. Some transfers will help. 

I don’t disagree that counter attacking football is a very effective tactic when done well. Leicester won the league doing it. The problem with us was that we tried to do it with a team that lacked real pace. We lack pace all over the pitch and don’t turn defence into attack quickly enough. Allied to this lack of physical speed, I feel we also lack in speed of thought. We don’t have enough players with nous. 

I believe also this lack of smart thinking has been endemic throughout the club, on and off the pitch, for years. Hopefully the new owners can remedy this. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t disagree that counter attacking football is a very effective tactic when done well. Leicester won the league doing it. The problem with us was that we tried to do it with a team that lacked real pace. We lack pace all over the pitch and don’t turn defence into attack quickly enough. Allied to this lack of physical speed, I feel we also lack in speed of thought. We don’t have enough players with nous. 

I believe also this lack of smart thinking has been endemic throughout the club, on and off the pitch, for years. Hopefully the new owners can remedy this. 

Top post mate, couldn’t agree more. Football today is all about power and pace, especially the Champ. At this moment in time, our squad lacks both and that is a real concern. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

Tbh I thought he was totally boring - I didn't enjoy his tenure one jot 

The final against Chelsea. It was worse than the play - off, and when you consider some of the the players in our side that day. Shocking performance.

31 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The final against Chelsea. It was worse than the play - off, and when you consider some of the the players in our side that day. Shocking performance.

That Chelsea final, the FA Cup under Sherwood, playoff last season. We've had some shocking showings in Wembley finals over the past 20 years.

Probably only the league cup final under MON can we say we did ourselves proud, and we still lost!

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I truly feel for you young lads. The 1994 and 1996 League Cup finals we’re both wonderful. There are some advantages to being an old (ish) git!

Oh I remember both of those. I was just saying since 1996 we really haven't had much to shout about. Not just in terms of not winning anything, but in terms of having the chance and then just not turning up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I truly feel for you young lads. The 1994 and 1996 League Cup finals we’re both wonderful. There are some advantages to being an old (ish) git!

Remember those games like they were yesterday. Dalians goal in 94 felt like it took 2 weeks to cross the line. Even when I watch it now I'm on the edge of my seat willing the ball into the net. 

• Like 3

Steve has to change his mind set if he wants to keep his job. Our current defence isn't going to be as tight as last season (unless he reverts to playing both Jedinak and Whelan). 

Our goal scoring will be reduced as it stands by the lack of both Snodgrass and Grabban.

We have to be more positive and get in other teams faces. We have to try and win every match, instead of trying not to lose.

Steve needs to take the shackles off, and tell our players that their job is just to score more goals than they concede.

We have 19 winnable games between now and the end of November, before we play three difficult matches.

Steve's message to the players should be "We fear no one, bring it on"!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Steve has to change his mind set if he wants to keep his job. Our current defence isn't going to be as tight as last season (unless he reverts to playing both Jedinak and Whelan). 

Our goal scoring will be reduced as it stands by the lack of both Snodgrass and Grabban.

We have to be more positive and get in other teams faces. We have to try and win every match, instead of trying not to lose.

Steve needs to take the shackles off, and tell our players that their job is just to score more goals than they concede.

We have 19 winnable games between now and the end of November, before we play three difficult matches.

Steve's message to the players should be "We fear no one, bring it on"!

The first 10 minutes at Hull will soon cure you. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â