Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I don't know, I didn't respond to it because it sounded like some sexual deviance.  I was afraid I might like it.

You need to get out more:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It is, that is true. It remains to be seen if Bruce’s form means anything or if he needs sending to the glue factory.

I still have my doubts he is the man for the job at hand based on his tenure to date but recent results (more than performances) have been encouraging.

Just thought I’d answer as one of his main detractors.

You might like to know, he speaks well of you.:)

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Let's not forget, Aston Villa were stinking out the Premier League for a good few years before we became the turd that WOULD flush. 

That should have been the blurb in the 'forgotten' 2015-16 DVD season review classic. One day it will be released like Blade Runner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He won there last year , and that certainly didn't win me over . If we perform in the same manner as our last visit there , then I can assure you , their will be no winning me over, regardless of the result. 

He did? I am sure your wrong there :P

21 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Ok we are USUALLY forced into a defensive sitting back like complete victims of the opposition.  With no plan of our own.  Yeah, I see what you mean now.  -_-

I'm agreeing with you. I'm just saying that Saturday wasn't an example of that.

I have wanted to keep Bruce this season because i think he's our best chance of getting us up. I have also been an advocate of the 'Atkins treatment' if he does as his football is poor and I just don't believe he's capable of building a top half Premiership side in the modern era - which should be our goal at least within a couple of seasons.

That said, I thought the performance against Fulham was very good and results have been good for a while now. Much more of that and I'll be unable to justify my position - but my patience with him in the Prem would be thin.

Still, for now he deserves real credit. The first manager to significantly improve our results since Martin O'Neill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

We'd all say David Wagner is looking like a good manager.  He's done well.  Really well actually.

He took over at Huddersfield in November 2015, and guided them to 19th place with a pretty poor record.  The following season they came flying out of the blocks, went on a patchy run around October, flew again for a couple of months and then stumbled home and into the play-offs where they twice won on penalties.

I think it's interesting to look at how different his second season was compared to his first, and how a good many folks would've seen him as a Poundland (or Dollarama, or Eurostore depending on how you view it) Jürgen Klopp in the summer of 2016.  I think to a certain extent that first part of his tenure should be written off, and the impact of his second season looked at in isolation.  He needed time to get things to work, and to get his influx of players to gel.

Sound familiar?  Let's not forget, Aston Villa were stinking out the Premier League for a good few years before we became the turd that WOULD flush.  Bruce inherited a club in absolute ruins.  Mass redundancies, sub-standard players on high wages, players absolutely taking the piss, a coaching team in a mess, and a relatively new leadership team.  The place was on course to do what Sunderland are doing now, but potentially even worse.

I'm not his biggest fan, and I'm not sure how well he'd fair with us in the Premier League.  To a certain extent it'll depending on the cash available as to how ANY manager will fair in the PL these days.  But I think it's unfair to now dwell too much on what we did last season.  We should judge him on this season, and what I've seen this season hasn't blown me away - but it has generally improved as we've gone along.  Apart from that Wolves match, we've seen the goalkeeper get better and look more confident, the defence look more of a unit and become increasingly difficult to breach, the midfield starting to offer some goals and work together (although it's still the weak area for me), and a forward line with a level of versatility and options.  We've even seen some variance in SB's tactics depending on opposition and circumstance.

When working with sports scientists I've heard them talk a lot about "marginal gains".  Incremental advantages that build and eventually make a difference.  I feel like we're starting to see some of that this season, and I'd be hard pressed to say he's not doing a good job at this moment in time.

I‘d go as far as to say that playing to some kind of style/system......etc takes time and if there were signs that Wagners ways would bare fruit then it‘s understandable that the Hudd‘s board didnt pull the plug.

In Bruces case, under RDM we played well but had no midfield a suspect defence & GK thus conceeding goals.

It‘s just that Bruce has instilled shyte hoofball with players that didnt fit that way. How obvious does it have to be that if thats the way he does things and it aint working he isnt the one to change.

Whereas Wagners way has proved successfull then good on him. Bruces way has proved tedious to watch and till now unsuccessfull then bad on him.

The problem with bad on him is that its bad on us too.

Oh to be like the Hudds, PL and beating ManU eh?

32 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I‘d go as far as to say that playing to some kind of style/system......etc takes time and if there were signs that Wagners ways would bare fruit then it‘s understandable that the Hudd‘s board didnt pull the plug.

In Bruces case, under RDM we played well but had no midfield a suspect defence & GK thus conceeding goals.

It‘s just that Bruce has instilled shyte hoofball with players that didnt fit that way. How obvious does it have to be that if thats the way he does things and it aint working he isnt the one to change.

Whereas Wagners way has proved successfull then good on him. Bruces way has proved tedious to watch and till now unsuccessfull then bad on him.

The problem with bad on him is that its bad on us too.

Oh to be like the Hudds, PL and beating ManU eh?

Leaving aside the contentious twaddle in this post (in particular leaving alone the proposition that a team with no midfield and a dodgy defence could ever play well!), just to focus on the bit highlighted. 

I wonder if it hads ever occurred to you that Dr Xia and the Villa board thought Bruce had shown enough to earn another season of handling the very different task of turning around the sinking, floundering ship that is Aston Villa?

If they didn’t think that, it’s really hard to see why they didn’t fulfil your fervent dream and sack him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Just an analogy.

if jimmy white was playing one side of the road and Steve Davis the other....the fans would flock to see Jimmy White.

.....but Steve Davis won all the trophies.

its just what you value, its opinions.

As good as JW was, he was no Alex Higgins.

But its a bad analogy anyway SD could really turn the screw, knew how to kill opponents off and could do all the amazing shots.

JW just went for everything, if it came off great, if not, he came 2nd out of 2.

Anyway SB is no SD by any stretch of the imagination.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Leaving aside the contentious twaddle in this post (in particular leaving alone the proposition that a team with no midfield and a dodgy defence could ever play well!), just to focus on the bit highlighted. 

contentious twaddle what on earth are you on about?

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I wonder if it hads ever occurred to you that Dr Xia and the Villa board thought Bruce had shown enough to earn another season of handling the very different task of turning around the sinking, floundering ship that is Aston Villa?

If they didn’t think that, it’s really hard to see why they didn’t fulfil your fervent dream and sack him.

I‘m not gonna argue the merits of RDM‘s play with you. Of course a team can „play well“ when they pile forward and create chance after chance. Do you not remember the flack the players got for selfish play and woefull finishing? the problem was with our MF, defence & GK at the time so we couldnt outscore our opponents.

Surely it must have occured to you that being Wyness‘s & Round‘s recommendation to DrT, Bruce was going to get all the rope he can hang himself with from those 2 and unfortunately whilst Bruce hangs on by the skin of his teeth with a squad capable of much more by just doing enough to get the benefit of doubt, DrT is being a little trigger-shy dont you think?

But anyway, you can have him if you really want. I just hope for the clubs sake we get promoted. I wonder how you will feel if we don‘t? I know that I‘ll be more than just a little upset that Mr Cute & Cuddly didnt get us up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Do you really think he earned another shot after the dross and debacle he served up last season ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see Wagner has been mentioned. This is the man we must pursue if we get promoted. It will be thanks Bruce. Now step aside for Wagner.

the press would have a field day with that one.

Rightly or wrongly Bruce will get a season in the Premier League if we go up. 

5 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Wolves played very well against the best team in the country last night, perhaps not such a bad result as originally feared for Bruce a couple of weeks ago.

And they struggled to beat Preston a few days before.

It was less the result that drew criticism and more the performance and mentality of how we played but let’s not go back there. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

Wolves played very well against the best team in the country last night, perhaps not such a bad result as originally feared for Bruce a couple of weeks ago.

18 changes made between the 2 sides from the weekend so both far from full strength .

we were very poor at wolves and allowed them to play like that - still feel they are very catchable .

• Like 1

Â