Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's very possible but from my loose understanding of what happened at Hull I believe he was given assurances around having a transfer pot of x amount which never materialised, as such he felt he could not carry out the job and left, I'd imagine it was very similar to the MoN walkout here in that respect.

Whilst he may still walk, he can't claim that it's due to broken assurances, surely he knows as well as anyone and better than most what financial position we're in.

I wonder if he thought (as may well prove to be the case) that he would not be allowed to replace players we released and sold with even free transfer or loan signings because we couldn't add any more names to our wage bill?

I suspect Bruce is keeping quiet and waiting on what might actually  happen in the next 3 weeks. If come August Xia is still here,  the best players have been sold,  we have no money, and are in a good chance of administration then Bruce will walk. In the meantime I think he is keeping his powder dry and working on a day to day basis at the club. Even in our diminished standing I can't see many other comparable championship clubs Bruce would go to in the short term instead of us either.

Bruce is now in a no-lose situation, unless we go under, which is highly unlikely. Whether Bruce walks, is sacked or just does a piss poor job, the blame will fall on the shoulders of those that run the club and have made the Aston Villa manager role more difficult than a fingerless fluffer.

The perfect excuses have already been written for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Bruce is now in a no-lose situation, unless we go under, which is highly unlikely. Whether Bruce walks, is sacked or just does a piss poor job, the blame will fall on the shoulders of those that run the club and have made the Aston Villa manager role more difficult than a fingerless fluffer.

This can be the only logically reason he is sticking around. Must be on a good wage too. 

I can see him getting sacked during the season whilst we languish near the bottom. His replacement won’t be able to do much better but hopefully does enough to keep us up.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This can be the only logically reason he is sticking around. Must be on a good wage too. 

I can see him getting sacked during the season whilst we languish near the bottom. His replacement won’t be able to do much better but hopefully does enough to keep us up.

The only logical reason. Really? 

Maybe, just maybe his professional pride is hurting and he wants to give it another go, despite the inevitable financial constraints. 

Maybe, he still sees this as his biggest job, and still sees the potential to achieve something really significant. 

People talking about ready made excuses like he needs them, the guy lost both his parents within weeks of eachother and he was still front and centre on the touchline just days after both. 

People can question his style, his tactics etc - that's fair game, people will always disagree but that is fair game. 

To question his integrity is personal, petty and pretty sad in my book. 

Edit - based on him still being here of course come kick off, I think it's still very much in the balance personally 

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The only logical reason. Really? 

Maybe, just maybe his professional pride is hurting and he wants to give it another go, despite the inevitable financial constraints. 

Maybe, he still sees this as his biggest job, and still sees the potential to achieve something really significant. 

People talking about ready made excuses like he needs them, the guy lost both his parents within weeks of eachother and he was still front and centre on the touchline just days after both. 

People can question his style, his tactics etc - that's fair game, people will always disagree but that is fair game. 

To question his integrity is personal, petty and pretty sad in my book. 

Edit - based on him still being here of course come kick off, I think it's still very much in the balance personally 

Who’s questioning his integrity? He is looking after number one and so he should be. 

I’ve no doubt he will give his best if stays as manager. I just don’t think his best will be enough. I personally don’t think any managers best will be enough once we see the squad we start the season with. 

It’s going to be a horrible season 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Who’s questioning his integrity? He is looking after number one and so he should be. 

I’ve no doubt he will give his best if stays as manager. I just don’t think his best will be enough. I personally don’t think any managers best will be enough once we see the squad we start the season with. 

It’s going to be a horrible season 

Saying the only logical reason he's staying is because of his wage and a perceived no lose situation is questioning his integrity, his professional integrity at least. 

We don't know what we don't know yet, things change quickly (as we know from the buzz of potential promotion to the despair of potential administration). 

Sure, things ain't seeming great, lots of rumour and hearsay but we're still here, we have the fixtures for next season, we're relaying the pitch ready for next season, we still have a Manager (for now) and as of yet no one we didn't expect not to leave, has left. 

Right now I'm still looking forward to the start of the season, may change quickly of course but no point fretting about something I can't accurately predict or control. 

5 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

This is exactly what I’ve said. It’s win win situation for Bruce along with a handsome wage. 

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Saying the only logical reason he's staying is because of his wage and a perceived no lose situation is questioning his integrity, his professional integrity at least. 

We don't know what we don't know yet, things change quickly (as we know from the buzz of potential promotion to the despair of potential administration). 

Sure, things ain't seeming great, lots of rumour and hearsay but we're still here, we have the fixtures for next season, we're relaying the pitch ready for next season, we still have a Manager (for now) and as of yet no one we didn't expect not to leave, has left. 

Right now I'm still looking forward to the start of the season, may change quickly of course but no point fretting about something I can't accurately predict or control. 

I don’t think it’s questioning his integrity at all. If anything its complimenting him and his nous to do what’s best for himself in the current situation. 

Unless you honestly think we have a chance of being successful next season?  If that’s the case then I can see why you may feel the way you do about the comments on Bruce.

I personally think you’re being a little naive mate. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

@briny_ear

I got your post by email notification but can’t see it in here. I honestly don’t believe that thinking Bruce’s main motivation to stay being money is questioning his integrity. 

I actually think it’s quite a sensible move by him. 

He is lot wiser than many give him credit for.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

@briny_ear

I got your post by email notification but can’t see it in here. I honestly don’t believe that thinking Bruce’s main motivation to stay being money is questioning his integrity. 

I actually think it’s quite a sensible move by him. 

He is lot wiser than many give him credit for.

I think it’s  been deleted. (Not by me.)

Bit of a systems failure I guess, that a deleted post is nonetheless notified by email! ?

Let me say again, I believe you have no grounds for making assumptions about Bruce’s motivation. This is pure ungrounded speculation.

Edited by briny_ear

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think it’s questioning his integrity at all. If anything its complimenting him and his nous to do what’s best for himself in the current situation. 

Unless you honestly think we have a chance of being successful next season?  If that’s the case then I can see why you may feel the way you do about the comments on Bruce.

I personally think you’re being a little naive mate. 

Whats naive? 

To think that a guy with a 35 odd year career in football might have a smidgeon of professional pride? 

• Like 1

At the moment if we lose all our decent players and have a whole new team or some how by the grace of God keep them, for me at this point, the best thing could possibly be keeping Bruce.

Bare with me, I think Bruce is a nice guy and most players actually like playing for him, so with him still wanting to be here it will motivate the squad and then we won’t get relegated and hopefully during the season the club can stabilise.

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Whats naive? 

To think that a guy with a 35 odd year career in football might have a smidgeon of professional pride? 

His professional pride will ensure he gives it his all. 

The naive part was you thinking we had a chance of promotion next season.  

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

At the moment if we lose all our decent players and have a whole new team or some how by the grace of God keep them, for me at this point, the best thing could possibly be keeping Bruce.

Bare with me, I think Bruce is a nice guy and most players actually like playing for him, so with him still wanting to be here it will motivate the squad and then we won’t get relegated and hopefully during the season the club can stabilise.

Whilst I agree with this I think whoever the manager is he will struggle and ultimately be sacked during the season.  If it’s Bruce fans will say we should have got rid of sooner. If It’s somebody else fans will say we should have kept Bruce. 

In reality I bet it will be due to a very average playing squad. 

I’m just praying for a takeover to save the day and then everything changes. 

• Like 2

Despite the financial mess the club seem to be in, there isn’t any chance in hell that Villa will be relegated next season if Bruce is in charge. Under him Villa will still be organised and won’t concede too many.

Even with Grealish and Chester sold plus the return of the loanees there is still enough in the present squad with good young players coming through to sustain mid table Championship status.

Personally, with much lower expectations, I still feel Villa will surprise a few next season and with a bit of luck may squeeze into the playoffs whether new owners are in place or not?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think it’s  been deleted. (Not by me.)

Bit of a systems failure I guess, that a deleted post is nonetheless notified by email! ?

Let me say again, I believe you have no grounds for making assumptions about Bruce’s motivation. This is pure ungrounded speculation.

We don't want to be 'briefing' against Brucie again do we?

Â