Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

you mean like give him a year's notice now?

We could possibly have done.... "Here you go Steve, here is a year's notice per the terms of your contract. If you get us promoted, you can leave with your head held high - "mutually agreed" or if you do really well we offer you a new contract. "

Also then if we decide to sack him during the season then the payout will be less as it would be compensation for the time remaining on his notice period. 

They may have privately told SB that the post of manager will cease in twelve months time and a head coach will be appointed at that time on a two year fixed contract.

That would enable them to implement 1 years notice on his rolling contract.

2 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

I was just thinking about this myself. Presumably it's similar to what Arsenal did to Wenger? He'd need a couple of months notice. 

Exactly, just kind of seems bizarre that no matter whether he spectacularly fails or not, we have to pay out £££ to get rid. Surely there’s a notice period stipulated in the contract, but alas I’m not legal beagle or privy to such info. What would happen if he wanted to retire? Or quit? So many questions ?

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I truly feel for you young lads. The 1994 and 1996 League Cup finals we’re both wonderful. There are some advantages to being an old (ish) git!

I was at the 75, final against Norwich.

10, yrs of age, and even then I had an inkling that Grayson was going to miss the penalty, I can see Keelan diving to knock it on to the post, the rebound seemed harder than the pen, but that's Villa. When have we ever made things easy ? That was some day out, trust me. The beginning of the great reign of Mr, Ron Saunders, what a man.

25 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

10, yrs of age, and even then I had an inkling that Grayson was going to miss the penalty, I can see Keelan diving to knock it on to the post, the rebound seemed harder than the pen, but that's Villa. When have we ever made things easy ? That was some day out, trust me. The beginning of the great reign of Mr, Ron Saunders, what a man.

I was there on my 12th Birthday!!

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do you enjoy anything Dave? 

Ron Saunders , Ron Atkinson, Graham Taylor, Brian,  I was happy with O'Neil and also when Lambert got the job - did you enjoy Gregory ?e

i enjoyed Big Ron better than anyone else tbh - despite some wonderful away days following us to the title - Sunderland, Stoke, Ipswich  for some reason stand out for me??

Edited by Dave J
  • Thanks 1

On 31/07/2018 at 10:21, TRO said:

I do actually agree with that sheepy....don't know about the worthy of respect, but we should have gone after them from the off.

I also get containing.....but there is a time for that as they proved in the second half.

we did it arse about face.

However, i think we should look to the future now.

I really don't get the " containment " method, it was Fulham, for God's sake, not the bubonic plague.

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I really don't get the " containment " method, it was Fulham, for God's sake, not the bubonic plague.

Agreed totally Bruce served up an unforgivable performance for a final 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Ron Saunders , Ron Atkinson, Graham Taylor, Brian,  I was happy with O'Neil and also when Lambert got the job - did you enjoy Gregory ?

To be fair Dave, I must say I enjoyed the Gregory years myself.

He had a great vision for bringing in players and you could see what he was trying to build for the long term, but working under the restraints of Deadly wasn't easy.

Losing Luc Nilis just as de Builde was signed the season after and not being able to sign Carbone where two areas of hard luck for him.

I accept Bosko Balaban was the flop and Alpay was a weird one however, Nilis, Merson, Angel, Schmeichal & Mellberg where some of the great signings he did make.

Anyway, walking away from memory lane and back on topic..  

Bruce out!   :D

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I was there on my 12th Birthday!!

My dad took me. He gave me the Villa, what a beautiful gift, looking at a packed Holte - End with wide - eyed amazement, thinking John Gidman was the coolest geezer on the planet, that was some Perm, Dave. I even seen him in a Chinese up Boldmere, totally star struck. The best right back I've had the privilege of watching, no doubt.

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It doesn't matter who it is......they have their moments of offensive play, we have to defend against it.....rarely can a team go gungho for 90 odd minutes.

Containment is part and parcel of any teams armoury.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I could only get a ticket in the Norwich end....spoilt it a bit.

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair Dave, I must say I enjoyed the Gregory years myself.

He had a great vision for bringing in players and you could see what he was trying to build for the long term, but working under the restraints of Deadly wasn't easy.

Losing Luc Nilis just as de Builde was signed the season after and not being able to sign Carbone where two areas of hard luck for him.

I accept Bosko Balaban was the flop and Alpay was a weird one however, Nilis, Merson, Angel, Schmeichal & Mellberg where some of the great signings he did make.

Anyway, walking away from memory lane and back on topic..  

Bruce out!   :D

Forgive me for asking but was it not Big Ron who signed De Bilde and Carbone? Happy to stand corrected ??

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Ron Saunders , Ron Atkinson, Graham Taylor, Brian,  I was happy with O'Neil and also when Lambert got the job - did you enjoy Gregory ?e

i enjoyed Big Ron better than anyone else tbh - despite some wonderful away days following us to the title - Sunderland, Stoke, Ipswich  for some reason stand out for me??

Actually yeah, I was 15 when Gregory was appointed and I liked him, we had some good players, we had that run up to Christmas when Dublin scored for fun. 

All went to shit eventually but you'd have to go back to Graham Taylor MK1 for the last time a Manager didn't leave us because things had gone to shit. (MoN jumped just before it went to shit, he obviously saw it coming). 

11 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Forgive me for asking but was it not Big Ron who signed De Bilde and Carbone? Happy to stand corrected ??

Carbone played with Merson and Dublin in the cup run where we lost in the 99 final. Remember the Leeds 3-2 at VP earlier in the run where Carbone hit that hat trick, Merson went off bleeding after setting up the third.

• Like 1

Â