Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Forgive me for asking but was it not Big Ron who signed De Bilde and Carbone? Happy to stand corrected ??

No.

Big Ron was sacked in 1994/95, Brian Little followed bringing Evans & Gregory as assistants, Gregory left a while later to become Wycombe manager before coming back to Villa as manager when Deadly sacked Little in 97/98?

De Bilde came after Nilis, as Gregory wanted to reunite the force of PSV.

Carbone was on loan from Sheff Wed and played in the last FA Cup final at old Wembley in year 2000.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

22 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No.

Big Ron was sacked in 1994/95, Brian Little followed bringing Evans & Gregory as assistants, Gregory left a while later to become Wycombe manager before coming back to Villa as manager when Deadly sacked Little in 97/98?

De Bilde came after Nilis, as Gregory wanted to reunite the force of PSV.

Carbone was on loan from Sheff Wed and played in the last FA Cup final at old Wembley in year 2000.

Thanks - I was sure it was Ron - who signed De Bilde but thanks to all who corrected me, I liked him very much technical, skilful and good to watch  but didn't score enough 

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Thanks - I was sure it was Ron - who signed De Bilde but thanks to all who corrected me, I liked him very much technical, skilful and good to watch  but didn't score enough 

The whole idea was to have Nilis & De Bilde at Villa.

They where a force at PSV and had Gregory pulled it off whilst also being backed £££ that little bit more then I feel things may have been a whole lot different.

Gregory years later eventually had enough of Doug and his lack of £££ and left us to sign for Derby County 48hrs later.  I was gutted when he left.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Actually yeah, I was 15 when Gregory was appointed and I liked him, we had some good players, we had that run up to Christmas when Dublin scored for fun. 

All went to shit eventually but you'd have to go back to Graham Taylor MK1 for the last time a Manager didn't leave us because things had gone to shit. (MoN jumped just before it went to shit, he obviously saw it coming). 

Guess we have to agree to disagree - I found his teams very boring to watch although credit where it's due £600k for Merse proved a bargain 

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Guess we have to agree to disagree - I found his teams very boring to watch although credit where it's due £600k for Merse proved a bargain 

I think it was over £6m for Merson.  I still remember the excitiement of reading that he'd signed on Teletext.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it was over £6m for Merson.  I still remember the excitiement of reading that he'd signed on Teletext.

Was the Yorke money squandered on past their best English players though. We didn't get any real long term benefits from Merson, Dublin and Steve Watson. If we had a better scouting network at the time they could have got a lot better for the money. Mark Delaney was a bargain though.

17 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Eh? We paid around £6mil for Merson.

The £14 million for Mark Delaney was pretty good business though it has to be said, even though it seemed a lot at the time.

Edit: Sorry that was Garde that signed Delaney wasn't it 

Edited by YLN
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, YLN said:

The £14 million for Mark Delaney was pretty good business though it has to be said, even though it seemed a lot at the time.

Edit: Sorry that was Garde that signed Delaney wasn't it 

UrLr.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I rememember the absolute steaming pile o turd we were in strikers wise when we got De Bilde in.....we were not in much better shape after he arrived tbh!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I rememember the absolute steaming pile o turd we were in strikers wise when we got De Bilde in.....we were not in much better shape after he arrived tbh!

He must of been pants, because I don't even remember him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

He must of been pants, because I don't even remember him.

He came in on loan in a time when we would have used a shoe tied to the goalpost as a striker.....he left upstaged by the shoe!

Its no wonder he is not remembered!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

I have no idea what is happening in here. I'm scared!

Basically everyone decided a few pages back that yes, Steve Bruce is the greatest manager ever and is exactly who we need to lead us into the future. He will get us promoted to the PL and Man City will sack Pep in the hope that they can lure Steve from us but he will say, naw way man, I'm a Villa man now through and through and he's gonna lead us to Champions League glory every year for the next 45 years and during that time we will also win the World Cup 8 times apart from when it's held in Azerbaijan (we refuse to go out of protest.) All these conclusions were led by @sheepyvillian and so now we're just talking about past managers to pass the time.

I think that just about sums it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Eh? We paid around £6mil for Merson.

Your right - but it was a bargain regardless, Merse was great for us - head and shoulders above anything we had at the time.

my apologies regarding the fee??

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

My dad took me. He gave me the Villa, what a beautiful gift, looking at a packed Holte - End with wide - eyed amazement, thinking John Gidman was the coolest geezer on the planet, that was some Perm, Dave. I even seen him in a Chinese up Boldmere, totally star struck. The best right back I've had the privilege of watching, no doubt.

Quite a few of the players back then used to drink in the Cork and Bottle in Boldmere. Gidman was a regular as was Alex Cropley, Andy Gray, Sid Cowans and a few more. Footballers were much more accessible then, nobody was taking pictures of them on mobile phones when they’d got a beer of two inside them. Happy days :)  

Â