Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

His professional pride will ensure he gives it his all. 

The naive part was you thinking we had a chance of promotion next season.  

Bizarre, we weren't discussing promotion and pretty sure I didnt say that but okay. 

Think you may have confused the situation there. 

Edit - along with the other 23 teams though we do, right now, have a chance at promotion next season so even if were discussing that you're still wrong. 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Bizarre, we weren't discussing promotion and pretty sure I didnt say that but okay. 

Think you may have confused the situation there. 

Edit - along with the other 23 teams though we do, right now, have a chance at promotion next season so even if were discussing that you're still wrong. 

I’m sure you mentioned something along the lines of Bruce wanting to be successful.

I would have thought that means promotion. 

Also your edit is like saying Cardiff have a chance of winning the league next season. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m sure you mentioned something along the lines of Bruce wanting to be successful.

I would have thought that means promotion. 

Also your edit is like saying Cardiff have a chance of winning the league next season. 

They do.

Thats a fact. 

It's opinion to say whether they will or wont. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Bloody hell Mick "will work on the cheap" McCarthy is still out there isnt he? That would be the final cut. :(

I think a lot of people would have said that if we’d appointed Neil Warnock last year. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think a lot of people would have said that if we’d appointed Neil Warnock last year. 

I still do. 

To be clear Mick is excellent in game and is very good at bringing in decent functional players on the cheap. But bloody hell, I have just about lowered my expectations enough that I can "enjoy" Steve Bruce's football. Mick would be yet another massive step down. Sigh. :(

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

They do.

Thats a fact. 

It's opinion to say whether they will or wont. 

so its also fair to say (by that measure) that both we and Cardiff have as much chance of relegation next season as any other team. 

38 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

so its also fair to say (by that measure) that both we and Cardiff have as much chance of relegation next season as any other team. 

Indeed, although @Vive_La_Villa has lost the context on our exchange, we weren't debating the validity of whether or not everyone has a chance of promotion/title (or relegation) in the summer.

We were debating whether or not he had called into question SB's integrity by stating that the only possible reason SB would stay on at Villa would be because of an inflated salary and a perceived no-lose situation.

Whether or not teams have a chance of promotion was a side-issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Indeed, although @Vive_La_Villa has lost the context on our exchange, we weren't debating the validity of whether or not everyone has a chance of promotion/title (or relegation) in the summer.

We were debating whether or not he had called into question SB's integrity by stating that the only possible reason SB would stay on at Villa would be because of an inflated salary and a perceived no-lose situation.

Whether or not teams have a chance of promotion was a side-issue.

I see. I think. I'm so confused. Hopefully someone will buy us and make everything better.

On 30/06/2018 at 12:16, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe, he still sees this as his biggest job, and still sees the potential to achieve something really significant. 

But surely the only thing that would be deemed as an achievement will be promotion. 

Unless you think keeping us in the league will be seen as an achievement? (Personally I do but it still won’t look good on his cv).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But surely the only thing that would be deemed as an achievement will be promotion. 

Unless you think keeping us in the league will be seen as an achievement? (Personally I do but it still won’t look good on his cv).

Ultimately yes, but, if just 50% of the rumours become truth then just making the playoffs next season could be an achievement in itself.

It will not satisfy people and it's not what we should be aiming for but it may still prove to be an admirable finish (if we end up with a squad largely made up of youth players, which, if you believe the gossip looks pretty likely).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

your right Dave....goes to show how much we know.

I think he will struggle in the prem but he won't care, its his swansong.

However, what he does do well, is, he gets strength and power in strategic positions, of his line-up , much like Graham Taylor did.

38 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Ultimately yes, but, if just 50% of the rumours become truth then just making the playoffs next season could be an achievement in itself.

It will not satisfy people and it's not what we should be aiming for but it may still prove to be an admirable finish (if we end up with a squad largely made up of youth players, which, if you believe the gossip looks pretty likely).

Ok fair enough. I think he has been around long enough to know wheather the squad is good enough for promotion or not. So it will be interesting if he sticks around if the squad looks very weak. 

I’d like to think the only reason he is staying as manager is he has been given reassurances the squad will remain strong enough to compete for playoffs.

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok fair enough. I think he has been around long enough to know wheather the squad is good enough for promotion or not. So it will be interesting if he sticks around if the squad looks very weak. 

I’d like to think the only reason he is staying as manager is he has been given reassurances the squad will remain strong enough to compete for playoffs.

But given the situation at Villa at the moment - who could possibly give him that assurance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I agree. Based on where we are now, and the fact that I fully expect the situation to get worse (I'm a Villa fan after all), I do think that reaching the playoffs this season would be an excellent achievement. 

Do I believe that Bruce can achieve that? No, I do not.

Do I believe that in an ideal world that he should have the chance? No.

Do I think that we don't really have a choice but to stick with him and hope for the best? Sadly, given our current situation, yes. ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Failed to get us promoted and now keeping us up will be an achievement. I imagine this is why he isn't in any rush to leave. 

Big wages, low expectations and a friendly media willing to spin the clubs issues into any story he wants. 

Why would he give that up? What ever happens he will leave the club looking good, where as he should be held partly responsible. 

• Like 3

Â