Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't help but think this angle is greatly exaggerated by you and a few others on here.

Is it though Stevo? I think it's pretty dam bang on the money and I know you will call me obsessed but I have also been proven correct in terms of you know who - despite your constant berating of what I posted about him - time did prove me right .

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Is it though Stevo? I think it's pretty dam bang on the money and I know you will call me obsessed but I have also been proven correct in terms of you know who - despite your constant berating of what I posted about him - time did prove me right .

Can always count on Dave ?

Mate I swear to god before I even got done reading the post I genuinely chuckled saying let's see how Dave finds a way to integrate "You know who" into this statement.

@Dave J #LEGEND

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Just want to say that I called it.  Bruce supporters were unfazed by the MOMS article.  

Teflon Bruce to some.  

Most likely because the MOMS article was shit from beginning to end. I’m sorry if Villatalk is going to become the vehicle for shoddy writing like this to be promulgated any further than the waste bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Most likely because the MOMS article was shit from beginning to end. I’m sorry if Villatalk is going to become the vehicle for shoddy writing like this to be promulgated any further than the waste bin.

I'm not on either side, more of a bystander at this point as I can't be bothered to invest time and emotion thinking about it over the summer, but you're absolutely right, why would what is effectively a long-form forum post masquerading as an "article" change anyones mind?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I have no idea why you've brought Gabby into this :D 

Obsessed.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

How does it work with his rolling contract? It doesn't just 'roll on' forever, so surely there is a clause in there that allows us to give notice that it will not roll on in the following year? Allowing us to then decide in the summer whether we offer him a renewal or tell him bye bye.

Please, no. Not another season of that crap.

18 hours ago, Rob182 said:

How does it work with his rolling contract? It doesn't just 'roll on' forever, so surely there is a clause in there that allows us to give notice that it will not roll on in the following year? Allowing us to then decide in the summer whether we offer him a renewal or tell him bye bye.

Yes it does - thats the whole point of a rolling contract - it can't be a 'bit of rolling contract'  - it Rolls on so it always has a year to run.  Ron Saunders had one - The Bendalls  tried to alter it , which led to Saunders resigning. 

I really wouldn't rule out Bruce resigning in the next couple of weeks. I think he will pretty swiftly demand answers from Steve Round - which I doubt he will get - he will then leave by mutual consent  IMO

Edited by hippo

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes it does - thats the whole point of a rolling contract - it can't be a 'bit of rolling contract'  - it Rolls on so it always has a year to run.  Ron Saunders had one - The Bendalls  tried to alter it , which led to Saunders resigning. 

I really would rule out Bruce resigning in the next couple of weeks. I think he will pretty swiftly demand answers from Steve Round - which I doubt he will get - he will then leave by mutual consent  IMO

I understand the point of a rolling contract, thank you, I was just curious as to whether there could be a clause that allows the rolling to stop (after a year, which he is due the wages for, of course).

We know that players and managers have had clauses before. 'Allow to terminate contract if fail at X,Y,Z', 'reduction of wages by x% if relegated' etc etc.

So from what you're telling me, if, for example, we got relegated this season, and the financial issues continued to the point that we couldn't pay him off, he could chose to stay at the club further costing us season after season on a Premier League managers wage, just because his contract rolls on forever until we decide to pay him off.

49 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bruce will stay for the fat salary and the low expectation easy ride through the upcoming season. 

Yeah, cos if there's one thing you can be sure of about Bruce, it's that he's that kind of person ?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Yeah, cos if there's one thing you can be sure of about Bruce, it's that he's that kind of person ?

Pity you did not include my second sentence - `can't really blame him', I said.

Anyway, you seem to know him, I don't, so I will take your word that he is not that kind of person.

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I understand the point of a rolling contract, thank you, I was just curious as to whether there could be a clause that allows the rolling to stop (after a year, which he is due the wages for, of course).

We know that players and managers have had clauses before. 'Allow to terminate contract if fail at X,Y,Z', 'reduction of wages by x% if relegated' etc etc.

So from what you're telling me, if, for example, we got relegated this season, and the financial issues continued to the point that we couldn't pay him off, he could chose to stay at the club further costing us season after season on a Premier League managers wage, just because his contract rolls on forever until we decide to pay him off.

Yes.

If any manager gets the sack they are entitled to the rest of their contract paid up front. For Bruce thats one years salary.  Typically though a manager doesn't want to stay, but doesn't want to resign and miss a big payday - the club want him gone, but don't want to cough up the full contract  - so it who blinks first. Generally the two sides get together and agree a compensation package - less than the manager is entitled to - but not so low as he thinks he is better off taking the club to court.  The departure of Remi Garde is a good example of this. 

In all cases though it is reported as the manager "getting sacked" - rather left by mutual consent ! 

If Bruce is the manager that some posted have been suggesting he should be able to intergrate some of our better youth players and maintain the team spirit and have us firmly in the top half of the division. I don't expect promotion. 

My worry is that he isn't that good and we will be desperately fighting relegation

On 27/06/2018 at 14:01, kiltorken said:

Again, you seem to be having difficulty grasping the concept of cherry-picking.

Oh dear. 

Websters English dictionary defines cherry picking as:

"Selectively choose (the most beneficial or profitable items, opportunities, etc.) from what is available."

No issue with understanding the concept of Cherry picking here. ? Thanks for trying though. Let's apply this to what happened in this thread:

You chose to selectively chose a time and date when the club was in its worst position to back your argument as to what was achievable for the manager (in your mind - not the clubs) and criticize the point in time someone else chose, where the club was in a more favourable position and actually the stated objectives were easier to achieve. 

The fact that your cherry picked date was the day he started - is irrelevant. It is still Cherry picking a situation to support your (false) narrative.

Can you provide any evidence that the expected target for Bruce from the club for that season was promotion?

Good god, not this sh*t again. Amazing!

Google it yourself or read back through this thread, or read one of the quotes that others have helpfully responded with, where everyone in authority at the club said that his target was promotion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

If Bruce is the manager that some posted have been suggesting he should be able to intergrate some of our better youth players and maintain the team spirit and have us firmly in the top half of the division. I don't expect promotion. 

My worry is that he isn't that good and we will be desperately fighting relegation

Yes, but if that happens, it wont be his fault of course, it would be ridiculous to expect anything other than a relegation battle given the state of our club. He will become a miracle worker by keeping us up, and if we do get relegated its only to be expected really, his hands were tied.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Wonder what the chance is of history repeating and him walking at the 11th hour like O'Neill?

I believe they call that a Brucie Bonus.

3 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

Wonder what the chance is of history repeating and him walking at the 11th hour like O'Neill?

It's very possible but from my loose understanding of what happened at Hull I believe he was given assurances around having a transfer pot of x amount which never materialised, as such he felt he could not carry out the job and left, I'd imagine it was very similar to the MoN walkout here in that respect.

Whilst he may still walk, he can't claim that it's due to broken assurances, surely he knows as well as anyone and better than most what financial position we're in.

Â