Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm struggling to think of a football team that played dull football , and yet won plenty of trophies .

They exist, as people have pointed out.

However we don't need to win trophies with bruce. We need to get promoted.

We can worry about employing a manager who can win trophies when we're back in the Premier league.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Man Utd last season ;)

AC Milan in the 90's, Graham's Arsenal.

Anyway... lets stay on topic.

Thanks Trent.....sorry for drifting.

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If all we're going to do is look around at others with envy then we're never going to be satisfied.

Even if we did start playing expansive football how long would it be before people started asking why we're not as expansive as Barcelona?

Sometimes you just have to be thankful for what you have and after 6 or so years of losing week after week I am happy to be winning games again and operating in the upper echelons of the division.

I think people just need to step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture.

It's not envy I feel when I see Wolves playing us off the park , it's more fustration and embarrassment at the fact that we can look so exposed .

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Man Utd last season ;)

AC Milan in the 90's, Graham's Arsenal.

Anyway... lets stay on topic.

Surely not Sacchi's Milan? They were **** awesome, Rijkaard, Gullit, Van Basten, Baresi, Lentini (for a bti he was amazing till the crash), Ancellotti....

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think you’re missing the point. It’s totally irrelevant what I (or anyone else on this board) think.

The only people who matter are Tony Xia and the Villa board. They obviously thought he had earned another shot. 

It’s a forum where we all like to add our two penny worth- I would hardly say irrelevant otherwise why bother posting? 

I’m happy to add again that he’s not good enough in my view for what it’s worth- not that I expect Dr Tony or wyness to take one not of notice ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave J said:

It’s a forum where we all like to add our two penny worth- I would hardly say irrelevant otherwise why bother posting? 

I’m happy to add again that he’s not good enough in my view for what it’s worth- not that I expect Dr Tony or wyness to take one not of notice ;)

No, but where this started was a comment by Grasshopper about Wagner's first season where...

Oh, never mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

tumblr_n5vnexLYCl1tu7965o1_500.gif

I know posted in jest (I think at least) but though I don't like them as a Club, Chelsea play(ed) a type of football I like. Some of his defensive away performances in individual games might be dull, but overall I liked watching them on the telly, more often than not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If all we're going to do is look around at others with envy then we're never going to be satisfied.

Even if we did start playing expansive football how long would it be before people started asking why we're not as expansive as Barcelona?

Sometimes you just have to be thankful for what you have and after 6 or so years of losing week after week I am happy to be winning games again and operating in the upper echelons of the division.

I think people just need to step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture.

No No No.  didn't you read above.  We can't look at the bigger picture.  we can only look at the RECENT picture.  

More seriously, "the bigger picture" means different things to different people.   (insert gif of shirtless SB at the beach this summer)

22 minutes ago, blandy said:

I know posted in jest (I think at least) but though I don't like them as a Club, Chelsea play(ed) a type of football I like. Some of his defensive away performances in individual games might be dull, but overall I liked watching them on the telly, more often than not.

Thats where beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:)

53 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, to be fair they were absolutely ruthless in their efficiency at dismantling the opposition.

Who needs tactics. eh?  ;)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

My whole point is that we need to look at THIS SEASON.

My personal view is that it's unfair to judge the manager on whether we might beat teams who we haven't played yet.  We've played 6 away games.  The away table needs improving, and indeed IS improving.

I agree that I'll be hoping/expecting that we'll beat some of our direct rivals on their own patch as the season develops.  I also agree with posters who say that our performances haven't always been as polished as I'd like.  Things are going in the right direction this season though.

And I went off this seasons away form table but pointed out it's a problem from last year aswell that needs addressing. In our 2 big away games and I'd actually say 3 we've been awful. Cardiff are this seasons surprise package even though they still carried last seasons form through. When we played Reading Bruce went off of last seasons form when setting up and it was a joke and Wolves look like contenders. 3 big away games 3 awful performances. We have to start getting points at our closest rivals. We've 2 massive away games in a short space of time. Let's see if the improvement is as big as you think. 

Edited by dn1982

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

No, but where this started was a comment by Grasshopper about Wagner's first season where...

Oh, never mind.

Now that‘s the kind of reply I would be proud of.

All your misdemeanors are forgiven :ph34r:

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Agree with this. Especially first time round. They were never Dull they used to just grind teams down. I enjoyed watching them too. 

Anyway Back on topic. We ain't that dull. Just a bit old fashioned. About 25 years ago our style we would be the norm.

• Like 1

Â