Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Looks like he could be getting what feels like a few bonus players into the squad. Couldn't have imagined that 6 weeks ago.

Hope he's not too stubborn going forward with whatever this Mendes thing is. If good players are being offered, he should take them on, not turn his nose up. Don't want another O'Neil type scenario where recruitment became detrimental to the progress of the side.

Having said all that, owning the players and using them properly are very different things. Already a season behind on promotion that should have been comfortable.

If we can find someone for Grealish to pass to, that'll be a big step forward. Woodburn could hopefully be that man.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I certainly would of. How can you even mention the play - off ? We treated Fulham like they were Real Madrid. We were garbage, and the blame lies firmly at the manager's door.

That’s some revisionist bs right there. 

We had a lackluster 1st half and they managed to exploit Albert and Hutton both falling asleep at the same time.

2nd half we were all over them, even the commentators were saying that it was only a matter of time before we scored because the goal was coming.  Then the Fulham lad was sent off and they stopped playing football. For the last 20 minutes they turned it into a time wasting exercise. They used every trick in the book to stop our momentum and it worked.

However if the referee had actually done his job and sent off their player for what seemed to me and everyone around me a potentially career ending stamp on Grealishes knee then we would be in the PL.

Where’s the fun in that ? I love’s me a bit of Bruce baiting.

Wow what an exciting life you must lead.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He took us to a play off final one game away.

i guess you would have preferred Henry?

And then proceeded to do a John Gregory and oversaw one of the most boring finals I had the misfortune to witness - there is no credit for Bruce here I'm afraid 

7 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs...

what are you trying to say ?

?

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Incredible one manager !! That' was  over 10 years ago. Shows how much more difficult its become 

You did say name me one, so I obliged ? admittedly there is only one!! (Disclaimer - to the best of my knowledge!)

• Haha 1

If we make 3 or 4 exciting loan signings between now and the Hull game and Bruce sets up "not to lose", with the usual suspects involved, then it confirms nothing will change and Bruce is a nincompoop of the n'th degree with absolutely zero attacking nouse or intention. A long old season ahead beckons methinks.

Those are my final thoughts in this thread as he doesn't deserve 2000 pages.

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

That’s some revisionist bs right there. 

We had a lackluster 1st half and they managed to exploit Albert and Hutton both falling asleep at the same time.

2nd half we were all over them, even the commentators were saying that it was only a matter of time before we scored because the goal was coming.  Then the Fulham lad was sent off and they stopped playing football. For the last 20 minutes they turned it into a time wasting exercise. They used every trick in the book to stop our momentum and it worked.

However if the referee had actually done his job and sent off their player for what seemed to me and everyone around me a potentially career ending stamp on Grealishes knee then we would be in the PL.

Wow what an exciting life you must lead.

I don't recall a shot on target . 

"An exciting life " ?   When I do fill the void, it's not with a comic book. 

18 hours ago, Rodders said:

Also - we finished 4th, and were one game away from succeeding. A failure but no reason to chuck out the baby with the bathwater. We were close, so better personnel, better coaching, and bit of luck can be the difference.

From who? It's not like Bruce is somehow going to find a new gear in his coaching this season.

6 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Sensible, and I completely agree.  With one caveat.  I think good managers also create a system that suits the strengths and limitations of their team.  I don't see Bruce doing that.  He likes the go wide and swing in crosses attack that you describe.  Of course opponents try to stop that, then we're clueless.  We seem to have nothing else in the locker.  Good managers create a plan B out of the strengths and limitations of the players they have available.

The bottom line difference between the different conclusions we draw, I think, is that I see our players as much more capable than you see them.  

I just don't think our roster was painfully less able than other rosters in the championship.  Hogan has abilities we can't figure out how to use.  Lansbury, Hourihane, were leaders captains, effective and scored frequently for other managers.  Snodgrass is playing for a PL team now.  Elmo has been capable at another lever., Terry clearly has(d) ability, Chester is wanted in the PL, So is Jack.  three of our championship squad were in the world cup finals for Pete's sake.   

If they don't follow instruction, I've never seen Bruce bench a player because he insisted on dropping too deep (against instruction), or failed to make the runs required. 

If they are just lack the ability to do better... Our under 23's are clearly as good (arguably better) than other clubs U-23's based on the league last year.  So he has options.  He's just not doing as well as he should with the playing resources he's had.  Of course, that's my opinion, not yours.

I get your opinion, and time will tell, but if you are right.....the new owners will act.

I don't think our players take it on themselves to defy instruction, i think they just get pushed back and lose ground.

I understand your view about benching them, but maybe HE thinks we have no better to replace them.

If all and sundry, thought the team was good enough.....transfers would not be sanctioned.

i think our players are generally good, just lacking in certain area's thats all.

13 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs regurgitated point vs...

.....Regurgitated point.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

And then proceeded to do a John Gregory and oversaw one of the most boring finals I had the misfortune to witness - there is no credit for Bruce here I'm afraid 

I will not have a bad word said about John Gregory!

• Like 2

Â