Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

They all say that, don't they Rob? - Because it's a get out of jail free card. Managers won't generally criticise a predesessors tactics, or motivational skills, or team selections because it's an attack on a colleague, basically. But by saying the players need to be fitter, or some such, it both answers a press question like "what are you going to do to turn things around" without slagging anyone off, and it also tells the players they need to work hard.

WHen we got a late goal against Newcastle, our "fitness" wasn't an issue.

And as you say., when you're chasing the ball, rather than keeping the ball, it's harder work - we had lots of the ball under RDM so should have been less tired.

And look at Arsenal every year - they always seem to finish a season strongly and start it less well. Their fitness is "different" to that of (say) Burnley. There's stamina over a long season and there's individual game fitness.

Where I do agree is that Bruce clearly wants more "high energy" players in midfield to do the closing and chasing and so on which is essential, whereas RDM seemed more towards wanting to fit in players who have different attributes.

All the lettign in goals late on stuff is/was (IMO) mentality, brought about by years of poor management and being up against teams with better players and better organisation, leading to mental frailty at the back, in particular. Under MON I can remember many a game thinking "we won't concede" under pressure late on, because I felt we had good defenders, with strong minds who were well organised and who knew how to do their jobs. I hope Bruce will be able to set us up similarly, to defend with organisation, discipline and heart. 

I'd disagree on arsenal, I'd say it's the other way round, they tend to start well and tail off around Feb/march

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

admittedly until we scored we didn't look like winning it either.

Pretty much my point when considering future games. But for a moment of brilliance we draw that game 0-0 and regret allowing them to have so much time on the ball and ultimately having less time to create less chances.

Like I've said a zillion times, I have no issue with Saturday. No complaints with Steve Bruce at all. We won the game. But going forward, if he sets us up with same tactic then I think it might bite us in the ass on occasions.

Hopefully, it was just his gameplan for the Fulham game and is able to adapt to other teams as well.

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The rules of the Civil Aviation Authority state specifically that drones with camera'a must not be used over 'conguested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sporting events'.

Guess they could still be used at Saint Andrews on Sunday....

That's very interesting, thanks Trent. 

Certainly in Vietnam, drones flying above the pitch were providing some of the TV footage in games I saw. I wonder which country is in the norm, and which is more of an outlier?

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Pretty much my point when considering future games. But for a moment of brilliance we draw that game 0-0 and regret allowing them to have so much time on the ball and ultimately having less time to create less chances.

Like I've said a zillion times, I have no issue with Saturday. No complaints with Steve Bruce at all. We won the game. But going forward, if he sets us up with same tactic then I think it might bite us in the ass on occasions.

Hopefully, it was just his gameplan for the Fulham game and is able to adapt to other teams as well.

At this level there are not many sides who will play out from the keeper and be happy just to have posession. 

Being so limited in posession and so direct in the prem would be suicide, but down in be championship far less so.

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. I think it depends on your perspective, as I had the pleasure of watching us on Tuesday also I had a bit more faith that the pressure we had started to apply would pay dividends. I still fancied us, whilst being aware of the clock of course. We had started to turn the screw, the changes made a massive difference. 

What I'm really getting at is that as Aston Villa fans we are obviously not hard wired to believe that we will 'nick a win', we watch the games under a bit of a grey cloud. Forever expecting the worst, which in this case would have been a 0-0 draw. Bruce has instilled a bit more faith in me towards the team, whether that be through my belief in him as a manager, the solidity of the performances or whether it's just the difference three points will make towards your mindset, it's working. 

I can't wait for next weekend, I feel like we're going to be on a level playing field. I wouldn't have felt that way only a week ago.     

Things seem to have taken a turn for the better since Bruce's arrival, I think we can all agree on that. Long may it continue but there's still a lot of work to be done on:

Tactics

Togetherness / Squad harmony

Fitness

Learning how to win / close out games (the best way is to be more than 2 goals ahead going into the final 5-10 mins for starters)

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's very interesting, thanks Trent. 

Certainly in Vietnam, drones flying above the pitch were providing some of the TV footage in games I saw. I wonder which country is in the norm, and which is more of an outlier?

I'd like to keep this chat going but I'm afraid I'd be accused of droneing on.

39 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Learning how to win / close out games (the best way is to be more than 2 goals ahead going into the final 5-10 mins for starters)

2 goal leads. What sort of madness is this? 

Such things do not surely exist? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Fulham had won 3 and drew 3 away from home. Their whole game plan is to try and draw you out the hit you quick. Bruce even said it his pre match presser. We've got a manager that actually takes into account the way the opposition plays. In our 2 wins last week Bruce made match winning substitutions. You say there was a moment of brilliance yet we had a few very good chances to score even more and they didn't really have one. If we play the same tactics every game with the same result I won't mind one bit. I doubt he will though as no manager does!! 

• Like 3

Well - I wasn't that keen on Bruce, but I certainly can't complain about the start he's had.  It's fine, fine margins between wins and draws at the moment and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he has been the difference.  I think there is plenty more to come from the squad and I hope he can channel the competitive juices of the attacking players to play for the team, not try to prove themselves individually as they are not all going to be playing all the time.  It does feel a bit that they are all trying to justify selection by individual performance. 

Next up can we please start getting 2 and 3 goal leads to help my heart rate. Thanks.

• Like 1

Fantastic start from him and currently proving it was the smart choice that it looked like it would be 

He seems to do the simple things right and makes decisions that seem right. So far I'm not questioning how he's reached these conclusions, like I have with the past few managers. 

Genuinely feel confident about the game on Sunday. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

Yes I know. I was pointing out how misleading possession stats can sometimes be. We let Fulham have the ball because they were doing **** all with it.

And you nailed it, it's a perfect example. I only wish we had a Defoe, we would be so much more comfortable and our goal difference would be about 10 better, we still need to do more when in possession

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

And you nailed it, it's a perfect example. I only wish we had a Defoe, we would be so much more comfortable and our goal difference would be about 10 better, we still need to do more when in possession

You are right there. I wonder if any other prem club came in for him in Jan, if not, I feel we should make a bid to Sunderland in for him. They are basically **** this season and I would be amazed if Moyes was still there come Jan.

Otherwise, I feel we could see Bent possibly return?

13 hours ago, rubberman said:

Well - I wasn't that keen on Bruce, but I certainly can't complain about the start he's had.  It's fine, fine margins between wins and draws at the moment and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he has been the difference.  I think there is plenty more to come from the squad and I hope he can channel the competitive juices of the attacking players to play for the team, not try to prove themselves individually as they are not all going to be playing all the time.  It does feel a bit that they are all trying to justify selection by individual performance. 

Next up can we please start getting 2 and 3 goal leads to help my heart rate. Thanks.

It's sport—it's always fine margins (ok mostly). How many times do teams dominate the number of chances but they still only win 1-0? It also often happens that a goal comes about because of an opposition mistake or an individual bit of skill. So, yeah, fine margins. But you make your own luck by being set up in the right way and so on, having people press, having decent players (the last part maybe not so much us in recent years—but then we've barely won and we've had chancer managers). 

Edited by praisedmambo

Â