Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

If we make 3 or 4 exciting loan signings between now and the Hull game and Bruce sets up "not to lose", with the usual suspects involved, then it confirms nothing will change and Bruce is a nincompoop of the n'th degree with absolutely zero attacking nouse or intention. A long old season ahead beckons methinks.

Those are my final thoughts in this thread as he doesn't deserve 2000 pages.

If that happens the new owners will identify that pretty quickly.

35 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't recall a shot on target . 

"An exciting life " ?   When I do fill the void, it's not with a comic book. 

To be fair to this analysis—they pretty much had just one too. It wasn't a final full of chances. They had been a good, attacking possession team and we nullified them bar the goal—it's not necessarily a bad move considering the way Fulham had been playing for half a season. One moment of good play by them got a goal and we just didn't manage to match that (though Jack came close).

I'd have said the final was close—appreciating that there were two very different styles. I'd say it was close as neither team had many real chances. For however much possession they had at the beginning they weren't doing much with it. 

It was still shit though. And for the record, I'd definitely appreciate watching Aston Villa being a lot more on the front foot. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

To be fair to this analysis—they pretty much had just one too. It wasn't a final full of chances. They had been a good, attacking possession team and we nullified them bar the goal—it's not necessarily a bad move considering the way Fulham had been playing for half a season. One moment of good play by them got a goal and we just didn't manage to match that (though Jack came close). 

Even with our second half fight back, it became too frantic and lacked poise. When they scored, I got that feeling, that no matter what, we was not going to equalise, and so it proved. You can not justify that inept first half performance .

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He took us to a play off final one game away.

i guess you would have preferred Henry?

Hmmmm, when the target (stated by the man himself) was automatic. Then put out a team devoid of any motivation or tactics in that most important of games. So yes, failed.

No, I wouldn't have preferred Henry. But that doesn't mean I want Bruce.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wow man give it a rest, it's been and gone, shit happened and will happen again, it's football. 

And yet, the positive stuff that happened (like four promotions) aren't forgotten and are in fact the main crux of the argument. You can't forget the shit from the past and then champion the positives from the past. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Well getting on for half of these years he was managing in the premier league and you can’t get promoted from that league.

Even a dog in a suit knows that.

And even a dog in a suit would have noticed his teams getting relegated back down from the premiership. So glad he built something sustainable with those teams. :crylaugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Even with our second half fight back, it became too frantic and lacked poise. When they scored, I got that feeling, that no matter what, we was not going to equalise, and so it proved. You can not justify that inept first half performance .

Haha. Ok. 

Only that containment is a plan whether you enjoy it or not (I certainly don't enjoy it, but I live in Madrid and I've seen enough of Atletico to have come round to the fact that it's a tactic as much as anything. Also reminds me of the MON days). I'd like to say here that I absolutely agree with everyone who wants to see Villa try a different way of playing, but this containing, countery style of football has been our way, boringly, for as long as I can remember bar a couple of attempts to change it (Houllier for example). Against possession teams we've either got nailed (thrashings by Southampton and Arsenal spring to mind) or we do the whole remain tight, let them have possession and restrict chances, then counter, and we've had some of our more memorable results that way. 100% that is a style of football and a tactic and it's as legitimate as any other, if **** boring. I don't call the first half inept—it was exactly that game plan. We conceded though, so it didn't work that time.

I didn't like it but I can see what we were trying to do.  

We never looked like scoring, but then Fulham aren't totally shit as proven by their almost half-year-long unbeaten run. They played a massive part in the game too. Ultimately, the play off final was shit, boring, uninspiring. Ultimately, I'd be up for a change in tactics. Are we going to get it this season? I doubt it. Regardless, can we improve on a losing playoff final this season? I think so. Some transfers will help. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Haha. Ok. 

Only that containment is a plan whether you enjoy it or not (I certainly don't enjoy it, but I live in Madrid and I've seen enough of Atletico to have come round to the fact that it's a tactic as much as anything. Also reminds me of the MON days). I'd like to say here that I absolutely agree with everyone who wants to see Villa try a different way of playing, but this containing, countery style of football has been our way, boringly, for as long as I can remember bar a couple of attempts to change it (Houllier for example). Against possession teams we've either got nailed (thrashings by Southampton and Arsenal spring to mind) or we do the whole remain tight, let them have possession and restrict chances, then counter, and we've had some of our more memorable results that way. 100% that is a style of football and a tactic and it's as legitimate as any other, if **** boring. I don't call the first half inept—it was exactly that game plan. We conceded though, so it didn't work that time.

I didn't like it but I can see what'd we were trying to do.  

We never looked like scoring, but then Fulham aren't totally shit as proven by their almost half-year-long unbeaten run. They played a massive part in the game too. Ultimately, the play off final was shit, boring, uninspiring. Ultimately, I'd be up for a change in tactics. Are we going to get it this season? I doubt it. Regardless, can we improve on a losing playoff final this season? I think so. Some transfers will help. 

I really don't think Fulham were worthy of the respect we gave them. We should of been on the front foot from the off, just like against Wolves, that game didn't turn out too bad for us. Fortune favors the brave and all that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I really don't think Fulham were worthy of the respect we gave them. We should of been on the front foot from the off, just like against Wolves, that game didn't turn out too bad for us. Fortune favors the brave and all that.

I do actually agree with that sheepy....don't know about the worthy of respect, but we should have gone after them from the off.

I also get containing.....but there is a time for that as they proved in the second half.

we did it arse about face.

However, i think we should look to the future now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Its the future I am worried about ?

I think we have people now, who should reassure us about that.

it maybe won't happen in 5 minutes.....but i think they are " go getters"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'd argue that we did the same against wolves only that our breaks were that much more effective. Up to the second half of that game there's no way you'd have predicted the eventual outcome. 

Do you not think it's a bit arrogant to say that about Fulham though? They'd lost one game since December. I'd say there was some case that we should not have taken them lightly just because we think we're The Biggest Club in The League. 

• Like 1

This was unforgivable and doesn’t get mentioned enough:

4CA6F27B00000578-0-image-a-6_15273556496

Remember the shithead’s face and aggression before doing it, totally premeditated. Absolutely disgraceful & disgusting! Such an injustice.

And the b****** gets promoted and gets a move to West Ham, it’s a miracle that Jack wasn’t severely injured either.

Anyway, actually looking forward to the season now since disaster has been averted, regardless of my feelings on Bruce. It’s time to be optimistic.

Go and tear this league up Jack!!!

• Like 2

When we look back on the "Bruce era" the irony may well be that his negative set up in the first half of the play off final against Fulham, will have been his most positive contribution to the rebuilding of the Villa team and our future.

If we had won and been promoted, Xia may have been able to raise just enough cash against Villa's assets to hang on month by month, because of guaranteed Premier League cash on the horizon.

I'd rather be where we are now than face that scenario.

So, erm thank you Steve. Now don't do it again!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

When we look back on the "Bruce era" the irony may well be that his negative set up in the first half of the play off final against Fulham, will have been his most positive contribution to the rebuilding of the Villa team and our future.

If we had won and been promoted, Xia may have been able to raise just enough cash against Villa's assets to hang on month by month, because of guaranteed Premier League cash on the horizon.

It's a funny ol' game innit

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Think his plan was always to sell it asap once we got promoted and make a quick buck.

Not sure what the valuation would have been had we gotten promoted but a lot higher I wager.

Think we would have been sold either way, but who the new owners in that scenario would have been is any ones guess.

Even with what seem like good new owners (fingers crossed) I'd much rather be in the PL now.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Hmmmm, when the target (stated by the man himself) was automatic. Then put out a team devoid of any motivation or tactics in that most important of games. So yes, failed.

No, I wouldn't have preferred Henry. But that doesn't mean I want Bruce.

Who would you want?

1 minute ago, sne said:

Think his plan was always to sell it asap once we got promoted and make a quick buck.

Not sure what the valuation would have been had we gotten promoted but a lot higher I wager.

Think we would have been sold either way, but who the new owners in that scenario would have been is any ones guess.

I think he would have looked for minority investment and tried to retain majority control. He may well have succeeded in that, as the PL is a totally different investment opportunity in comparison to the EFL. The attraction of a turnover of between 117 million (Hull lowest) to 581 million (Man U highest) would have been too magnetic for Xia to walk away from! I wonder whether he would have retained the services of Steve Bruce if we had been promoted?

Â