Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Taken in isolation I wouldn't have too much of a problem with the performance today. It wasn't that bad although the football was awful but that's to be expected in a derby. The problem is that too often, especially away from home, it's just aimless hoofball.

I think we used to be like that, but haven’t been in recent weeks tbh.

You could tell the occasion got to the players. Glenn Whelan was the only one who looked anything like (maybe Keinan Davis when he came on too, although the game has calmed a bit by then). The rest panicked a lot.

That said, this sort of game was entirely predictable so could’ve started Davis instead of Onomah. I wasn’t too unhappy with that lineup though

He got it wrong today. Davis should have come on at half time for Onomah who had been anonymous in the first half. How he stayed on or the whole game I don't know.

He wasn't brave enough with his substitutions and it has possibly cost us 2 points. Having said that I guess he would point to the fact that we had four very good efforts/chances in the second half.

Overall we are on an excellent run still and can hopefully keep it going with three points at Preston. I'd just like to see Bruce be a bit braver.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't understand how anyone can be 'in despair' seeing that we're in the playoff spots. It doesn't make any sense, especially with what we've had to put up with for the last 5 years or so. 

We are but it's so close it's hard to have faith we will stay there when watching games like that. I hope we can improve on it Wednesday night. 

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He got it wrong today. Davis should have come on at half time for Onomah who had been anonymous in the first half. How he stayed on or the whole game I don't know.

He wasn't brave enough with his substitutions and it has possibly cost us 2 points. Having said that I guess he would point to the fact that we had four very good efforts/chances in the second half.

Overall we are on an excellent run still and can hopefully keep it going with three points at Preston. I'd just like to see Bruce be a bit braver.

Don't agree with this. I think the criticism here would lie with the starting team he chose because the subs he made turned the game around for us IMO.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We are but it's so close it's hard to have faith we will stay there when watching games like that. I hope we can improve on it Wednesday night. 

It was a dirty, scrappy derby - nothing worth losing any sleep over or reading too much into. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But that’s what Blues are all about anyway, let alone on derby day. Their past home results have both been 1-0 wins against Sheffield Wednesday (who many tipped to be up there this season) and Cardiff (who were top at the time).

This is a complete over-reaction generally. Derby games are always like this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I don't understand how anyone can be 'in despair' seeing that we're in the playoff spots. It doesn't make any sense, especially with what we've had to put up with for the last 5 years or so. 

Because rather than just looking at the league table some of us look at things like budget, squad depth and performance. 

Cardiff have spent £2m since Warnock took over. 

Blues have been a joke for years.

Leeds had a narcissist chairman who played russian roulette with his managers.

Can we stop with this nonsense about the mess Bruce inherited? He inherited the wealthiest squad in the league. Broke a tranfer record on Hogan, spent a king ransom in wages on Terry Hurihane and Lansbury. Working for a new chairman and little reminence left from the 5 yrs that preceeded him. 

There isn't a manager in the championship thst wouldn't crawl through shit to inherit the same "mess"

Just now, bobzy said:

But that’s what Blues are all about anyway, let alone on derby day. Their past home results have both been 1-0 wins against Sheffield Wednesday (who many tipped to be up there this season) and Cardiff (who were top at the time).

This is a complete over-reaction generally. Derby games are always like this!

But we also have played like this plenty of times when it hasn't been a derby game. If this performance was a complete one off I'd agree but to be honest it matches a lot of what we've seen since bruce became the manager. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've played like that a lot under Bruce. I think the derby is a bit of a cop out for it. 

It's a fair point but it really depends on whether you place more importance on results or performance. For me, it's the former, every time. 

Edited by lexicon

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Because rather than just looking at the league table some of us look at things like budget, squad depth and performance. 

Cardiff have spent £2m since Warnock took over. 

Blues have been a joke for years

Blues have spent the 4th most in the division this season.

”Some of us” getting trotted out always gives me a lol though. 

“Some of us” can see past blind hatred of an individual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But we also have played like this plenty of times when it hasn't been a derby game. If this performance was a complete one off I'd agree but to be honest it matches a lot of what we've seen since bruce became the manager. 

Right.... which games?

Edit: my point here being that we haven’t played like that recently. It’s been fairly dull but OK wins on the whole. 

Edited by bobzy

Just now, lexicon said:

It's a fair point but I really depends on whether you place more importance on results or performance. For me, it's the former, every time. 

Results are obviously the most important thing. But performances give an idea on how consistent those results will be. For me I just can't see us doing enough to go up if we play like that. Hopefully Wednesday will be an improvement and show it was more about the derby 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Results are obviously the most important thing. But performances give an idea on how consistent those results will be. For me I just can't see us doing enough to go up if we play like that. Hopefully Wednesday will be an improvement and show it was more about the derby 

So far, the only games we haven’t won in the last 7 have been derby games, away from home. 

Doesnt that kind of show you what you’re looking for?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Right.... which games?

Which games have we played long ball poor football? 

There's been plenty. I'm sure if I produce a list though you'll disagree with how we've played in them. That's fine. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's a fair point but it really depends on whether you place more importance on results or performance. For me, it's the former, every time. 

Over the long term it's going to be the performances which get the results.

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Which games have we played long ball poor football? 

There's been plenty. I'm sure if I produce a list though you'll disagree with how we've played in them. That's fine. 

Not at all. I’m curious which games you’ve thought have been the same as today. 

Just now, bobzy said:

So far, the only games we haven’t won in the last 7 have been derby games, away from home. 

Doesnt that kind of show you what you’re looking for?

I think recent form has been good. I've given him credit as I didn't expect to be in the top 6 so soon after the abysmal start we had. But this is a 46 game season and while it's been good recently I still don't see enough to give me confidence he will take us up. 

Â