Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not sure it’s that certain, we will have to hope we get to find out.

I'd be fine with him not getting one, assuming we appoint a decent replacement. But I'm kind of assuming he'll have earned the chance to keep us up.

Again that logic might be flawed, but I guess we MIGHT find out

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Uh oh. You know what happens in this thread when you use stats to back up your point!

I don’t think anyone disputes the form.

People still question the performances or elements of them, myself included and I think that is justified.

There is a big difference between form and stats in the usual sense they are used, which are often ridiculous.

• Like 1

Why not show stats for Bruce's whole tenure thus far?

Or is that not relevant? 

Don't get me wrong, the last 10 games are looking really good, but therein lies the problem, it is only 10 games. 

We could likewise choose 10 games from last January to March, that will be far from favorable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

People still question the performances or elements of them, myself included and I think that is justified.

There is a big difference between form and stats in the usual sense they are used, which are often ridiculous.

I was being tongue in cheek mate.

I know the genuine reasons behind people's trepidation with Bruce. i hold the same ones.

That being said, it's pretty rich to state that it obviously isn't working when we're sat in the playoff positions with some of the best form in the league.

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Or is that not relevant? 

It gets less and less relevant the longer our good form this season continues.

How long that is remains to be seen.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You're probably right but it wouldnt make sense to let a man loose in the transfers market unless you see him as the future of Aston Villa. 

That's what Steve Round, The Villa Engine, and the Fat Controller are there for though isn't it?  Acquiring players and staff to suit the system.  It makes the managers more disposable.

23 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

That's what Steve Round, The Villa Engine, and the Fat Controller are there for though isn't it?  Acquiring players and staff to suit the system.  It makes the managers more disposable.

It’s the manager's system though. It seems to be the system that’s pissing people off. 

• Like 1

I don't think anyone will disagree that the stats for our last 10 games make good reading. What we need now is to see that run continue and not turn into what happened last season where we hardly won a game for quite some time. But, to be fair, that was after the January transfer window, so a lot of disruption there, plus, Kodjia was away. This time, we can avoid that and the run has started earlier, so maybe we can expect to keep this up and only lose the odd game in 6 or 7.

At the end of the season, as long as we are promoted, nobody will give a toss about how we managed to do it and what style of football we played.

Surely the biggest thing to take from all those tables is Bruce still hasn't addressed our away form fully. We know we get results at home and did all last season but that's not what the problem is. We have to start getting results away at clubs in the top half so far we've looked hopeless. We won't get promoted unless it's rectified. 

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Unfortunately the Villa engine hasn't got Bruce involved. Wyness said immediate priority is promotion so in Jan Bruce will be backed to gain promotion.  Then once up hopefully we can implement it. 

1 hour ago, vreitti said:

Or is that not relevant? 

Don't get me wrong, the last 10 games are looking really good, but therein lies the problem, it is only 10 games. 

We could likewise choose 10 games from last January to March, that will be far from favorable.

Because it makes no difference to our current position.  Last season we all lnow wasnt good enough.  What matters is relevant is now. As shown up above we have been excellent in lat 10 games.  If that continues in the next 10 we will most likely be in the promotion places. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

It’s the manager's system though. It seems to be the system that’s pissing people off. 

The Villa Engine is supposed to be the system we will adopt irrespective of manager.  Like Southampton or Watford have in place.  How far along it is, we don't know.

12 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Surely the biggest thing to take from all those tables is Bruce still hasn't addressed our away form fully. We know we get results at home and did all last season but that's not what the problem is. We have to start getting results away at clubs in the top half so far we've looked hopeless. We won't get promoted unless it's rectified. 

It's not been addressed fully, but the tables show that the trajectory is upward and that's a good sign.  In terms of results away to other top half teams, we've not played enough of them to really draw a conclusion.  You could argue that we were poor away from home at the start of the season and hence the "better' teams beat us, or you could argue that we were poor because we were playing the "better" teams.

In terms of away form in general, I'm not typically one for this "big club" chat but I certainly feel that we're still a novelty in this division and there's a caché attached to beating Aston Villa so whilst I wouldn't see that as an excuse I think it's worth bearing in mind.

9 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Unfortunately the Villa engine hasn't got Bruce involved. Wyness said immediate priority is promotion so in Jan Bruce will be backed to gain promotion.  Then once up hopefully we can implement it. 

I hadn't read that anywhere, so if you have a link I'd love to learn more.  I saw his big interview about it in general, but hadn't seen any progress updates or anything relating to SB.  It'd definitely help the conversation if you can post that link.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree with this r.e: performances - we play terrible football at times.

I think Bruce could be the right man to take us up, and I hope he does, but I don't want him here long term unless he somehow decides to play more attractive football - which is unlikely.  He's a confidence manager IMO and, right now, the players seem confident.  That will garner us some more positive results and hopefully enough to get promoted this season.

FWIW, I think Wolves will start to pull away at the top.  We're battling for 2nd -> 6th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Let them be pissed off, as long as we continue to win games i certianly wont care. Better than that dross conceding in last 10 minutes ider floperto di matteo. 

Also than that clueless fraud sherwood. Bruces style is not entertaining on the eye but at least he seems to have a clue at what he is doing in comparison to some of the previous flops we have had

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I agree with this r.e: performances - we play terrible football at times.

I think Bruce could be the right man to take us up, and I hope he does, but I don't want him here long term unless he somehow decides to play more attractive football - which is unlikely.  He's a confidence manager IMO and, right now, the players seem confident.  That will garner us some more positive results and hopefully enough to get promoted this season.

FWIW, I think Wolves will start to pull away at the top.  We're battling for 2nd -> 6th.

Wolves look good but will they maintain it through Christmas and NY? Half their players, particularly their better players will not have experienced such a busy schedule and going away to Barnsley on a cold and wet winters evening is whole nother proposition

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Wolves look good but will they maintain it through Christmas and NY? Half their players, particularly their better players will not have experienced such a busy schedule and going away to Barnsley on a cold and wet winters evening is whole nother proposition

They will handle it just as well as every other club in the division.

It should be noted, as well, that they play Barnsley away on the 13th January - a full 12 days after their previous game (Brentford at home).  That congested period for Wolves is:

Ipswich (H) - 23rd December
Millwall (A) - 26th December
Bristol City (A) - 30th December
Brentford (H) - 1st January

Whilst no-one wants to go to Millwall on Boxing Day (or, indeed, ever) and Bristol City are a handy enough side, those aren't the most challenging of fixtures.

(Just for comparison, and to get back on topic, Steve Bruce's Villa have to contend with:

Sheffield United (H) - 23rd December
Brentford (A) - 26th December
Middlesbrough (A) - 30th December
Bristol City (H) - 1st January)

Â