Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

We should be able to glean something from Bruce's Press Conference tomorrow, I would think.

Yes, we will find out what a hard job it is going to be for him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he attempts to spin last years failure by linking it to current issues. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes, we will find out what a hard job it is going to be for him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he attempts to spin last years failure by linking it to current issues. 

Sadly I would predict that this is exactly what will happen.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Spot on with that...

Atleast we can look forward to a wet Tuesday in the EFL cup.. where we will be reminded of what a great occasion it will be under the floodlights at Villa Park.. you can smell the hotdogs and all the other bullshit!

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

We should be able to glean something from Bruce's Press Conference tomorrow, I would think.

I wonder how many empty chairs there will be for new signings and if we will take this opportunity to introduce our new mega rich owner?:D

22 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ultimately yes, but, if just 50% of the rumours become truth then just making the playoffs next season could be an achievement in itself.

It will not satisfy people and it's not what we should be aiming for but it may still prove to be an admirable finish (if we end up with a squad largely made up of youth players, which, if you believe the gossip looks pretty likely).

Making the playoffs with a squad largely made up of youth players? I would take that. That would be more than I expect.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You can be sure his failure won't be his fault anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Making the playoffs with a squad largely made up of youth players? I would take that. That would be more than I expect.

It ain't going to happen unless we change the manager. We hardly played on the front foot last season even with a far superior side to most of our opponents. I think we're going to be a really negative side this season, so ,IMO, you can forget the play - off's. I can see people screaming for the managers head after the first few games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It ain't going to happen unless we change the manager. We hardly played on the front foot last season even with a far superior side to most of our opponents. I think we're going to be a really negative side this season, so ,IMO, you can forget the play - off's. I can see people screaming for the managers head after the first few games.

I don't see any point in waiting.

Bruce OUT!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree with you. My expectations are extremely low with Bruce remaining.

And I doubt he will play many youth players.

I was responding to another poster who had suggested that scenario.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2018 at 19:50, ciggiesnbeer said:

Bloody hell Mick "will work on the cheap" McCarthy is still out there isnt he? That would be the final cut. :(

He is an underrated manager and knows the Championship well. Played best football Ireland ever played in 30 years and blooded our golden generation. He has never really got the budget to implement this in club football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Apparently Bruce isn't back until tomorrow..........got to be a reasonable chance he is axed as well - although his rolling contract might save him. 

Is that a common thing that the manager isn't on hand when the players return?

Seems a bit odd.

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Honestly baffles me that he's gonna get yet another chance at this club.

Think he's in (highly paid) Limbo atm.

No one is running the club and in position to make decisions.

Sure Xia is looking into ways of getting rid of him without having to pay compensation, best case scenario he's poached by some other club. Or he resigns, but can't see him walking away from such a big contract.

Doubt he really want's to be here anymore with his friends gone and no budget. And for where the club is now he's not the right fit and on too big a contract to justify him remaining.

Just too expensive to sack atm.

It's a waiting game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whatever your opinions of Bruce - I am pretty sure Xia would conjure up someone worse as his replacement.

Yeah likely so.

Hopefully it won't be his club by then and someone with a clue about football will be making the call.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Given that some individuals were screaming for the manager’s head for the whole of last season, whatever the results, and have been doing the same throughout the closed season so far, I would be amazed if it took until a few games in for the same individuals to be screaming for his head.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Is that a common thing that the manager isn't on hand when the players return?

Seems a bit odd.

First day back for players is usually just fitness tests so don't need the manager to be there.

• Confused 1

On 02/07/2018 at 16:54, Vive_La_Villa said:

Which is precisely why I feel his main motivation to stay is his salary. 

We’ve gone full circle :)

Agree with the logic here, but I still think Bruce has some old school values and will be feeling guilty for not getting us up last season. As poor as he is tactically, don’t think you can fault his values as a man. 

If you put yourself in his shoes, what would keep you here?

The Director of Football, a man respected in the game, experienced in coaching, management and the business of football, the man that recommended  Bruce and one of his key allies behind the scenes - responsible for the scouting, the management of the physios, the data team, the logistics of managing the footballers outside of training and matches has gone - to be replaced by a chap who finished his degree two years ago and is in position here by virtue of speaking the same language as the owner.

The CEO has gone, the man responsible for Bruce's budgets, for contracts, but helping the club generate the money that allows for a better squad, and the man that hired Bruce, a man that he could work with - replaced by an absent owner or his HR Director, neither of whom would claim to have the connections or the relevant experience to do the job full time.

His squad, minus seven or eight of the players he had last year, with no real chance of replacements on the horizon, short in a number of key areas and at risk in any area of strength to bids by those that recognise our need to sell to survive.

A fan base hoping for the playoffs against a background that suggests we should be holding out for survival in this league - the expectation of booing starting in around October as those particular chickens come home to roost and inevitable turning on Bruce as the only figurehead available for anger.

I can't think of any reason why Steve Bruce, or any other manager worth their salt would want to be here right now and I genuinely fear for what we'd replace him with, or what we could afford to replace him with. 

There's a vacuum at Villa Park right now, no leadership, no planning, no money - Bruce would leave another hole - and it's a worry.

I wonder if Mark Delaney would fancy the job?

• Like 3

Â